Now that Wranglers are so huge, will Jeep introduce a smaller version?

gg1

TJ Enthusiast
I know BMW, Audi and others grow the vehicle and then introduce a smaller version, like the Audi A3 that is like the A4 of old. The now giant BMW 3 series needed to have a 2 series for people that actually want something sporty instead of a floating living room. I was looking at the new Wrangler and I really wouldn't have interest in it. TJ's are about as big as I would want, so I guess I better take really good care of mine. Do you think they will just keep growing them? Seems Americans love huge. Pickups these days are truly giant and really aren't all that great for hauling in the beds because the beds are so damn high. Maybe Jeep won't do a smaller one knowing most just love really big vehicles. What do you think? Will we see a little Jeep ever again?

I highly, highly doubt it. They’re likely to phase out the 2 door in time. I would bet within 10 years they the 2 door models are discontinued. They simply don’t sell enough of them compared to the 4 door.

Yea, sadly the 2-door version of the wrangler seems to be much less popular than the 4-door, so the outlook isn't great for anything like that.

And it's kind of a shame since I think the 2-door is the only decent looking version of JK/JLs. Then again, I don't have kids and don't even have a need for my back seat, let alone a second set of doors (it gathers dust in my shed).

No. They'll only continue to get larger. Look at the evolution of any of the smaller trucks made by Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Ford - they never get smaller, just bigger. As already stated, they may even stop selling the 2-door JLs altogether.

Reactions: mikalcarbine
I wonder if an LJ sized 2 Door JL would do better. Just give it a bit more storage space without reaching the Unlimited size. I know Mopar had a kit to convert but it would be cool to see Jeep do another official CJ8/LJ extended model. Kept waiting to see that in the JK line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: fourpointzero
Yea, sadly the 2-door version of the wrangler seems to be much less popular than the 4-door, so the outlook isn't great for anything like that.

Wish I could find a break down of 4 door vs 2 door. The Wrangler is breaking records in sales in '18 however. I think I see a few more 4 doors, but not sure. Seems very close around my region, but JK's are a dime a dozen. TONS of them. Not a fan at all and won't own one. I would probably look for something different if I ever sell my TJ.

They already have a small version. Renegade Italian style.
upload_2018-7-21_16-7-30.png

eww !!! (I know it's mine, need to get rid of it but don't know when, and trade it to what) I may wait for the Suzuki Jimny as my DD.

Last edited:
I may be in the minority, but out of the JK/U’s I think the JKU looks MUCH better than the JK.

For a 2-door Wrangler, the TJ looks better than the JK.

But definitely on the JK’s, the JKU looks better.

And I feel the same way about the JL.

No business wants to cannabalize their product sales.

Too similar of a product, qith alternative competitions.. razor, side by sides, etc...

I don't know if the 2-door JLs are made in the same plant as the 4-doors, but if not, ChryFiatsler may pull a GM (Chevy Cruze) move and shut down the 2-door production due to lack of sales.

Wish I could find a break down of 4 door vs 2 door. The Wrangler is breaking records in sales in '18 however. I think I see a few more 4 doors, but not sure. Seems very close around my region, but JK's are a dime a dozen. TONS of them. Not a fan at all and won't own one. I would probably look for something different if I ever sell my TJ.

Last I saw it’s about 80/20. I think Jeep does say the numbers every now and then.

And it's kind of a shame since I think the 2-door is the only decent looking version of JK/JLs. Then again, I don't have kids and don't even have a need for my back seat, let alone a second set of doors (it gathers dust in my shed).
The JLU performs better off road with the extended long base, so IMO its a no brainer. But the 2 doors do look better.

I wonder if an LJ sized 2 Door JL would do better. Just give it a bit more storage space without reaching the Unlimited size. I know Mopar had a kit to convert but it would be cool to see Jeep do another official CJ8/LJ extended model. Kept waiting to see that in the JK line.

Already been on the market for a while...But not by MOPAR, can you post a link to the Mopar kit?
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/found-the-jk-fix-it-actually-looks-awesome.7295/
2D7311B6-368E-43D9-AABD-F07D1A2953DB.jpeg
B63742DE-3892-4BDA-8B21-32D2F24D97A5.jpeg

This is actually a great idea! Wonder if the Jeep engineers have explored this idea...

This is actually a great idea! Wonder if the Jeep engineers have explored this idea...

I was hoping beyond the JK they'd do a limited run of (L)JKs. CJs had the '8s at the end of their run, TJ's got the LJ. Maybe Jeep figured since there was a kit, that was good enough?

Reactions: TJ2
I was hoping beyond the JK they'd do a limited run of (L)JKs. CJs had the '8s at the end of their run, TJ's got the LJ. Maybe Jeep figured since there was a kit, that was good enough?
Yeah, what happened? It would be a hit if they had the LJK. I got the '14 JK 2 Door Oscar-Mike Edition and would love to try the LJK.