NP231 speedo gear issue

Akitadog

Willy's Edition
Supporting Member
Pulled my Speedometer gear and discovered it is in bad shape.
Will have to get a new one.

Any idea what might cause this? My speedometer worked fine never any indication this was going on.

20220620_125202.jpg

20220620_125208.jpg

The speedometer gear housing was probable not rotated far enough so the speedometer gear was fully/completely engaged with the steel pinion gear under it.

Reactions: hear
Hmm, makes me wonder now how it was installed. I just pulled it figuring it's a no brainer to install again.
Shouldn't be a 39 tooth anyway?

Yes 39 tooth is correct for 35's and 4.88.

But he still needs to know which way to clock it, doesn't he? I've never changed the gear, but I've had the assembly out before and I'm pretty sure you can clock it the wrong way when you put it back in. Or maybe it's obvious if you mis-clock it?

But he still needs to know which way to clock it, doesn't he? I've never changed the gear, but I've had the assembly out before and I'm pretty sure you can clock it the wrong way when you put it back in. Or maybe it's obvious if you mis-clock it?

Yes you have to turn it based on the tooth gear and yes you can still screw it up because that's what I did and it was throwing codes and acting funny until I adjusted it again.