Not starting... shop wants to replace steering column

N

natsuki harvey

my 2004 jeep wrangler 2.4 l is not starting it started just fine one day 30 minutes later no luck
heres some things i did before it stopped running

changed the starter twice since the first one sparked
changed the battery since it had a bad cell

after doing those it started for about a good two days
i should also include that i drove the car to learn manual and stalled it many times...

stuck at the grocery store wer had to get our jku and strap a tow strap to it and tow it to the shop about 2 miles ago

at the shop they said that a part in the steering column is broke and that they needed to get a complete steering column to fix it
ive researched about the ignition switch and pin but what happens after the ignition switch? isnt it all electronic if so why would they need a steering column?
i will get more information and update on this as they come in...

i should also note that while changing the starter i knocked the evac line and unplugged one of the lines new the starter causing a p1494 code which the guys at the shop insisted that i need to change the pump although the vacuum line has been reconnected and there is no more vacuum noise....

thank you in advance!

sorry im moving this thread to another section since i didnt see what the faq was for...

copied and moved from the faq section...

my 2004 jeep wrangler 2.4 l is not starting it started just fine one day 30 minutes later no luck
heres some things i did before it stopped running

changed the starter twice since the first one sparked
changed the battery since it had a bad cell

after doing those it started for about a good two days
i should also include that i drove the car to learn manual and stalled it many times...

stuck at the grocery store wer had to get our jku and strap a tow strap to it and tow it to the shop about 2 miles ago

at the shop they said that a part in the steering column is broke and that they needed to get a complete steering column to fix it
ive researched about the ignition switch and pin but what happens after the ignition switch? isnt it all electronic if so why would they need a steering column?
i will get more information and update on this as they come in...

i should also note that while changing the starter i knocked the evac line and unplugged one of the lines new the starter causing a p1494 code which the guys at the shop insisted that i need to change the pump although the vacuum line has been reconnected and there is no more vacuum noise....

thank you in advance!

Transmission type and what do you mean not starting. Is it trying to start but not or is it not trying to start at all?

Transmission type and what do you mean not starting. Is it trying to start but not or is it not trying to start at all?
The engine starts fine if all the electrical components work so if I turn the ignition nothing happens no clicks no bumps nothing all that comes out is the lights in the instrument cluster and nothing else

The engine starts fine if all the electrical components work so if I turn the ignition nothing happens no clicks no bumps nothing all that comes out is the lights in the instrument cluster and nothing else

Sorry let me rephrase that

When it doesn't start it doesn't want to do anything and nothing clicks after turning ignition when the engine ran everything started right up no problem with the sparksplug and the fuel system

Tranny is the 5 spd manual
Nv1500 I believe

Also, is it auto or manual transmission?
its a manual transmission 5 spd so its a nv1500 i answered the question about the start on the other thread but its not clicking at all when i turn the ignition...

Try bypassing the clutch safety switch.
ill check that out but whats the point of getting a junk yard steering column to switch with thats whats stumbling me...
i dont want to pay 700$ on a steering column install if thats not even the problem

ill check that out but whats the point of getting a junk yard steering column to switch with thats whats stumbling me...
i dont want to pay 700$ on a steering column install if thats not even the problem
I'm not sure why they want to swap steering columns. I would try a different shop.

You don't need to replace the steering column to change the ignition switch, not even close. Changing the ignition switch is a relatively straight forward procedure. I would find a new shop... These guys are clearly trying to take you to the cleaners.

You don't need to replace the steering column to change the ignition switch, not even close. Changing the ignition switch is a relatively straight forward procedure. I would find a new shop... These guys are clearly trying to take you to the cleaners.
i thought so they said its "rare" for it to happen but im not sure what electrical components are there after the ignition switch i figured it would be a harness from the end of it to the computer... which makes me believe that it is the ignition switch or actuator pin which i have the ignition switch in the backseat of it and have the actuator on hold at autozone....

I would love to know why exactly it is that the steering column needs to be replaced according to them. That sounds like bogus to me... I've seen plenty of guys replace their ignition switches without replacing the steering column, that's just absurd. I'd try replacing the ignition switch and seeing if that does the trick.

The introduction of the Ignition Switch and Ignition Switch Actuator Pin assembly made replacing the entire column unnecessary. It may just be possible that they are not aware that the parts are available. When I was first researching my starting issues, it appeared to me that the replacement parts were relatively newer to the market and the fix before was to replace the entire column.

Reactions: Chris
I'm not sure why they want to swap steering columns. I would try a different shop.
The only reason to replace the column in this instance would be if the cast hole for the ignition lock cylinder has been damaged or worn enough to no longer retain the cylinder or if the mounting holes for the ignition switch are bad. Outside of those two points, there is no reason to replace the column for a no start condition.

The introduction of the Ignition Switch and Ignition Switch Actuator Pin assembly made replacing the entire column unnecessary. It may just be possible that they are not aware that the parts are available. When I was first researching my starting issues, it appeared to me that the replacement parts were relatively newer to the market and the fix before was to replace the entire column.
The separately available parts sold as a fix may be new but they have always been available at salvage yards.

i thought so they said its "rare" for it to happen but im not sure what electrical components are there after the ignition switch i figured it would be a harness from the end of it to the computer... which makes me believe that it is the ignition switch or actuator pin which i have the ignition switch in the backseat of it and have the actuator on hold at autozone....
There is no harness in the column. All the connectors to the various bit that attach to the column are part of the dash harness.