NP241 Chain Replacement Difficulty?

Wls1996

Hey everyone. So I have a 2006 Rubicon with 65,000 miles and I have some clunking when I release the clutch in gear rapidly. Seems to be due to a stretched chain and the slack being tightened quickly. I can't see the entire thing needing to be rebuilt with such low miles, so my question is how difficult a job would it be to replace only the chain? Can I keep the T-case in the truck and just take the back off? id consider myself to be a backyard mechanic at best, but it seems like a simple enough job. I will try to attach a video that gives a good sound of the clunk.

2006 Rubicon
6 speed
65,000 miles

I doubt it is your chain. Check u-joints and everything else before going to your t-case. To do the chain you will need to pull case, and do it externally. Eliminate all other factors before jumping into the t-case. It should not be worn at 65K.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Are you in 4 low? I have similar noises and it's called "gear lash". More pronounced with 4:1 and a manual transmission. The manual doesn't have a torque converter.
It happens in all ranges (2H, 4H, 4L) I pulled the rear shaft and it still happened, pulled the front shaft and it also still happened, which makes me think it’s internal to tcase

Hard for me to believe the chain would stretch, the chain and planetary is massive.

PXL_20201108_233241475.jpg

PXL_20201108_222608214.jpg

PXL_20201110_160116742.jpg

Reactions: Daryl
many thanks, friend.
Deleted, had issue earlier today, #$#%@# thing blocks the url to Jeep Forum, What the #$%@. Been here 10 min trying to make link work after saving. :unsure: You can right click on your link, copy 'Link location' and paste in search bar or search Google and it will take you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP. What I'd suggest and before tearing anything apart is buy a cheap camera phone endoscope/boroscope and stick it in the drain plug opening to inspect the chain.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTHWK4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you feel it needs replacement, I'd suggest pulling it from the vehicle and bench service. There's only a half dozen bolts holding the transfer case to the tail end of the transmission.

Last edited:
To the OP. What I'd suggest and before tearing anything apart is buy a cheap camera phone endoscope/boroscope and stick it in the drain plug to inspect the chain.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTHWK4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you feel it needs replacement, I'd suggest pulling it from the vehicle and bench service. There's only a half dozen bolts holding the transfer case to the tail end of the transmission.
great idea, never thought about that! yeah since it happens with either driveshaft removed I just assumed the clunk was slack getting taken up really quickly. when I shift smoothly it doesn't happen at all, only abrupt throttle/clutch movements.

Those cheap boroscope's have come in handy... Cylinder wall inspection, that infamous 10mm socket drop stuck somewhere inaccessible, to name a few.