Not Dead Just Yet...

Wade

Detail Oriented
Supporting Member
Hey, all. I am very sorry that I have been inactive for so long. I have had a variety of issues to contend with, mostly being my extremely busy work schedule in the orchestra right now, and I have been nursing some illnesses and an injury.

I have not done *any* work to my beloved TJ in months. I was last active in the dead of winter. I think the last thing I did of any consequence was in February.

Since that time I have been coping with what the doctor initially thought was bursitis in the joint of my left shoulder. I had whatever this is back in 2007 and it lasted for about a year, then suddenly disappeared. It has been much worse and seems to be getting worse right now, and I am favoring it a lot. I have tried to train myself to sleep in different positions than my norm, as that seems to make it worse.

I guess I will have to come up with some money to see the Doc again. I am afraid to do any sort of real work to my Jeep as I am for fear of making things worse. However, I plan on doing *something* this next week. Honestly, I am not sure if working my arms will actually make anything worse or not. I cannot tell.

Been frustrated and somewhat depressed at all the nice weather that passed by as I sat in bed with the flu, stomach viruses, issues with my diabetes, and now my damned shoulder. I miss wrenching my my "heep" and my yard looks like crap and is currently being overrun by poison ivy.

I need to get back to work.

< sigh >

I will let you guys know how I am doing next week after I do a bit of work in the yard and maybe to the TJ. No promises, though.

Regards,

Wade

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Wow Wade I hope you're doing better soon! What do play in the orchestra? I used to play woodwinds and played in a few orchestras many years ago. Still enjoy and regularly play the more well known classics. I raise a few eyebrows occasionally playing Wagner and Strauss etc. while rock crawling lol.

Reactions: Wade
Been frustrated and somewhat depressed at all the nice weather that passed by as I sat in bed with the flu, stomach viruses, issues with my diabetes, and now my damned shoulder. I miss wrenching my my "heep" and my yard looks like crap and is currently being overrun by poison ivy.

@Wade - Definitely keeping you in thoughts and prayers and hope you figure out what's been going on with your shoulder. Especially now that the nice weather is here!!

I raise a few eyebrows occasionally playing Wagner and Strauss etc. while rock crawling lol.

@Jerry Bransford - Great! Now I've got a mental mashup in my head of Apocalypse Now with you and a bunch of your buddies cresting over Launch Pad in Moab with Ride of the Valkyries blasting. Double bonus points if you actually attach surfboards to the sides of your Jeep. ;-)

Jerry, I am the principal tuba for the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra. I won the national audition for my chair in 1993 and have been here ever since. It is a small orchestra, as you would guess, being in Mississippi. It is very good, though. Despite this it still pays for my house, cars, jeeps, etc. My wife plays French horn in the brass section. We met at work in 1998 when she won her audition.

Over on WF my name is Holton345. I play a Holton 345 CC tuba as my main axe in the orchestra. It is part of a class of horns that are referred to as "American Grand Orchestral" style, meaning very large. Horns of that size and style have a nickname online: BAT, for "big ass tuba". It is my main breadwinner. I love that horn. I love the looks I get when I pull up to the concert hall downtown in my mud-spattered TJ and get out in a tuxedo. ;-)

I, too, freak people out on the trail by blaring stuff like Shostakovich 5 or Bruckner 4 on my stereo.

And yes, VirtualRussel, Wagner's "Der Ritt der Walküren" ("The Ride of the Valkyries") freaks people out just like in "Apocalypse Now". I had a friend who owned an old Navy "5 Mile" hailing horn from some Vietnam-era destroyer. He and I hooked it up and bolted it to my first TJ's bed so that it pointed straight up. Top down, we bombed downhill on a fire road out in the woods toward a bunch of Hummer H2 silly boys who were at the bottom, with "The Ride" blaring away full volume. You could hear it EVERYWHERE. We had to wear hearing protection. Those Hummer jocks' reactions were priceless.

Dang, that was like 13 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Getting old, I guess. Times passes so fast nowadays.

HAHAHA!!!

Very cool Wade, being principal at any instrument is very telling, I was principal clarinetist for a while but things got in the way of staying with it. It would have been great to have remained a musician but it was tough to make a reasonable living at it. There are a lot of superb musicians out there that had to find work elsewhere as I did. There are just not enough jobs that require a live band or orchestra any more.

And yes, VirtualRussel, Wagner's "Der Ritt der Walküren" ("The Ride of the Valkyries") freaks people out just like in "Apocalypse Now". I had a friend who owned an old Navy "5 Mile" hailing horn from some Vietnam-era destroyer. He and I hooked it up and bolted it to my first TJ's bed so that it pointed straight up. Top down, we bombed downhill on a fire road out in the woods toward a bunch of Hummer H2 silly boys who were at the bottom, with "The Ride" blaring away full volume. You could hear it EVERYWHERE. We had to wear hearing protection. Those Hummer jocks' reactions were priceless.

That's awesome! Thanks for bringing an audible chuckle to my day :)

Many years ago I was
Jerry, I am the principal tuba for the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra. I won the national audition for my chair in 1993 and have been here ever since. It is a small orchestra, as you would guess, being in Mississippi. It is very good, though. Despite this it still pays for my house, cars, jeeps, etc. My wife plays French horn in the brass section. We met at work in 1998 when she won her audition.

Over on WF my name is Holton345. I play a Holton 345 CC tuba as my main axe in the orchestra. It is part of a class of horns that are referred to as "American Grand Orchestral" style, meaning very large. Horns of that size and style have a nickname online: BAT, for "big ass tuba". It is my main breadwinner. I love that horn. I love the looks I get when I pull up to the concert hall downtown in my mud-spattered TJ and get out in a tuxedo. ;-)

I, too, freak people out on the trail by blaring stuff like Shostakovich 5 or Bruckner 4 on my stereo.

Dang, that was like 13 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Getting old, I guess. Times passes so fast nowadays.

HAHAHA!!!
Many years ago, dropping off, then retrieving, search and rescue folks from an avalanche burial. When I picked them up on retrieval we flew down a narrow canyon to the valley floor. The bird had a really great PA system for our loud speaker and siren. However,,this day I inserted "The Ride" and flew with it blaring over the PA system all the way down canyon-—-on each of several retrievals. The snow mobile riders thought the world had ended!:D