Not good brakes

Ron Hall

TJ Enthusiast
Looked at my brakes today. I have 33s and an auto tranny. Fronts look pretty good; rear getting thin. I drive like the senior I am but traffic lights changing let me know the braking is not great. I lean toward doing just the rears before our trip. First two photos are rear; last two are front.
83AEBF1A-938B-4BF7-A78A-CD698611E7D0.jpeg
039230E5-141A-42EF-B2ED-27E6E9B23EE6.jpeg

15691A82-4969-4757-B671-933DEF32F9E7.jpeg

9AE397F5-92D4-469B-86B2-5A0E4A52E894.jpeg

Are you wanting a recommendation for replacements? Or upgrade?

The Black Magic pads are excellent for replacements, but you do have to brake aggressively. If you do drive is leisurely, I would recommend a Big Brake upgrade from Vanvo/Black Magic. You will be amazed at how little you have to press the brake pedal and how good the modulation is.

Reactions: Ron Hall

The Black Magic pads are excellent for replacements, but you do have to brake aggressively. If you do drive is leisurely, I would recommend a Big Brake upgrade from Vanvo/Black Magic. You will be amazed at how little you have to press the brake pedal and how good the modulation is.
The big brake kits come with black magic pads.

But Blaine provided me with a set of non-BMB pads to go with my Super 16”. A 15/16” kit with standard pads could probably work well here

Your pads and rotors appear to still have plenty of life left. So I think that's an indication that you need to upgrade and not replace with new of the same.

Most of your braking performance comes from the front brakes and not the rears. You want an 80/20 bias front to rear.

With 33s you might be able to get away with keeping your stock size rotors and calipers and upgrading the pads. The rears could end up waiting.

The BMB pads do require aggressive braking occasionally to keep the rotors from glazing from gentle use. However if you don't oversize the big brake kit for your wheels it's not as big of a problem because you'll naturally do it.

Unfortunately I am time constrained on what I can do before our trip. I will have to get parts locally or at least through amazon. Reading posts on this site show great support for Blaine’s brakes, but that project will have to wait until fall. I probably will just install high quality ceramic pads because the rotors look good. Is there an advantage to installing vented rotors?

Reading posts on this site show great support for Blaine’s brakes, but that project will have to wait until fall.

Give him a call (number listed on his website) because you might be able to catch him before orders go out today and get them to you on time (unless you're competing with same day delivery or something). He'll also be able to tell you what would be the best match for you and your Jeep, even if that's pads only.

Is there an advantage to installing vented rotors?

Yes, but no benefit for slotted or drilled.

Give him a call (number listed on his website) because you might be able to catch him before orders go out today and get them to you on time (unless you're competing with same day delivery or something). He'll also be able to tell you what would be the best match for you and your Jeep, even if that's pads only.

I do have a call in to Blaine. I wish I had taken a hard look at these earlier. I have been too wrapped up in susupension, oil pan &?seal, exhaust and cooling and I am slow.

I spoke with him. I'll watch for the order and if it gets here today, I'll toss them in the mail in the morning.

If you are going to new pads make sure to pay attention to propper brake in procedure either before the trip or use the beginning of the trip for brake in. Have a safe trip.