Not sure I want this promotion

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
We have members here from all walks of life, and with all kinds of employment experience. I'd like to tap into some of that experience and get some different perspectives on a situation I find myself in.

I'm just a skosh under 58 years of age, and have been working at the same manufacturing facility for 37 years. All of that time has been working second shift, and in the same department. I became a "lead" after two years, and a supervisor after fifteen years. I have a great crew of twelve folks, and I absolutely love the shift (for me, it's 2:30pm to around midnight). My boss is a cantankerous, obstinate individual (the area manager) who will be retiring in June of 2021. About two years ago, the plant manager and my boss asked if I'd be interested in taking over my boss' position when he retires, and I told them that I was not even remotely interested. I explained that my goal is to stop working at 63, and get the hell out of Dodge (Washington state). I also said that after all these years of swing shift hours, the idea of starting work at 6:00am held no appeal to me whatsoever. I told them this two years ago, and have never waivered from that position. In fact, I even suggested one of my own crew members as a candidate for the position, and they agreed that he would be a good fit.

Fast forward to last Thursday, and in a nutshell, the plant manager has informed me that he really wants me to take the position. He says that he has always considered me the #2 guy, and that he really can't even consider anyone else within the plant for the position. He said I'm the most logical choice, and would I please keep it in mind, and keep the dialog going on the subject.

Ugh.

Here's the thing, guys...I feel a certain obligation to take the position. I mean, sure, I'm honored/flattered that they believe I could do the job, but what hits me the most is this sense I have of commitment and obligation/duty to the company. I get that it makes the most sense to put me in that spot. I already do 75% of the job, anyways. The guy I recommended would be bumped up to a supervisor to replace me, and I'd move to dayshift and become the area manager, in charge of all three shifts. Do I think I could handle the job? I suppose so. But do I want that level of stress and responsibility? Do I want to change almost four decades of my "regularly scheduled program" to something where I'm forced to wake up in the morning at a time when I used to be just falling asleep? I just don't know. Hell, the difference in traffic, alone, is enough to dissuade most. My commute one way is now 45 minutes. That could easily become 75-90 minutes with the new shift.

I can only assume that there would be a monetary benefit to me taking the promotion. That would help me realize some of my goals (paying off the house, and retiring at 63). And I would only be doing the job for 4 and a half years, so there would be a light at the end of the tunnel. But still...the meetings, the added stress, the schedule. Would it be worth it?

I'd really like to hear what you all might have to say. Advice. Suggestions. Opinions. Tell me I'm nucking futs. Let me hear what you think about all this. I'm literally losing sleep over this situation, as I'm seriously torn as to whether this is a real opportunity, or a huge mistake in the making.

Thanks,
Squatch

Can I assume that with the new position you'd be doing something more along the lines of a management position and more "hands off" as oppose to what you're doing now?

Do you see yourself as a "manager" or do you like doing the actual work more?

Do you have any idea how much the pay increase would be?

I’ll tell you a bit of my tale.

I started in LE when I was 21. I was eager to learn and I’m a fast learner. I was out on third shift during my 12 months of probation. During this time, it stunted my learning what went on during the day and second shift but hey, I’m new and doing what I can to learn as much as possible.

I have a Lt. that takes a liking to me and starts to push me to promote at my 1 year make to Cpl. I tell him I’m not ready to lead officers or advise them. He keeps pushing, I push back. So I don’t promote. He is a Lt. With 7 years in and a good boss and sharp.

Fast forward 10 years. Each time you promote you go back to square one for seniority. So, I stay as an officer. I also on this time went to college and got my BS as I didn’t want to stay in LE.

Fast forward another 10 years. Still never promoted, wen to two different departments. I could have been at the top if I focused but my family took over and I was happy not having the stress.

And I watched coworkers promote and some took to it, others it just ground them down into the ground.

I’d be honest with your boss. Tell him your concerns and maybe ask for a trial period if you are unsure. You know that place better than most I’d imagine. You also know what bosses put up with.

Is the juice worthy of the squeeze? It wasn’t for me. I don’t regret it even though I think it would have worked out fine.

4 years or so to retire? Sounds like a lot of negative stuff to jump in but if they really want you there maybe they make some adjustments for you. Doesn’t hurt to ask, sounds like they respect you..

You got this brother.

Really depends on you and what you want.

My desire was always to move up. My boss now owns the company.

There’s tons of stress dealing with “personalities” but I’m sure you’re used to that.

For the past several weeks I’ve been hiring and interviewing and it sucks but I’ve hired a few people.

My advice is that you need to make sure those you are leading are trustworthy. If you are taking a role without quality support then you better have the power to replace as needed because dealing with obstacles isn’t worth the headache.

Can I assume that with the new position you'd be doing something more along the lines of a management position and more "hands off" as oppose to what you're doing now?

Do you see yourself as a "manager" or do you like doing the actual work more?

Do you have any idea how much the pay increase would be?
In my current position, I am more of a manager than a hands-on guy. However, when things get busy, I have the option of jumping in there and running whatever equipment I deem necessary to get the work out. It's when things are slow, such as they are now, that I need to maintain a "hands-off" approach, as it better ensures that there will be work for the hourly folks. So yeah, I really wouldn't be doing anything much differently than I'm doing now, as far as managing things go.

Based on the info you gave, I’d say no. You seem happy and comfortable where you are, you only have a few years until you’re planned retirement. Why finish the last few years potentially not enjoying it?

I understand the feeling of commitment to the company though. I’ve been in similar situations in the military and in my current job.

In the final analysis, only you can answer this question. Speaking for myself, and *ONLY* myself, there's no way in Hell I'd do it at T-minus 4 years till retirement. Esp. with the shift change. But I'm a nite owl also, 6 AM is not much past my bedtime!

I promoted up at one time - and was, fortunately, able to step back down. Not many employers will let you do that...

In my current position, I am more of a manager than a hands-on guy. However, when things get busy, I have the option of jumping in there and running whatever equipment I deem necessary to get the work out. It's when things are slow, such as they are now, that I need to maintain a "hands-off" approach, as it better ensures that there will be work for the hourly folks. So yeah, I really wouldn't be doing anything much differently than I'm doing now, as far as managing things go.

Any idea about the pay increase?

I’ll tell you a bit of my tale.

I started in LE when I was 21. I was eager to learn and I’m a fast learner. I was out on third shift during my 12 months of probation. During this time, it stunted my learning what went on during the day and second shift but hey, I’m new and doing what I can to learn as much as possible.

I have a Lt. that takes a liking to me and starts to push me to promote at my 1 year make to Cpl. I tell him I’m not ready to lead officers or advise them. He keeps pushing, I push back. So I don’t promote. He is a Lt. With 7 years in and a good boss and sharp.

Fast forward 10 years. Each time you promote you go back to square one for seniority. So, I stay as an officer. I also on this time went to college and got my BS as I didn’t want to stay in LE.

Fast forward another 10 years. Still never promoted, wen to two different departments. I could have been at the top if I focused but my family took over and I was happy not having the stress.

And I watched coworkers promote and some took to it, others it just ground them down into the ground.

I’d be honest with your boss. Tell him your concerns and maybe ask for a trial period if you are unsure. You know that place better than most I’d imagine. You also know what bosses put up with.

Is the juice worthy of the squeeze? It wasn’t for me. I don’t regret it even though I think it would have worked out fine.

4 years or so to retire? Sounds like a lot of negative stuff to jump in but if they really want you there maybe they make some adjustments for you. Doesn’t hurt to ask, sounds like they respect you..

You got this brother.
Really depends on you and what you want.

My desire was always to move up. My boss now owns the company.

There’s tons of stress dealing with “personalities” but I’m sure you’re used to that.

For the past several weeks I’ve been hiring and interviewing and it sucks but I’ve hired a few people.

My advice is that you need to make sure those you are leading are trustworthy. If you are taking a role without quality support then you better have the power to replace as needed because dealing with obstacles isn’t worth the headache.
Thanks, guys.

The stress aspect of it does concern me. I know most of the folks on all three shifts. There are only a couple that I am not a real fan of, but then again, I've never worked alongside them directly, so maybe that could change. As far as changing personnel and/or the rules by which the area was to run, that would be well within my level of responsibility. Most are reliable folks, and they do their jobs well. Through the years, my boss has shared with me what the strengths and weaknesses are of the different crew members, so I might know them better than they even realize.

The Plant Manager is a straight shooter, and he and I have always had good rapport with one another. I feel comfortable with discussing my concerns with him, but I also know that he is in a position where he will put the company first, and if that means leaning on me a little to accept the position, then I can see him doing it, within reason. He won't misrepresent what I would be getting myself into, but I think he would downplay some of the negatives if he felt it would help sway my decision to accepting the position.

Thanks, guys.

The stress aspect of it does concern me. I know most of the folks on all three shifts. There are only a couple that I am not a real fan of, but then again, I've never worked alongside them directly, so maybe that could change. As far as changing personnel and/or the rules by which the area was to run, that would be well within my level of responsibility. Most are reliable folks, and they do their jobs well. Through the years, my boss has shared with me what the strengths and weaknesses are of the different crew members, so I might know them better than they even realize.

The Plant Manager is a straight shooter, and he and I have always had good rapport with one another. I feel comfortable with discussing my concerns with him, but I also know that he is in a position where he will put the company first, and if that means leaning on me a little to accept the position, then I can see him doing it, within reason. He won't misrepresent what I would be getting myself into, but I think he would downplay some of the negatives if he felt it would help sway my decision to accepting the position.
I’d ask about the details of their offer. Pay, bonus, vacation... helps to know all the factors.

You sound like it’s well within your comfort zone.

I wouldn't likely be able to step back into my old position, so I pretty much need to rule that option out. If I accepted it, I'd stick with it. What I'm struggling with is whether to accept it in the first place.

As it stands right now, I've pretty much got it made, but almost to a fault. I have a well-trained crew that does an excellent job. In fact, they do so well, there are times that I'm not sure they couldn't do fine without me here. The better they get (and they're good!), the easier my job becomes. As a result of that, however, I find that I have not been challenged by anything in my job for years, now. It has become a little too cushy, at times. Boring, even. So have I just become complacent, and maybe even afraid to accept something that might challenge me? Or am I looking at it sensibly, in that I have stayed on this path all along, with the end goal in sight, and all I need to do is finish the damn race?

Be loyal to yourself before the company. Don’t feel obligated to jump in to a more senior position if you know it isn’t what you want. In my jaded experience, despite all the loyalty you show as an employee, the company would lay you off in a heartbeat if they needed to. A good compromise could be to reassure the manager that you aren’t going anywhere and you will work hard to ensure the new person is successful in the role.

Any idea about the pay increase?
I’d ask about the details of their offer. Pay, bonus, vacation... helps to know all the factors.

You sound like it’s well within your comfort zone.
I am curious about the pay, I must admit. As far as vacations and bonuses go, I already receive the same bonuses my boss does (I was the only individual ever unanimously voted onto "Support Staff" :)), and I've actually been here longer than my boss, so I am well into the company's maximum vacation benefits. But the pay...yeah, I don't know what the difference would be. Not sure how comfortable I am about asking, to be honest. However, who to better represent my own interests than myself, right?

I am curious about the pay, I must admit. As far as vacations and bonuses go, I already receive the same bonuses my boss does (I was the only individual ever unanimously voted onto "Support Staff" :)), and I've actually been here longer than my boss, so I am well into the company's maximum vacation benefits. But the pay...yeah, I don't know what the difference would be. Not sure how comfortable I am about asking, to be honest. However, who to better represent my own interests than myself, right?

Always ask. It’s not an insult to ask.

I'd want to know. I mean if the pay increase is 10k a year, that's worth considering a lot more over something like 2k a year, right?

I guess this really comes down to you and only you can ultimately decide. More money is always great, but not if you feel like it's going to make your life miserable from now until retirement. Still, I guess as long as your working with the same bunch of people, can it really be that bad?

Been discussing with a family member who just had their yearly review. They are performing awesome and no complaints. I asked if they mentioned that they hoped their strong performance would translate to a good raise this year.

They said they didn’t mention it. My response was if you don’t mention it then how do they know you want it.

It never hurts to ask for something you’re qualified for.

Be loyal to yourself before the company. Don’t feel obligated to jump in to a more senior position if you know it isn’t what you want. In my jaded experience, despite all the loyalty you show as an employee, the company would lay you off in a heartbeat if they needed to. A good compromise could be to reassure the manager that you aren’t going anywhere and you will work hard to ensure the new person is successful in the role.
I do feel confident that they know that I'm here for the duration. After 37 years, the only folks who have been here longer are the owners. I've gone years without missing a day of work, showed up and worked when the plant was technically closed due to snow, and any number of things that I would think shows my level of commitment to doing my job. But I've also been honest with the big man, and told him straight-up that it was a commitment to providing for my family that keeps me committed to my job. He said he respected that. ;)

Been discussing with a family member who just had their yearly review. They are performing awesome and no complaints. I asked if they mentioned that they hoped their strong performance would translate to a good raise this year.

They said they didn’t mention it. My response was if you don’t mention it then how do they know you want it.

It never hurts to ask for something you’re qualified for.
I'd want to know. I mean if the pay increase is 10k a year, that's worth considering a lot more over something like 2k a year, right?

I guess this really comes down to you and only you can ultimately decide. More money is always great, but not if you feel like it's going to make your life miserable from now until retirement. Still, I guess as long as your working with the same bunch of people, can it really be that bad?
It's a funny thing about increases. You see, I'm in a position where I most often times am the one who makes the decision on how much of an increase my crew members will get. Sometimes I'm given a budget that I'm not to exceed (typically would happen during a slow year). If I have someone who deserves something above and beyond, I'll fight for them. Twice now, I have gone directly to the president of the company and proposed that they retract my pay increase, and split it among two or three crew members that I felt deserved more than I was allowed (budgetarily) to give them. Both times I was told that they couldn't (or wouldn't) do that, but both times they turned around and upped the increases for my crew.

Money means more to some folks than it does to others. For some, it's the primary way that they feel rewarded for their efforts, and it's the best acknowledgement they can receive. For me, it's a little different. I'm comfortable. I'm not rich, but I'm not poor, either. I live within my means. I have a little extra cash to spend on what I want (if I want it bad enough), but more importantly, I always have enough to cover my bills. My home is old, but comfortable. I get to play with my cars. I feel appreciated at work, but not just in a monetary sense. I guess what I'm saying is that while yes, I am curious as to what the pay increase would be, it's really only a small portion of the deciding factor for me. Does that make any sense?

Based on what you describe, it sounds like the only potential benefits are an increase in compensation and perhaps the satisfaction of meeting a new challenge. You definitely seem to have a better grasp on what you perceive to be the negatives with this promotion than the positives. Assuming you are otherwise comfortable with your current compensation, I'm guessing you would need at least a 30-40% raise to make the negatives due to the new position worthwhile. FWIW, after many years of project management I made the conscious decision to go back to actually performing and managing the work instead of people. I am much happier, less stressed, and compensated well-enough to suit my needs. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited: