Nothing is more American than bloat

A bunch of my buddies have RZRs. You could put a lot of mods into a TJ for the price of a stock RZR, and they don't stay stock for long.

When we moved to Utah a few years back we decided to get into the wheeling scene. Didn't know anything about it and initially we started looking for RZRs - I was shocked at what these things were going for. We wanted something that could fit 4 plus some gear, and had a tough time finding anything under the $15-20k mark. To me that is a lot of money to lay out for something that is purely recreation. So, I adjusted our target and eventually landed on a well-kept '99 Sahara for $9k. Did a little work to it and now I have a legally-tagged extra truck in the driveway that provides much more "utility" than an actual UTV.

C'mon Chris its just like going from this:

1580178350275.png

To this:

1580179552296.png

The Jeep actually has changed the least in my opinion over the years compared to any other vehicle.
It has stayed pretty true to itself !!!

Keep in mind that most of the newbie JK/JL buyers never had the opportunity to drive and/or fall in love with the old CJs. So they'll never understand why we think the way we do.

It seems like I'm seeing a ton of newer used jeeps for sale. Like the non-jeepers finally realized it's not really a practical family vehicle. Especially after it's been modified.

A little harsh.
Except for modern bumper, I feel like they're at least trying to keep the grill very CJ-esque.

The seven slots and round headlights are close but:

The History of Jeep Bumpers
JEEPCJTJ

The CJ bumper was pretty much a C channel piece of 16 gauge sheet metal. The YJ bumper didn't change much if at all. The TJ bumper was basically the stock CJ/YJ bumper with the milk jugs added. The JK designers were so inspired by those milk jugs that they decided to place the fog lights into the bumper. I believe that is proof that they never went off roading. The JL designers really connected with those bumper mounted fog lights but couldn't stop there. First they said to the JK designers "Holding my wife's sangria is so tiring, could you hold it for me?" Then they created what we see today. 😞

Thanks, thanks alot for that image. Now I have to gouge my eyes out.

Sorry about that. I guess I didn't make that last picture small enough.

Reactions: bedhed and Chris
I get some of the changes in size for the Wrangler since they were related to roll-over accidents, lawsuits and such (and of course, law suits are equally American).

But driving a big, bulky vehicle just doesn't feel right to me. When I drive something reasonable smaller, I feel like I actually have some freedom on the road to go where I want (or at least park where I want). When I went on my honeymoon to Ireland, the thing that I hated the most with driving over there was how narrow all the lanes were. When I got back to the U.S. I felt like a bird driving in the massive lanes.

Jumping in some honcho chonk of a big SUV just kills that.

C'mon Chris its just like going from this:

To this:

View attachment 137037

The Jeep actually has changed the least in my opinion over the years compared to any other vehicle.
It has stayed pretty true to itself !!!

The lovely Pamela has moved back home to our little town Of Ladysmith. Have seen her a few times around town. She's fixed up her grandmothers old house . . .