NP/NV231J: The Beefening

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
I was contemplating my NV231J transfer case today. (dangerous, I know) I decided to do a little research on how to beef it up a little and add some additional functionality to it. I get that the 231 transfer case is one of the things that rarely goes south on our TJ's, but what the heck, stronger is better. Right?

What I came up with is interesting.

1.5" instead of the 1" drive chain.
Six planet instead of 3 planet gear sets
Heavy duty output shafts
SYE's in various flavors (aftermarket, of course)
2-low kits (aftermarket)
Cable shifters (aftermarket)
Two lip instead of one lip input shaft seals
Other neat tricks that I would have to go back and look at...

A lot of that stuff can be scavenged from used 231 D & C and 241 D transfer cases if a person is careful with matching the parts. The aftermarket parts can sometimes be picked up used for a reasonable price as well.

It's also cheaper and probably better to just grab a rebuilt / upgraded 231J from an after market supplier with all of that done. That's especially true if you go chasing new parts to build the transfer case. Some of those new parts get expensive fast.

Reactions: homerjaguar
Useful information, much of which I did not know.

You're right though, I seldom hear about the transfer cases going out. It's nice to know that if these things do crap on you though, that you've got a pretty wide variety of acceptable donors.

Reactions: StG58
That's the one. $1400 + $200 for the 21 spline input shaft + $200 for the 2-low kit and you're in business.
Useful information, much of which I did not know.

You're right though, I seldom hear about the transfer cases going out. It's nice to know that if these things do crap on you though, that you've got a pretty wide variety of acceptable donors.
The 231J regularly stands up just fine to V-8 and Diesel conversions. Upgrading would be overkill, but it's fun to look at anyway. Another upgrade that nobody would ever see.

Reactions: Chris
The 231J regularly stands up just fine to V-8 and Diesel conversions. Upgrading would be overkill, but it's fun to look at anyway. Another upgrade that nobody would ever see.

These days I limit myself. I remind myself by saying, "Remember what happened when I spent all that money on the Currie lift I didn't need?".

It's true though. Sure, if I was loaded to the gills, I would do stuff just to do it. But the older I get (and wiser), the more I start asking myself if I'm really going to put these "mods" to use. Hence why I've begun pushing mild lifts on people more often. Because you and I both know that most of us TJ owners aren't bashing the crap out of them in the rocks. I look at mine as more of an exploration vehicle personally.

I think Dodge used a 231HD that has the upgraded parts (wider chain and 6 pinion planetary) behind the diesels, but I'm not a dodge/ram truck guy
The 231D-HD has the 1.5" chain, but I don't think and have never heard of the 6 pinion planatary in one. The 241C does have the 6 pinion planatary, and if you're careful of the years they fit and work well. There's two different cuts on the planatary gears, early and late. Those have to match up with the gears in the TJ 231, which should all be late model.

These days I limit myself. I remind myself by saying, "Remember what happened when I spent all that money on the Currie lift I didn't need?".

It's true though. Sure, if I was loaded to the gills, I would do stuff just to do it. But the older I get (and wiser), the more I start asking myself if I'm really going to put these "mods" to use. Hence why I've begun pushing mild lifts on people more often. Because you and I both know that most of us TJ owners aren't bashing the crap out of them in the rocks. I look at mine as more of an exploration vehicle personally.
lol, right? I'm having a hard time justifying control arms right now, other than upper rears for the body lift/tummy tuck/SYE. It's just way to easy to get carried away modding a TJ with stuff that you'll never use. Still like looking into it though. The technology is cool.

lol, right? I'm having a hard time justifying control arms right now, other than upper rears for the body lift/tummy tuck/SYE. It's just way to easy to get carried away modding a TJ with stuff that you'll never use. Still like looking into it though. The technology is cool.
But, what if......

Reactions: StG58
Man I need to replace my chain can somebody here that knows about replacing it help me out? Been making a clonking noise at 20 and below speeds and when first accelerating and turning some and going over bumps and Ik it's the chain bc I did a lot of research and others had the same exact sound and found it was that but I'm thinking if I buy the chain and just do the whole take the case off and slip it on with a bunch of hardware itl fix it is it that simple ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's very easy to get carried away! I'm trying to balance fixes around the house with modding the TJ, so that's always fun.

If you really need a beefed up case, save up for an Atlas. Realistically, it is not necessary for most of us.
I know, @Rob5589, I don't need it. Heck, I don't even want it. I do like the swapping parts around to make something different and marginally better thing though. It's like my brakes. If I actually needed better brakes, I'd just call Blaine up and have them delivered. Done. But it's FUN to fiddle with a TJ. Even though you'll break it if you fiddle with it enough. And who knows, maybe I'll discover something useful sometime.

But if the chains loose going over a bump is what will also cause it to rattle around that's where the sounds coming from

Find some pictures of a t case inside and you will understand how it works. I would look at the trans mount if you have some rattling around that area.

Reactions: Nicholas
It's very easy to get carried away! I'm trying to balance fixes around the house with modding the TJ, so that's always fun.
Don't get me started on this one. My wife likes to spring projects on me, out of the blue. She always starts with "So, I was thinking...." I know I'm in for it at that point.

My lift is quickly turning into new fencing for my backyard...but more than the money is the TIME...I have limited time to do "stuff" and the house projects take all my time away from the "fun" projects.

Don't get me started on this one. My wife likes to spring projects on me, out of the blue. She always starts with "So, I was thinking...." I know I'm in for it at that point.

My lift is quickly turning into new fencing for my backyard...but more than the money is the TIME...I have limited time to do "stuff" and the house projects take all my time away from the "fun" projects.

Ahhh, I know what you mean. My wife has me remodeling the bathroom, putting up a new fence in the yard, and after that it's new windows. It never ends!

I guess the good thing is that I already have most of everything I need done to my TJ. But yes, these "projects" definitely take away the time I could be spending doing fun stuff.

Find some pictures of a t case inside and you will understand how it works. I would look at the trans mount if you have some rattling around that area.

Yea I've been looking at a bunch of picture but I don't fully understand so I need to look even more. Anyone out here in Tampa that can take a quick peek at it?

Man I need to replace my chain can somebody here that knows about replacing it help me out? Been making a clonking noise at 20 and below speeds and when first accelerating and turning some and going over bumps and Ik it's the chain bc I did a lot of research and others had the same exact sound and found it was that but I'm thinking if I buy the chain and just do the whole take the case off and slip it on with a bunch of hardware itl fix it is it that simple ?

Have you checked to see if there is still something loose on your front end or a control arm?