Not a TJ Owner..... Yet

cKc99

First of all, great forum/site! :thumbsup: Tons of information for new TJ owners.

I just recently sold my YJ, which I've only owned Yj's in the past, and decided to go with with a TJ this time. Im looking forward to owning one. This site has given me a lot of info to use while searching for the "right one" for me.

Just wanted to thank the adminstrator(s) and members on this site for the good information. Wish me luck on my search.

Reactions: UpperMI and Chris
Good luck. Watch out for rust. Don't buy something with low end lifts. Come back with pics after you buy one:drive:

Wait patiently. Make sure you find one without rust issues. Do not settle for one with rust, as it will be a huge project to fix (especially if it's bad). Be willing to pay more for one that is in good condition too!

TJs hold their value really well. Especially anything with a 4.0 liter engine and the LJs. Hold out for the right one. Mine took me a year to find so be patient. If money is a concern then go with a 4 cylinder. Not as good on the freeway but plenty capable off road.

First of all, great forum/site! :thumbsup: Tons of information for new TJ owners.

I just recently sold my YJ, which I've only owned Yj's in the past, and decided to go with with a TJ this time. Im looking forward to owning one. This site has given me a lot of info to use while searching for the "right one" for me.

Just wanted to thank the adminstrator(s) and members on this site for the good information. Wish me luck on my search.

I looked at 8 before the perfect one fell into my lap. Everyone selling will claim that their jeep is in "great condition" do your research and do it well. What I mean is, Tj's are great but certain years were prone to head gasket leaks and so on. Look under the vehicle for leaks, rust, fresh paint (cover rust) under the wheel wells for rust. A lot had small holes under the wheels wells that will collect water but not drain, that's what causes the rust. Don't get one with a spacer lift, get a legit lift. Oh and get a friend that knows jeeps so U can text pics and get a fast response. Other than that u will be fine lol. Once you get the one, you will love it for ever. I've had so many vehicles from race cars to audi's to pick ups. My 03 jeep Tj is my utmost favorite. I'm no jeep expert but you do learn a lot while looking. This is def the best forum I've found for info and Chris, the administrator is on point. Good luck!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advise. I've been into Volkswagens all my life and currently'own 3. They are notorious for rust so I understand the rust issues and the kind of work it takes to repair or replace it.

All my friends are into Volkswagens so I'm hoping I can rely on you guys for advise purchasing one. Right now, I'm looking at a 1998 Sahara model, with 113k miles, 4.0L, manual, hardtop, no lift, clean interior for $10,500 OBO. TJ is from Kingman, AZ. What do you guys think?

Reactions: IronCity
A 98 with 113k?!? Wow that awesome. Post some pics if you can. Def stick with the 4.0, like others said, they 4cyl is sufficient but the fun is rly in the bullet proof 6. 10,500 is a bit pricey, my 03 with 116k and super super clean! Was priced at 10,500 n I paid 8,300 for it. Keep in mind that's 5 yrs newer than the 98.

A Jeep is worth what someone is willing to pay. As Chris posted, "if it's in great shape, be willing to pay". But of course, negotiate. See what they go for in your area as well. If it's rust-free w relatively low miles, it'll likely cost you more. But even more so if it's in shit shape and you have to chase rust. As mentioned above, patience. It took me a year to find mine. And I traveled 3 hours to get it.
Don't forget to stick your fingers in the frame holes. Feel for loose chunks of rust. That's almost always a find here in the north east. You being in AZ, probably won't find many w that condition.
Best of luck. You'll be happy as a hog in mud, when you find the right one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the advise. I've been into Volkswagens all my life and currently'own 3. They are notorious for rust so I understand the rust issues and the kind of work it takes to repair or replace it.

All my friends are into Volkswagens so I'm hoping I can rely on you guys for advise purchasing one. Right now, I'm looking at a 1998 Sahara model, with 113k miles, 4.0L, manual, hardtop, no lift, clean interior for $10,500 OBO. TJ is from Kingman, AZ. What do you guys think?

Post some photos of it for sure. It sounds like a good deal, and I like the OBO part. Also, if it's been in Arizona it's whole life, rust won't be an issue.

I'm not a big fan of the Sahara interior but I can do some changes and make it mine.

IMG_3753.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

IMG_3757.JPG

Reactions: Chris
Oh man, that is CLEAN CLEAN! Hop on it, man. Go see that asap. Not sure what the demand is in your area, but in Jersey, that would be gone, quick!
The one thing I spot off hand is tires. There's one negotiating angle. It looks like it needs new meat. Btw, I though Sahara's all had cruise control?

Cheers!

Wow, that looks like a nice, clean Wrangler! I don't mind the interior, I think the tan looks good on the green.

There are no 98 specific issues you should be aware of. Really the only major issue that plagues Wranglers is rust. If you can find one that is rust free that has been well taken care of, you've got yourself a solid buy.

Reactions: macox49
Go check it out and get underneath it with a flashlight to look for rust. If there's no rust and it drives good, over him a little below his asking price and see if he takes it!

You can't beat the great condition those seats are in. I don't dislike the color combo. Its sharp, even beautiful in that condition!

Wow that looks pristine!! I like the green and tan. Fourpointzero said it, that jeep in Jersey would be sold day one. Hop on it n go take a look. Get under it for rust and leaks then check the oil and look for any signs of moisture. By the looks of that jeep, doesn't look like the owner is hiding anything. Ask about accidents. Good luck, post some pics when u look under the skirt lol. I'm

So I found a 2003 Wrangler X, 4.0L, automatic,with 96k on it. She's asking $10,250 obo. The interior is really nice and it runs really well. It kinda feels like it has been regeared. Didn't see any leaks any where, little surface rust on the frame.

Concerns I have is the paint is like spider webbing, hard to explain but it's The entire body. Almost like the clearcoat is cracking.

Also, when I drove it, while making turns, it felt like rear or the body was leaning or shifting. When I asked her about the lift she said she didn't know anything about it, the previous owner put it on. The front looks like it's a pro comp coil springs and shocks. The rear looked like they could of been old coil springs. It also had transfer case lowering kit. Not sure if it had a body lift.

Would a body lift or old springs cause that feeling? If I replace the lift kit with one I want,do you think that would make that go away?

IMG_3759.JPG

IMG_3760.JPG

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3762.JPG