Not new to the TJ, but new around here

Vidar

TJ Enthusiast
Hello everyone, joining you from central Pennsylvania. I fix computers for a living, and only started working on cars out of necessity. That necessity is I decided to buy a TJ and am generally broke. I hate paying people to do things, so I try my best to figure it out. The only work I've paid for on my Jeep in 17 years is welding sections of the frame, which I helped do and my mechanic taught me how to weld, and currently paying a machine shop only for the machine work on my engine.

My Jeep story:
I purchased my 1997 Sport as the second owner back in 2003 with 91K on it. It has served me well for the last 17 years. It is (well...was) my daily driver, and has been all along. I haven't done any mods to it, mainly just the regular Jeep maintenance (new exhaust manifold multiple times, new radiator, exhaust system, etc.). A few years ago, the frame rotted out between the wheels so I got to learn how to weld and put SafeTcaps on both sides, but the rest of the frame is pretty solid with the exception of the rear upper coil mounts.
A few weeks ago, at just shy of 210,000, it started to tap. After investigation, I found that piston 5 decided to break its skirt. Currently, the engine is out, and the block and head are at the machine shop getting tanked, bored, and machined. Once it's done, I'll do the rebuild myself. I've never done it before, but looking forward to it.
I'm also taking this time to fix some issues that I've lived with. Mainly, I haven't had heat for the last four years, so I gutted the dash to replace a rotted heater core and clogged AC evaporator. I also need to cut out and weld in new read coil mounts, so I'll be replacing all four of the factory springs, and the shocks that are >17 years old, as I've never replaced those myself. It is also in desperate need of a paint job, so after I replace the fenders and get it back on the road, I will be painting the exterior. I'm also going to paint the dash since it's faded and has some scratches on it, and probably also the interior of the tub if I have any money leftover.

I decided to join the forum because I'm not getting into the territory of needing advice. I've always managed before just by searching, reading forums, and watching YouTube, but now I need the advice of people who have been where I'm at now. Looking forward to many conversations, and sharing whatever knowledge and insight I can.

IMG_4433 copy.jpg

IMG_5399 copy.jpg

IMG_5460 copy.jpg

IMG_5365 copy.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Great story, sounds like a real project as well! That’s definitely unusual for a 4.0 to have an issue like this at only 200k miles. Many of these go well over 500k miles without any internal issues.

Either way, welcome to the forum. You’re definitely in the right place for anything and everything TJ related!

Thanks guys. Yes @Chris, not all that common for the engines to fail at 200K. However, when I opened it up, I did find handwritten numbers on the piston caps, so someone was already into this engine before I bought it. No idea why, and of course that wasn't disclosed when I bought it back in '03. Inspecting the piston where it cracked, it looked like there might have been two air pockets in the cast that caused the failure. When I was researching this, it seems that if the 4.0s fail, it's due to the piston skirts breaking. At least now I know I'll be putting good parts into it, and with all this work, and the knowledge and experience gains, I feel like I'll be able to take better care of it during it's second life.

@Gregg1LE not having heat sucks here. Many times I've been chilled to the bone within minutes of leaving my house in the morning. Spending 20 minutes on the highway at 6:30 am when it's in single digits outside is awful, and dress pants are no help to keep the cold off your legs!

Reactions: Chris
Oh yeah, sounds like someone was indeed in that engine before. I agree with you on the piston skirts as well. Most of the 4.0s I see with issues either ends up being piston skirts breaking or rod bearings.

At least once you get it all rebuilt it will have a new lease on life, and you'll know it won't have anymore issues.