Now that Wranglers are so huge, will Jeep introduce a smaller version?

The JLU performs better off road with the extended long base, so IMO its a no brainer. But the 2 doors do look better.
Eh, that depends a lot on the terrain you're going through. You get a good climb with a JKU, sure, but that breakover angle will screw you on sharp crests. You'll also be more nimble for narrower turns if you go through narrow, curvy trails.

Reactions: StG58
Check out the Jeep 4Speed.

https://www.jeep.com/jeep-life/easter-jeep-safari.html

Also.. every Easter Safari... Jeep always had a light weight concept.

I would say that the demand will always drive their product portfolio... but they do remember the foundations of Jeep.. 2 door lightweight billy goats.

Also this.... Cj66.

2017-Moab-Easter-Jeep-Safari-CJ66.jpg

Wish I could find a break down of 4 door vs 2 door.
found this from 2016..

"DaimlerChrysler sold almost 120,000 Wranglers in 2007, nearly a 35 percent sales jump versus 2006. The JK Unlimited accounted for about 66,000 of those sales.
The tally was even larger in 2008, with the JK Unlimited selling 95,000 of Wrangler’s 154,000 total.
Today, sales estimates vary for 4-door versus 2-door JKs. Usually somewhere between 2- or 3-to-1 as Jeep has enjoyed a record resurgence this decade."

Does not seem likely Jeep would want to drop the JL and lose 25% to 33% of Wrangler sales.

I love the 2 door and I'd love the 4 door if it had more than a child sized back seat. To me the JKU/JLU is a compromise to keep it small.

This, I'd buy. Bigger rear doors, actual rear seat legroom, and an overhang for cargo capacity.

landscape-1426780082-cn015-021jptrsarhum0b2cuccshvnrbg0jo4.jpg

Reactions: psrivats
OP, in the long haul, never say never, but it might not be how you would like to envision it! Trends come and go. Almost all cars were boats when I was a kid, and then the norm changed. Cars got smaller, and smaller, and most were ball-less at the same time! All in order to become more efficient by mandate when fuel was so expensive. With more intelligent engines\ECU's, and cheaper fuel (in the US), we have seen the return of the behemoths yet again. But this time they are lighter, more efficient, and more powerful.

In the short term future, I agree with the others since the current tread is bigger is better, and the two door JK Wrangler doesn't hold it's value as well as the four door model. But this trend will likely end at some point. Further out into the future, when it supposedly is supposed to go full-on electric, 4x4's like all vehicles would need to be lighter to be efficient enough to be marketable (especially since the batteries can make up ~25% of the weight). It wouldn't likely be until we become much more efficient with better battery technology, or some other technology, until we would see the behemoths rule the streets once again.

Gasoline is a bad ass fuel, and honestly I don't think Wranglers will ever be the same without it :( . Except the older ones that we are driving as historical vehicles!

Reactions: Chris
The 4 door changed the game. You can't argue with the numbers. It made the jeep concept more versatile and really pulled SUV owners to jeep.

The TJ is a purpose built off road /on road runabout , like most all it's predecessors.

I'm convinced an extended jk/JL 2 door would be better received than the 2 door Jk has been .

The new Wrangler truck is going to be a sales disappointment .

The 4 door won't get smaller , but the engine will likely get larger and more powerful .

They likely don't realize what the engines are doing to how those are received in the market ....a 3.6 can't pull 37's and 5000lbs plus 4 people and accessories like it needs to....and a lot of would be buyers know this .

I think this is exactly why Mahindra is trying to get into the American market with the Roxor, when you see one, and you grew up around willys like I did, you see the resemblance immediately. It shares parts with the cj4a, I don’t think you could claim that with our TJ’s.
They see the gap in the market, and they’re trying to fill it. God bless capatalism, just get the gubment out of the way.

Reactions: Red Dog and StG58
Eh, that depends a lot on the terrain you're going through. You get a good climb with a JKU, sure, but that breakover angle will screw you on sharp crests. You'll also be more nimble for narrower turns if you go through narrow, curvy trails.

Yes. The U's struggle mightily to get up, around, over & through a lot of the stuff the TJ doesn't even notice. I spend a goodly amount of time each outing in a stopped position awaiting the completion of multi-point turns, high center avoidance & other workarounds necessary by the larger vehicles behind me. This issue is definitely terrain specific and I'm in one where a shorter wheelbase is an advantage; some of it can be overcome by certain build strategies but in the end it's an over complicated situation brought about by that oft-professed need for more cargo space. If only 4 door Jeeps were available I'd walk away & find some other venture to empty out my bank account :roto2rie:

I think this is exactly why Mahindra is trying to get into the American market with the Roxor, when you see one, and you grew up around willys like I did, you see the resemblance immediately. It shares parts with the cj4a, I don’t think you could claim that with our TJ’s.
They see the gap in the market, and they’re trying to fill it. God bless capatalism, just get the gubment out of the way.
They are pretty cool. One issue with the Roxor is they said they would not be allowed on public roads. Makes sense since Mahindra is a tractor/utility vehicle company in North America. This would be a deal breaker for me. Not sure if they plan to ever sell on-road vehicles in NA like they do in India and elsewhere. Probably wouldn’t be cost effective for a low sales niche vehicle like this.

They are pretty cool. One issue with the Roxor is they said they would not be allowed on public roads. Makes sense since Mahindra is a tractor/utility vehicle company in North America. This would be a deal breaker for me. Not sure if they plan to ever sell on-road vehicles in NA like they do in India and elsewhere. Probably wouldn’t be cost effective for a low sales niche vehicle like this.
That’s why I said government needs to get out of the way. Except for the frame around the windshield and the governor on the engine, their the same as the road legal(in India) Mahindra Thar. And I’m pretty sure there’s more than a few that have found ways to bypass the laws concerning their on road legality. Probably why Jeep is pursuing legal action to get it out of America.
If I had a large ranch I would own one.

That’s why I said government needs to get out of the way. Except for the frame around the windshield and the governor on the engine, their the same as the road legal(in India) Mahindra Thar. And I’m pretty sure there’s more than a few that have found ways to bypass the laws concerning their on road legality. Probably why Jeep is pursuing legal action to get it out of America.
If I had a large ranch I would own one.

These would be awesome for a large ranch, no doubt. It’s interesting that Willy’s made the deal to share the technology way back almost 80 years ago. Now Jeep still has to deal with it today. That my friend is a successful design! The grill looks different enough to me, haha! I think that is part of what Jeep is fussed about, but I’m sure it’s all just delay tactics and whatever they can throw out to slow them down as much as possible. If the company is not breaking the law, I agree that the govt and Jeep should get out of the way. I’m afraid the days of reasonable government and fairness in the court system have long since sailed. Too much red tape to get anything done anymore.

I doubt it. Vehicles have all gotten larger due to increasing government demand and control over CAFE standards. Basically for trucks and SUVs to maintain their poor fuel economy they have to be physically larger (this is an oversimplification of it, but that's essentially what happens).

That's why I like TJs because I like their size and they feel like a Jeep still. JK feels like a Bronco ever did than a Jeep.

Reactions: Equilibrium31