NP231J input shaft—AX15 vs NSG370

The trans is in and it shifts amazing. The shifter still has slop. I think I might try the B&M shifter in a few months, buy My YouTube series is updated with a test drive. Let me know if you have any questions....

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Sorry, I missed this!

no worries. It occurred to me yesterday that once I have the shifter bracket off (to swap my Savvy cable over to the LJ) I'm only 4 more nuts away from having the case all the way out, so having the information ahead of time wouldn't have saved me 10 minutes. And having to pull the case to see the input might actually save me time if I do have to swap the inputs since I'll be faster doing it on a bench than under the rigs anyway.

Glad you're happy with the rebuild (other than the shifter anyway)!

transfer case is out.
IMG_20201213_214138.jpg

As I suspected based on some of the video screenshots above, the splines are on a larger section of the output shaft, adjacent to a smaller section between the splines and the output shaft seal. The smaller section is equal to or smaller than the minor diameter of the splines, so even if the NP231J input gear is longer than the splines, they won't hit a hard stop like they would on an AX15.

The output seal measures 2-3/8" (+/- 1/32") from the mounting flange, which should be enough for the 2.1" long input gear on my SYE'd 231, though I would have loved if the difference was big enough to be obvious without all the straightedge and caliper stuff I had to pull to get an accurate measurement of the output seal depth.

Is there a PDF or some type of rebuild guide for a 241J?? I have the parts on order and was going to do a new video of a rebuild but cant find the source material... Thanks

transfer case is out. View attachment 210323

As I suspected based on some of the video screenshots above, the splines are on a larger section of the output shaft, adjacent to a smaller section between the splines and the output shaft seal. The smaller section is equal to or smaller than the minor diameter of the splines, so even if the NP231J input gear is longer than the splines, they won't hit a hard stop like they would on an AX15.

The output seal measures 2-3/8" (+/- 1/32") from the mounting flange, which should be enough for the 2.1" long input gear on my SYE'd 231, though I would have loved if the difference was big enough to be obvious without all the straightedge and caliper stuff I had to pull to get an accurate measurement of the output seal depth.
So what was the final outcome here? Did the long out put shaft work with your NSG370 transmission? I have the identical situation going on and I want to be sure.
thanks

So what was the final outcome here? Did the long out put shaft work with your NSG370 transmission? I have the identical situation going on and I want to be sure.
thanks

Mounted up and driving it since around early February I think. Haven't seen any reason for concern yet.

man
Mounted up and driving it since around early February I think. Haven't seen any reason for concern yet.
Many thanks 🍻 That Novak chart really got it wrong, and had me thinking I was going crazy. Now I feel at ease putting the long input shaft transfer case in my NSG370 (that I thought was supposed to be long input this whole time! )

Reactions: freedom_in_4low