Northern AZ: One Cherokee, 3 Wranglers, but First TJ

coherent

Recently bought a 2001 TJ, so new member here. Had to hunt for a while but finally found one with 4.0, 5 spd, under 100k miles with original Dana 44, track-lock and hardtop. So far so good! In the two weeks since I bought it, new battery, 31x10.5 tires, 2 1/2 lift with new springs and shocks. Only issue is a rear pass axle seal leak. Awaiting my new axle shafts and bearings/seals, and the time to install them then should be ready for the back roads!

What model Wranglers did you have before? Congrats on the purchase by the way!

What model Wranglers did you have before? Congrats on the purchase by the way!

Thanks, had a early 80's CJ-5, a 2000 Cherokee Classic, and a 2008 JK. Also had a late 80's Comanche but it was 2wd so so didn't mention it. I'm already a big fan of the TJ. The CJ was pretty basic with a 4 cyl but was a fun vehicle and got me hooked on Jeeps. Should have kept the Cherokee... it was a really great vehicle off road. The JK was great on fuel, but with the 6 spd manual lacked the torque of the 4.0 and just seemed "heavy" to me. I was also always worried about scratching the JK (note to self: never buy a black jeep again unless you really like washing and waxing cars). The TJ seems to be a good all around choice without these issues.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks, had a early 80's CJ-5, a 2000 Cherokee Classic, and a 2008 JK. Also had a late 80's Comanche but it was 2wd so so didn't mention it. I'm already a big fan of the TJ. The CJ was pretty basic with a 4 cyl but was a fun vehicle and got me hooked on Jeeps. Should have kept the Cherokee... it was a really great vehicle off road. The JK was great on fuel, but with the 6 spd manual lacked the torque of the 4.0 and just seemed "heavy" to me. I was also always worried about scratching the JK (note to self: never buy a black jeep again unless you really like washing and waxing cars). The TJ seems to be a good all around choice without these issues.

The TJ is the best of both worlds. It looks classic still, but it has enough modern features (i.e. fuel injection, coil springs, etc.), that it feels like everything you need, without being overkill.

I definitely don't need power windows, heated seats, and all sorts of other luxury vehicle items on my TJ. It's a Jeep after all ;)