Novak shifter cable / NV241

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
The stock t-case linkage is officially on my shitlist after it popped out on me deep in the mountains last night on an impromtu off road excursion. I didn't bring any tools with me, but I had my flashlight and a bunch of testosterone and used pute rage to get it to seat back in place.

Fearing losing a component on the road or trail, I need to do something. I never liked the action of the stock linkage anyway, would the Novak SK3XR be the correct and logical solution?

Last edited:
I've ran the Novak cable shifter on both my cherokee and now my TJ, I love it. Fix it once and never look back

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Why savvy over Novak? I thought Novak was the the all holy of shift linkage.
The Novak has a few issues that were pointed out to them by Savvy's designer, @mrblaine. When they didn't do anything to fix the issues, mrblaine introduced the improved version in the Savvy lineup.

Reactions: Chason and CodaMan
Savvy made some improvements to the Novak shifter. I don't remember what they were, but there are threads on it.
I read about this on another forums, but the source of that info led back to the same person, possibly true - possibly subjective. Regardless, it sounded like a fitment related design mod for the most part. I'm fairly set on the Novak anyhow,
Go Savvy!
You have the NP 241, right?

https://shop.savvyoffroad.com/Transfer-Case-Cable-Shifter-Kit-for-the-NP-241-SAV-241S.htm

See p 17 of my build thread for install
241J

I read about this on another forums, but the source of that info led back to the same person, possibly true - possibly subjective. Regardless, it sounded like a fitment related design mod for the most part. I'm fairly set on the Novak anyhow,

241J
You did ask. I read all the same information and decided on the Savvy. If you're set on Novak, go for it!

You did ask. I read all the same information and decided on the Savvy. If you're set on Novak, go for it!
It doesn't appear that either are a bad option, based off of what I have read. I have read that the Savvy contains Chinesium, I don't know if that is true or not - but I am flat out boycotting Chinese materials for my build wherever possible! I have had some craply luck even with overseas made bolts (had a new one snap in my rear DS when I was wrenching it down).

Either way, this linkage needs to go!!!

241J
There is nothing subjective about having to drill out the holes in the tub, altering the angle of the tub bracket, or fixing the pilot bushing so the ball stud tightens down and doesn't wobble. Nothing at all.

It doesn't appear that either are a bad option, based off of what I have read. I have read that the Savvy contains Chinesium, I don't know if that is true or not - but I am flat out boycotting Chinese materials for my build wherever possible! I have had some craply luck even with overseas made bolts (had a new one snap in my rear DS when I was wrenching it down).

Either way, this linkage needs to go!!!
There isn't a single aspect of the Savvy Cable shifters that are not made here unless there is some minor hardware that no one really gives a shit about and won't fail no matter where it's made. In fact if you'll be so kind as to post up the source of that erroneous info, I'll be glad to go correct it.

Well I guess someone had to keep Novak in business. I had ordered it not long after posting, not that I regret the decision or anything like that. The linkage is pretty terriblle - I was incredibly gentle and careful removing it, but it just never seemed to want to seat back correctly after it had been removed. I'll file this as another improvement over factory equipment.

@Chris - feel free to close this thread before a flame war ensues!

Reactions: Chris
I'm not sure what improvements the Savvy shifter has over the Novak to be honest. I just know that that seems to be the word on the internet, so I went with the Savvy shifter. They look very similar, so I'd be curious to know what the differences are with the Savvy shifter!