Not sure I want this promotion

So, @Squatch , are you outta there? Did all go well?

Hopefully you have a good tale to tell for your last day / retirement...

Edited to add: You'd look good driving that old Jeep Wagon. Just make sure to change oil in it first!

Still here, and probably will be until the evening. Want to be sure and say my goodbyes to all the Swingshift folks I worked with for 37+ years. They helped get me here, and I want to let them know how much I appreciate it.

Congrats! As someone who’s 41 and in IT, I’m jealous that you found a professional home in one place for so long. I think that’s something which no longer exists for my generation.

Thank you, my friend. It was an accidental career, but a career, nonetheless. (y)

Well, I put in a 15-hour shift on my final day. Lots and lots of people parading through my office all day long. Lots of pictures, smiles, tears and hugs. And a lot of alcohol, too! (Gifts from the crew). I'm drained...

Now the FUN starts....

Do you have a list of things you plan on doing?
I did when I first got retired. Granted mine was an unplanned /forced but I had grand plans of stuff I would do.
Nope hardly got 15% of it done but instead I did other things.

Enjoy, relax, take your time & let's plan a time to hook up. We could do some bench racing over a beer.

Now the FUN starts....

Do you have a list of things you plan on doing?
I did when I first got retired. Granted mine was an unplanned /forced but I had grand plans of stuff I would do.
Nope hardly got 15% of it done but instead I did other things.

Enjoy, relax, take your time & let's plan a time to hook up. We could do some bench racing over a beer.

I definitely will take some time to just adjust, and let it all sink in. I have a mental list of what I need to do, but it's a long one, so I'm just going to play it by ear in the beginning. Working on anything is a step in the right direction, at this point.

Congratulations! Now you are on your own clock ( or the wife's ;) ), relax and enjoy the peace of mind. It takes a while to get out of that work mode, but before you know it you'll wonder how you ever had time to work with all the things that need to be done. I retired almost 2 years ago and I'm loving it!

Congratulations! Now you are on your own clock ( or the wife's ;) ), relax and enjoy the peace of mind. It takes a while to get out of that work mode, but before you know it you'll wonder how you ever had time to work with all the things that need to be done. I retired almost 2 years ago and I'm loving it!

Thanks, buddy. For my first day, I woke up too damn early, and made the decision to just hang out with the wife. Barbequed some chicken, and just diggin' each other's company. Not a bad first day. Nothing accomplished, but feeling good, nonetheless. :)

Thanks, buddy. For my first day, I woke up too damn early, and made the decision to just hang out with the wife. Barbequed some chicken, and just diggin' each other's company. Not a bad first day. Nothing accomplished, but feeling good, nonetheless. :)

You deserve this dude! but it won't be until the weekdays come when you might comprehend what is reality (I am only imagining as I am not there yet)? enjoy it you absolutely deserve it!!!

You deserve this dude! but it won't be until the weekdays come when you might comprehend what is reality (I am only imagining as I am not there yet)? enjoy it you absolutely deserve it!!!

Thank you, my friend. I believe you're correct about that. Right now, I still have thoughts off and on that I need to get something done before the weekend is gone. Old habits are going to be tough to shake, I reckon.

So, today marks five months since my retirement, and I have to say that it's been kind of a mixed-bag, thus far. For starters, to hell with actually trying to plan anything. When I said I was looking forward to garage time, I meant having the time to work on my own projects. That, however, has not been the case. It's been one repair after another on the family's vehicles. The wife's car needed new suspension parts, full brakes, and other such maintenance things. The daughter's minivan needed the entire cooling system replaced, as well as a starter. Her other minivan needed an electrical diagnosis and subsequent repair, which I just finished today. Then there's the neighbors and their vehicles. Once they noticed I was no longer working, I seem to be their go-to guy for repairs. I don't really mind helping them out, but in the end, it further cuts into my time for my own projects. Oh, well. I guess I could always say "no".

I don't regret having left the place I was working for. Since my departure, there have been a handful of others who have parted ways with the company, as well. Some have been long-term employees, as I was. That doesn't bode well for the establishment. I believe that when employees start seeing their coworkers bailing, it triggers a mindset that perpetuates more resignations.

When I left, it had a lot to do with the (lack of) quality of the people who were coming into the place. Well, there is apparently a new issue to add to it. As a buddy who still works there put it, no one is happy with the latest round of new-hires. It almost appears that HR is going out of their way to bring in folks who have "transitioned" or who are currently going through the process. This has lead to issues amongst the crews with the restrooms, amongst other things. Right before I left, I had a couple of interviews where I couldn't tell the gender of the individual, which meant I had to choose my words carefully. Well, it looks like that trend has continued. I'm sure as hell glad that I don't have to deal with that sort of nonsense, or I'd end up in HR or be named in some sort of lawsuit. As far as I'm concerned, I got out just in time.

Anyways, I'm still adjusting to my new "schedule", such as it is. Just thought I'd throw this stuff out there. ;)

So, today marks five months since my retirement, and I have to say that it's been kind of a mixed-bag, thus far. For starters, to hell with actually trying to plan anything. When I said I was looking forward to garage time, I meant having the time to work on my own projects. That, however, has not been the case. It's been one repair after another on the family's vehicles. The wife's car needed new suspension parts, full brakes, and other such maintenance things. The daughter's minivan needed the entire cooling system replaced, as well as a starter. Her other minivan needed an electrical diagnosis and subsequent repair, which I just finished today. Then there's the neighbors and their vehicles. Once they noticed I was no longer working, I seem to be their go-to guy for repairs. I don't really mind helping them out, but in the end, it further cuts into my time for my own projects. Oh, well. I guess I could always say "no".

I don't regret having left the place I was working for. Since my departure, there have been a handful of others who have parted ways with the company, as well. Some have been long-term employees, as I was. That doesn't bode well for the establishment. I believe that when employees start seeing their coworkers bailing, it triggers a mindset that perpetuates more resignations.

When I left, it had a lot to do with the (lack of) quality of the people who were coming into the place. Well, there is apparently a new issue to add to it. As a buddy who still works there put it, no one is happy with the latest round of new-hires. It almost appears that HR is going out of their way to bring in folks who have "transitioned" or who are currently going through the process. This has lead to issues amongst the crews with the restrooms, amongst other things. Right before I left, I had a couple of interviews where I couldn't tell the gender of the individual, which meant I had to choose my words carefully. Well, it looks like that trend has continued. I'm sure as hell glad that I don't have to deal with that sort of nonsense, or I'd end up in HR or be named in some sort of lawsuit. As far as I'm concerned, I got out just in time.

Anyways, I'm still adjusting to my new "schedule", such as it is. Just thought I'd throw this stuff out there. ;)

1695941999276.png

Solves a lot of problems.... get's you out of the house...and away from the "honey do" list, you see tons of people who will convince you that your problems are insignificant and it nets you a little pocket change.