Not sure I want this promotion

Well @Squatch it's been a couple months. What's the word?
Well, it's funny you would bring this up, as earlier today I was thinking that I might want to update you folks on the situation. What timing, eh?

So, I've had a few more meetings, including one with the president of the company, and the support for me taking the position is strong. As for how I'm looking at it, I'm about 80% leaning toward accepting the promotion. I spoke with the plant manager, and I told him that the final piece of information that I need would be that of the salary. He chuckled that he was wondering if he needed to "dangle the money carrot" in front of me to prompt me to accept. He then went on to say that he needs a solid date from my boss on his retirement (my boss is kind of backpedaling a little on whether he really wants to retire just yet, or not). We all believe that yes, he will elect to follow through with the retirement, but a set date is needed. Anyways, if/when that happens (within the next couple of weeks, I was told), then an offer will be written out for me to consider. He says he wasn't in a position to give me any numbers just yet, but that the compensation would be considerable. That sounds promising...

I've been struggling over this issue since it was first proposed to me. However, I've come to the conclusion that after 37 years of doing the exact same thing, there is no challenge in it for me. I've stagnated, and become complacent. Hell, I'm bored out of my mind. At least the new position and schedule would offer me something to challenge my way of life. It would also better my situation in retirement, which is truly the ultimate goal. I want to be done with the workaday world by 63 years of age, and this might be my last opportunity to improve my chances of successfully reaching that goal. I'm nervous as hell about all of this, but also getting a little excited, as well.

So thanks for asking, buddy. I'll be sure and update you again when I know something more. ;)

Well, it's funny you would bring this up, as earlier today I was thinking that I might want to update you folks on the situation. What timing, eh?

So, I've had a few more meetings, including one with the president of the company, and the support for me taking the position is strong. As for how I'm looking at it, I'm about 80% leaning toward accepting the promotion. I spoke with the plant manager, and I told him that the final piece of information that I need would be that of the salary. He chuckled that he was wondering if he needed to "dangle the money carrot" in front of me to prompt me to accept. He then went on to say that he needs a solid date from my boss on his retirement (my boss is kind of backpedaling a little on whether he really wants to retire just yet, or not). We all believe that yes, he will elect to follow through with the retirement, but a set date is needed. Anyways, if/when that happens (within the next couple of weeks, I was told), then an offer will be written out for me to consider. He says he wasn't in a position to give me any numbers just yet, but that the compensation would be considerable. That sounds promising...

I've been struggling over this issue since it was first proposed to me. However, I've come to the conclusion that after 37 years of doing the exact same thing, there is no challenge in it for me. I've stagnated, and become complacent. Hell, I'm bored out of my mind. At least the new position and schedule would offer me something to challenge my way of life. It would also better my situation in retirement, which is truly the ultimate goal. I want to be done with the workaday world by 63 years of age, and this might be my last opportunity to improve my chances of successfully reaching that goal. I'm nervous as hell about all of this, but also getting a little excited, as well.

So thanks for asking, buddy. I'll be sure and update you again when I know something more. ;)
Good for you...wait for all the pieces to fall, take your time and make the right decision then. There would be nothing wrong with retiring later if the position does not work out to your expectations.

Great minds and all that, right?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

From the sounds of it, things are looking rather good!! I'm guessing your 80% lean, moving to a 100% yes, is going to depend on how nice that carrot looks!! Curious that he can't give you a number until your boss gives a final date for retirement. Maybe they don't want him to know how much more you'll be making than he did??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (maybe wishful thinking on my part for you)

I look forward to hearing more good news in the weeks to come!!

Great minds and all that, right?? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

From the sounds of it, things are looking rather good!! I'm guessing your 80% lean, moving to a 100% yes, is going to depend on how nice that carrot looks!! Curious that he can't give you a number until your boss gives a final date for retirement. Maybe they don't want him to know how much more you'll be making than he did??:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (maybe wishful thinking on my part for you)

I look forward to hearing more good news in the weeks to come!!
I think he (plant manager) just doesn't want to throw those numbers out until we're 100% sure my boss will truly be leaving. Just kind of the vibe I got from our conversation. And yes, you're correct about my "yes" decision fully depending on size of the carrot. While I would welcome the challenges the new position would pose for me, I would only welcome it at a fair price. I'm not quite willing to make my life overly difficult without being compensated for doing so. ;)

Seriously though. The schedule. I come in an hour early each day I work in the field just to have some peace and quiet on the John. Lol
That's one of the things I discussed with him, as it was a major sticking point for me, and that was one of "schedule". He said that he really didn't care what my start/stop time was (within reason, of course), so long as the job was getting done. I gave him an example of the potential schedule that I had in mind, and he was fine with it. He did remind me that there would be days where the job basically demanded that I need to put in a longer day to deal with problems, but I was already acutely aware of that, and deal with such things in that same manner already, even at the level I'm currently holding. Therefore, it's something of a non-issue with me.

Kind of a tough decision, and the money helps when stepping up to more responsibilities sometimes.

I had a similar choice with my job, moving up to a lead, then Shop Supervisor. And I did it, saw it through till they moved the whole plant, and I retired. Over 30 years at the same company.

But it took a toll on my health. So I’d say choose carefully, money isn’t everything.

Sometimes a stress free life is worth more than any amount of money.

Kind of a tough decision, and the money helps when stepping up to more responsibilities sometimes.

I had a similar choice with my job, moving up to a lead, then Shop Supervisor. And I did it, saw it through till they moved the whole plant, and I retired. Over 30 years at the same company.

But it took a toll on my health. So I’d say choose carefully, money isn’t everything.

Sometimes a stress free life is worth more than any amount of money.
I'm on my fourth marriage. What is this "stress free life" of which you speak? :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, I do appreciate you pointing that out as a legitimate concern. Believe me, it is something I think about often.

Yeah, divorce is an ass kicker stress wise, been there. 🤣

I’m a perfectionist, which always pleased my boss, got me advancements and raises, but did me no favors at work.

That’s why I mentioned the “money isn’t everything”.

Good luck!

Final decision has to come from within yourself.
I spent over 26 years in upper management positions and can only offer this; You can only manage yourself, and if you understand this it will enable you to successfully “ lead” others.
At 37 years in, I've spent 2 years as a Machine Operator, 15 years of it as a Lead, and 20 years of it as a Supervisor. There's a lot of wisdom in your words. ;)

Your first post on this was Dec 8th. I don't think I've taken that much time to decide on anything.

I can hear my mother saying to me Shit or get off the pot, if I hadn't decided by now.

My problem is no matter what choice I make I'm always second guessing myself. I can't shut my brain off.

The only person that can decide is you good luck.

1_image-asset.jpg

One of my leadership consulant friends likes to tell his clients that you need to be "comfortable being uncomfortable." Lot of truth there...
sounds like the type of thing written in every self help book ever made!

I'm going purely off his comment about doing the same thing for 37 years becoming complacent, facing no new challenges and being board out of his head....

Your first post on this was Dec 8th. I don't think I've taken that much time to decide on anything.

I can hear my mother saying to me Shit or get off the pot, if I hadn't decided by now.

My problem is no matter what choice I make I'm always second guessing myself. I can't shut my brain off.

The only person that can decide is you good luck.
Well, they did tell me there was no hurry... :LOL: