Not your mama's long arm debate

Then you haven't seen very many longarm TJ's going down the road. Mine does 70+ MPH no problem.

Says the guy with the V8 swap :ROFLMAO:

Sixth off (i think?)... this is the only forum i know of that let's people argue and cuss if necessary. Every other place will suspend you for saying 💩.

Haha, spend a month over on Pirate and you'll take back what you just said ;)

Wow this thread rapidly devolved into almost nasty, then came full circle to be almost helpful again. This forum is full of amazing information, but it saddens me that sometimes it is obfuscated in such a manner as to seem almost intentional. I digress.

Back on topic though:

Several people have hinted at this question, and it has seemingly been deflected. I'm happy to take all the bashing to ask it again for the betterment of all.

What reference is most respected in this forum for what specific changes to things such as AS and IC are most favorable for given applications? We talk ourselves in circles forever, but for someone truly looking to try to decide what their targets for all of these parameters should be, where are they supposed to look? What are they supposed to read? Not everyone is born with this knowledge innately.

While I'm willingly subjecting myself to flaming, I'll add this: A good chunk of my career was spent working on suspension designs for road race setups for a fairly respected company in that industry. When it comes to setting these vehicles up, information is abundant. I have a shelf full of excellent books describing in great detail what the effects of camber gain, caster settings, and toe are, and how they can be tuned to match specific track conditions. Great details abound about what specific settings can help accommodate an off camber downhill turn at 0.8G. Yet in my hobby of building offroad rigs, this information is seemingly guarded closely and shared only in tiny increments and disguised as insults. I've never understood this, and it honestly saddens me.

Maybe I just suck at searching, but I really wish we had a centralized helpful writeup somewhere that helped newcomers learn these things that we bash them for not knowing. Is this something we could work together as a community to create?

Maybe I just suck at searching, but I really wish we had a centralized helpful writeup somewhere that helped newcomers learn these things that we bash them for not knowing. Is this something we could work together as a community to create?

Exactly. I agree with this 100%.

The common response is "search for the info", or, "look at this thread".

However, no one seems to want to put all their knowledge into one helpful post.

I'm the fucking admin of this site. If someone were do this, I would make it a sticky in the TJ Resources section of this site, so that it could be easily found by others.

I don't care if it's 10 pages long. If it's well organized, easy to follow, has links to videos that better explain things, etc., I would love a resource like this.

But again, no one wants to do it.

I don't know nearly as much as some of these guys, otherwise I would do it myself.

So what gives? Do I need to pay someone to do it? Because if that's the case, I'll give $100 to whoever writes a very informative and helpful post on the matter.

Wow this thread rapidly devolved into almost nasty, then came full circle to be almost helpful again. This forum is full of amazing information, but it saddens me that sometimes it is obfuscated in such a manner as to seem almost intentional. I digress.

Back on topic though:

Several people have hinted at this question, and it has seemingly been deflected. I'm happy to take all the bashing to ask it again for the betterment of all.

What reference is most respected in this forum for what specific changes to things such as AS and IC are most favorable for given applications? We talk ourselves in circles forever, but for someone truly looking to try to decide what their targets for all of these parameters should be, where are they supposed to look? What are they supposed to read? Not everyone is born with this knowledge innately.

While I'm willingly subjecting myself to flaming, I'll add this: A good chunk of my career was spent working on suspension designs for road race setups for a fairly respected company in that industry. When it comes to setting these vehicles up, information is abundant. I have a shelf full of excellent books describing in great detail what the effects of camber gain, caster settings, and toe are, and how they can be tuned to match specific track conditions. Great details abound about what specific settings can help accommodate an off camber downhill turn at 0.8G. Yet in my hobby of building offroad rigs, this information is seemingly guarded closely and shared only in tiny increments and disguised as insults. I've never understood this, and it honestly saddens me.

This write up, linked last page by @someguysjeep seems pretty good

https://www.crawlpedia.com/4_link_suspension.htm

I'm the fucking admin of this site. If someone were do this, I would make it a sticky in the TJ Resources section of this site, so that it could be easily found by others.

I don't care if it's 10 pages long. If it's well organized, easy to follow, has links to videos that better explain things, etc., I would love a resource like this.

I don't know nearly as much as some of these guys, otherwise I would do it myself.

So what gives? Do I need to pay someone to do it? Because if that's the case, I'll give $100 to whoever writes a very informative and helpful post on the matter.

It’s a common complaint on every forum. Some do it ok, most don’t.
For reference, ARFCOM does a pretty great job of this, but it’s not a small niche TJ forum (no offense meant as I was admin of a little off-road forum back in the day) so good luck! Offering the cash is a new thing, someone should jump on that!!!!

It’s a common complaint on every forum. Some do it ok, most don’t.
For reference, ARFCOM does a pretty great job of this, but it’s not a small niche TJ forum (no offense meant as I was admin of a little off-road forum back in the day) so good luck! Offering the cash is a new thing, someone should jump on that!!!!
But, ARFCOM has no like button!!!

Reactions: Rick Flair

I'm happy to attempt to put a couple dozen years of my own experience into a post, and it might be helpful to someone, but I am not an authoritative source on off-road suspension design by any stretch. I do not think this is something that a single person should take on. I think we should decide what format is conducive to multiple people contributing, and then work together to consolidate information.

I hate to suggest abstraction, but this is almost more of a wiki type of thing, rather than forum thread. I don't know truly what the best format is here, but I would LOVE to see us all come together as a community to help create such a reference. I would also be more than willing to help in any way that I can with such an effort.

Reactions: xxdabroxx
OMG, you made me spit out my drink. Are you a flubro!?!? 🤣

I always find it funny when I find another arfcommer on another forum.
Hoepfully gene5 isn’t here! 😬
No flubro here. I’d be more worried about Bullet_Sponge and the other underscores.

That was post 1087 too!

Reactions: Rick Flair
I'm happy to attempt to put a couple dozen years of my own experience into a post, and it might be helpful to someone, but I am not an authoritative source on off-road suspension design by any stretch. I do not think this is something that a single person should take on. I think we should decide what format is conducive to multiple people contributing, and then work together to consolidate information.

I hate to suggest abstraction, but this is almost more of a wiki type of thing, rather than forum thread. I don't know truly what the best format is here, but I would LOVE to see us all come together as a community to help create such a reference. I would also be more than willing to help in any way that I can with such an effort.

Blaine is a designer of off-road suspension, so while I always wish he would do something like this, he's publicly mentioned why he won't on numerous occasions, so that's a dead end outlet.

I agree though, if it could be a Wiki format (or at least a thread where everyone could edit the original post), I think maybe people would contribute, I don't know.

I'm sure I could piece together information from books about off-road suspension design and setup, but I'm not sure how well a book about general off-road suspension design is going to apply to the TJ platform.