Not sure I want this promotion

congrats on your decision. you will sleep good tonight. last year at 55 i had 2 weeks to decide if i wanted to accept to get a decent buyout or stay. many sleepless nights, but they gave me $50k and $150k in a med. acct +2 yrs full paid medical and i get my pension which was froze in 2005. luckily i always gave 20% to my 401 and live a simple life and owe nothing so i took their offer but it was a hell of a decision after being there 32 yrs. i'm sure its been hard on you !

giphy.gif

I could ride a motorcycle in, and look like one of those dang Geico commercials... ;)
If lane splitting was allowed in Washington and Oregon, like California, I would have commuted from Corvallis to Seattle every week on a bike. That Friday afternoon commute from Seattle to Tacoma (60 miles) took longer than the rest of my commute home (210 miles).

I laughed at your response (question) because, no...my boss was not happy in his position. However, my boss has never been happy with anything in life, it would seem. He's a cantankerous, obstinate, crotchety old man. Twenty years ago, he was a cantankerous, obstinate, crotchety younger man! He's just being himself, and the position has nothing to do with it. :LOL:
Hell - I didn't know you were taking my old job!

So, not too far away from it being a year since I took the position. Just thought I'd comment on what it's been like for me the past 10.5-ish months.

Traffic sucks. Traffic suuuuucks. Seriously. It. Sucks. Sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks, sucks. :rolleyes:

Hiring anyone has been a huge challenge. In the past four months, I've interviewed only 7 people. That's all we can seem to get in. No one seems to want to work in this area. I just don't get it. I did hire one young lad...24 years old...who has proven to be absolutely incredible. He puts in 8.0 hours every day. Not 7.9, or 8.1, but exactly 8.0 hours. I asked him if he could put in a couple hours of overtime last week, and he gave me exactly a 10.0-hour day! :LOL: The kid's got skills, and puts his talent to good use. I could use a few more just like him. You can bet I'll be pushing for a raise for this kid.

I've lost my key fabrication guy to retirement (July 5th). It's left a big hole in the department, and filling it is going to be a nightmare. He was the area Lead. I did promote from within to fill the Lead position, though he just doesn't have quite the skillset as his predecessor. Still, he's been there for a long damn time. Also, he happens to be deaf. This is something that he has not let stand in his way, and I know he'll do a great job, and give it his all. When he got the increase to go with the new responsibility, you should've seen the look on his face. It was awesome!

My boss seems to be very happy with the job I'm doing. During my mid-year evaluation, he pointed out a number of times that I'm "exceeding expectations". In fact, that was the final assessment. I've been truly giving it my best, and it seems to be paying off.

Speaking of "paying off", many of you may recall that the only reason I took the promotion into this position was so that I could better my retirement situation, and expedite paying-off my house. Well, when I started on September 1st of last year, I still owed somewhere between $78,000 -$82,000 on
Casa de Squatch. Ten months later, I'm down to $44,250 owed on my mortgage. I'm pushing to have it paid-off by June of 2023. After that, if the added stress and traffic don't beat me to a pulp, I'll put in another 2 to 2.5 years to help build my savings account, and then I am outta there! I've actually come to enjoy paying on the mortgage, because I've been able to watch the balance-owed steadily decline. It's extremely satisfying, I must say.

Anyways, that it. While there are days where I question the sanity of my decision to take the job, the days are more typically tolerable, and I try my best to keep my eye on the prize. I guess that all any of us can do. (y)

That's great news Sir. My Wife and I , through a lot of sacrifice, paid off our 30 yr. mortgage in 21 yrs.
And that allowed us to retire and move out of CA. and back to her home state of MT.

That's great news Sir. My Wife and I , through a lot of sacrifice, paid off our 30 yr. mortgage in 21 yrs.
And that allowed us to retire and move out of CA. and back to her home state of MT.

We did the paid off thing but still have not escaped NY yet. If it was not for medical insurance I would be done as well, but at age 55 too many years till medicare kicks in

We did the paid off thing but still have not escaped NY yet. If it was not for medical insurance I would be done as well, but at age 55 too many years till medicare kicks in

I just thank my Goddess every day for my last employer of 22+ years. Anyone who is 55 or older, and has been with the institute for 10 years or longer, can keep their health insurance through them. I have to pay 50% of it, but its top grade insurance and worth it. When I go onto medicare, the insurance stops, BUT they kick over $1K/mo into an HSA that can be used to pay for a part B premium, among other things. Between that and being a cheap bastard all my life, I retired at 56-1/2.