Novak block hugger headers for a Gen III swap?

Oreyca

Supporting Member
I was wondering if any of you have used the Novak block hugger headers for a TJ Gen lll swap? If so, have they been reliable, leak free and have you been generally happy with them after putting some miles and years on them? So that's the primary question but to expand a bit if you care to read on; I have a 2004 TJ Rubicon, 4.0L, Auto. It's basically stock for now except for 1.25" BL. I've got a Gen lll 6.0L (LQ9) and 4L65E from a 2004 Escalade that I'm preparing to swap in. The LQ9 got a stock rebuild. Right or wrong I've bought the Novak weld in engine mounts and their t-case adapter. I don't believe shorty tube headers will offer any significant performance gains, I'm really just looking for something to fit well and be durable/reliable. I would actually prefer OE style cast manifolds with heat shields and ideally I would like to be able to modify the Escalade down pipes (w/ converters) and get them to fit. That might be a tall order. The Hooker cast manifolds look very much like the OE truck manifolds with different outlet positioning and without heat shields. The only reason I'm considering the Novak headers is because they're meant to work for the swap at hand so I can feel fairly confident they will fit and work. I know there will be snags along the way but I'm trying my hardest to get all the RIGHT parts here to at least make it run and drive before I even touch my Jeep. I have seen random forum posts saying different OE manifolds will work but then seeing others saying they won't, which doesn't inspire confidence. I have also seen in LS forums people saying that stock LS manifolds weld well and they have successfully cut, modified and welded them to reposition the outlet. Maybe this is an option with the Escalade manifolds but though I have a welder, I certainly am not a welder. Any thoughts, advise, experience about the primary question or my other thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Lastly, sorry, I know I'm long winded but thanks if you made it this far.

20200416_213452.jpg

I believe the popular choice for an OEM header is from a Camaro but I can’t remember what years. Off the top of my head I wanna say 2010-14 Camaro.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I believe the popular choice for an OEM header is from a Camaro but I can’t remember what years. Off the top of my head I wanna say 2010-14 Camaro.
Do you know if that is typically done with the driver's side down pipe passing under the bell housing or a loop under the oil pan? Looking at them I assume under the bell housing which I think is what I would prefer but wonder if there could be driveline clearance issues.

Do you know if that is typically done with the driver's side down pipe passing under the bell housing or a loop under the oil pan? Looking at them I assume under the bell housing which I think is what I would prefer but wonder if there could be driveline clearance issues.
Oh man you’re getting too technical for me 😅 Last time I read any threads regarding LS swaps was like two years ago. But I distinctly remembering that everyone seemed to have good luck with the OE Camaro manifolds.

Back to the original question and another long post, sorry. Well the more I look under the Jeep in stock form it seems clearance on the left side of the bell housing is pretty tight because of the front prop shaft. I don't know that I can snake the LH circuit between the engine/trans and the prop shaft to cross under the bell housing. Maybe with a lift it would free up space but I would still think it would be tight with the LF suspension at full compression. I keep going back to the Novak headers with the cross loop under the engine oil pan because it should work and probably be easier. Even with the Novak though, the clearance looks tight at the passenger engine mount brackets and I expect it would be even tighter with the 1 5/8" primary headers they recommend for the H/O 6.0L. The Novak engine mounts have three positions you can mount the engine side plate to the block. With the 1-5/8" primary headers I think I would be limited to mounting the plates as far forward as allowed. Not a big deal but reduces flexibility of engine placement. Also the Novak ceramic headers are a little pricey. Of course I'm not doing this to save money and if I have to spend it I will but if I can save a dollar here or there then that translates to more goodies for the Jeep down the road. I was liking the idea of OE style with heat shields because it looks like the manifold will pass very close to the steering shaft pillow bearing but I could probably just make a heat shield for the bearing if need be. I also get the impression that the cast manifolds are a bit more durable and less problematic in general than a tube style header. Regardless, I guess we're back to the original question, any positive or negative experiences with the Novak headers? Specifically the Ceramic coated 1-5/8" primary ones, PN CCLS158C. Also any suggestions on what catalytic converters to use and their placement would be great. I assume I need to fit two cats in there but need to confirm that with the state of Colorado. I also need to verify that Headers will pass the Colorado inspection. I know headers will not fly in California but I don't think Colorado cares as long as you have all emissions control devices from the donor installed and it passes the IM240 test. Thanks!

Back to the original question and another long post, sorry. Well the more I look under the Jeep in stock form it seems clearance on the left side of the bell housing is pretty tight because of the front prop shaft. I don't know that I can snake the LH circuit between the engine/trans and the prop shaft to cross under the bell housing. Maybe with a lift it would free up space but I would still think it would be tight with the LF suspension at full compression. I keep going back to the Novak headers with the cross loop under the engine oil pan because it should work and probably be easier. Even with the Novak though, the clearance looks tight at the passenger engine mount brackets and I expect it would be even tighter with the 1 5/8" primary headers they recommend for the H/O 6.0L. The Novak engine mounts have three positions you can mount the engine side plate to the block. With the 1-5/8" primary headers I think I would be limited to mounting the plates as far forward as allowed. Not a big deal but reduces flexibility of engine placement. Also the Novak ceramic headers are a little pricey. Of course I'm not doing this to save money and if I have to spend it I will but if I can save a dollar here or there then that translates to more goodies for the Jeep down the road. I was liking the idea of OE style with heat shields because it looks like the manifold will pass very close to the steering shaft pillow bearing but I could probably just make a heat shield for the bearing if need be. I also get the impression that the cast manifolds are a bit more durable and less problematic in general than a tube style header. Regardless, I guess we're back to the original question, any positive or negative experiences with the Novak headers? Specifically the Ceramic coated 1-5/8" primary ones, PN CCLS158C. Also any suggestions on what catalytic converters to use and their placement would be great. I assume I need to fit two cats in there but need to confirm that with the state of Colorado. I also need to verify that Headers will pass the Colorado inspection. I know headers will not fly in California but I don't think Colorado cares as long as you have all emissions control devices from the donor installed and it passes the IM240 test. Thanks!
I have the same concerns. What did you end up going with for huggers? Im not sold yet on Novak headers, but dont know what other options to go with. I dont see much posts of anyone reviewing Advance Adapters Jeep kit.