California NorCal Jeep adventures!

NORCAL NEWSFLASH!!

This just happened.
Sprinter on Day of Purchase 08 14 2020.jpg
Rear.jpgInterior 1.jpg

2016 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 2500 4x4 Diesel, 170" WB, high roof Class B motorhome conversion.

Last edited:
My checkbook says 'yes.'

I convinced myself that I might actually get some value from this purchase because it is capable of flat towing my jeep.

GCWR 13,550
GVWR 8550
Curb weight 5566
Payload 2984
Towing Capacity 5000

Certified weight as built, full fuel tank, no driver, no personal gear - 8300#

My jeep's tow weight with fuel and minimal day trip gear, no driver and jerry cans empty 4860#

13,500 - 8300 = 5200 - 4860 flat towed jeep with no tongue weight = 340# left for gear and driver in van to stay under 5000# tow limit and 8550# GVWR.

A little close for comfort but I can make it work.

If not, I just need a lighter jeep for a toad. ;)

Last edited:
The OCD in me cannot wait until I see how you organize that thing!

Your OCD? Can you imagine what the OCD in me is doing right now?

I can't even start for another 2 weeks. I'm leaving Sunday to run the California Back Country Discovery Trail from Downieville to however far north we get by the 24th.

But it will be almost the exact same gear that is in my jeep now. I'll just move it forward to the tow rig.

Your OCD? Can you imagine what the OCD in me is doing right now?

I can't even start for another 2 weeks. I'm leaving Sunday to run the California Back Country Discovery Trail from Downieville to however far north we get by the 24th.

But it will be almost the exact same gear that is in my jeep now. I'll just move it forward to the tow rig.

Is all of that trail suitable for jeeps? I have done a bit of research on it and all that seems to come up is motorcycle trips.

Reactions: Alex01
Last edited:
Reactions: Indy and Alex01
@Rebel_Z we could swap this in the back of your XJ and solve all kinds of problems at once. We would have to research but I think it’s super easy into XJ.

Do you know your stock gear ratio?

Edit: We could swap in @bobthetj03 4.56 than we would only have to do your front axle.

Last edited:
It's smokey as hell near me but we aren't in the path. I saw in the news the governor called in the Aussie's for renforcements.
That's good-ish new that you not in the firing line (pun intended)
The Aussies are out of season for their fires right now so I'm sure they can help.

It really is exhausting poor state is in constantly on fire.

The other day I walked outside the sun was glowing orange from behind the smoke, the car was covered in ashes and they were literally falling from the sky as two neighbors walked by wearing masks. I decided I am living in a apocalypse movie.

It really is exhausting poor state is in constantly on fire.

The other day I walked outside the sun was glowing orange from behind the smoke, the car was covered in ashes and they were literally falling from the sky as two neighbors walked by wearing masks. I decided I am living in a apocalypse movie.
Exactly the same in Roseville yesterday. Today was much better during the day but seems like smoke is picking up again right now.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
@Rebel_Z we could swap this in the back of your XJ and solve all kinds of problems at once. We would have to research but I think it’s super easy into XJ.

Edit: We could swap in @bobthetj03 4.56 than we would only have to do your front axle.

Looks legit. I believe stock gears on the Dana 35 are 4.56:1

Pretty much surrounded by wild fires here. Been an ash tray for the past 4 days. They've evac'd some of the south side of our county as a precaution. North end of Mendocino National forest is now an ash tray. It's getting fucking ridiculous here!