Not another oil thread

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
So Ok my oil change is just past 6 months with lower than normal road mileage (due to covid) and the oil looks almost as good as when I did the change plus it is not loosing or burning any oil.
Should I change it sooner than later? 10w 30 with new filter was just over 6 month ago.
If this wasn't a wrangler I wouldn't bother. any thoughts as this TJ is my keeper.

Cheers

I once bought a truck new from a dealership that offered conventional oil & filter changes for life. They said to bring it in every 6 months even if I didn’t reach 5,000 miles so there could possibly be something to it. Anyway, it couldn’t hurt & its “cheap insurance”. Besides, compared to what most if us spend on our Jeeps, an oil & filter change is insignificant.

Oil can "expire" with no miles just by being exposed to the air. 6 months seems really quick though, especially considering all those miracle additives you have in your oil protecting your engine 😆

I wouldn't worry about changing it in the least.

Reactions: TJsean0308
I change mine every 4 months, regardless of mileage. It gets driven on a regular basis and has so many miles that now it's easier to remember with the calendar. Transmission, transfer case, and diffs are done on 30k mile basis-also fairly easy to remember.

I do 4K miles or 6 months in my jeep, oil is cheap enough. at a minimum do it at least once a year and you should be good

I change mine either at 6k miles or at 1 year. Whichever comes first. I use synthetic oil, not conventional.

Oil can "expire" with no miles just by being exposed to the air. 6 months seems really quick though, especially considering all those miracle additives you have in your oil protecting your engine 😆

I wouldn't worry about changing it in the least.
The only additive is MotorKote and it hasnt been in for enough miles yet to do its job if in fact it does anything other than increase MPG.

If tires are rotated at 5000 miles (a good idea), change your oil. Keeps the numbers easy to remember.
If running synthetic oil, change at second tire rotation. Unless oil is subjected to extreme heat/dirt conditions. YMMV

If tires are rotated at 5000 miles (a good idea), change your oil. Keeps the numbers easy to remember.
If running synthetic oil, change at second tire rotation. Unless oil is subjected to extreme heat/dirt conditions. YMMV
So you suggest changing the synthetic oil at 10000 miles? Even if it's more than a year? Isn't it a bit long for the filter?

So you suggest changing the synthetic oil at 10000 miles? Even if it's more than a year? Isn't it a bit long for the filter?
Full synthetic can go 10-15k depending on conditions. I don’t do short trips that the engine doesn’t get to full operating temperatures to ensure moisture has been ‘burned’ out to keep oil condition at its best. On my personal vehicles I have several times not put much more than 2k miles in over a year, then I might change depending on where I was living and humidity levels. I have also ran 10K+ on full synthetic and have not had problems with my vehicles owned from new. YMMV

Reactions: TJim
images.jpeg

You clowns are the only reason why anyone at marketing department of oil companies still has a job.

Youll notice its all preference. Especially the synth vs conv oil pissing matches. Every 3k on the dot, 10w30 Conv, and new filter

Reactions: Fishtaco