NP242 swap into TJ: "shift linkage" mods needed (using cable system)

Coachgeo

TJ Enthusiast
some good other threads on installing a NP242 yet they are long and contain lot of info.... enough to get convoluted.... thus starting thread specific to the linkage (aimed toward cable style)

Here is the best so far that have been able to find about mods using a cable designed for 231 & 242 along with TJ parts only.

https://comancheclub.com/topic/36155-novak-shift-cable-on-np-242/
what have ya'll done using TJ parts and cable? What would you do different now that been using it? Myself Ive only got TJ parts to work with.

this is sort of a supplement to below thread which has pretty good shifter discussion on this (pgs 2-3) yet it leaned mostly to getting parts from other rigs... not an option in my case and likely others would prefer to not keep spending more and more to complete this swap.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/np242-transfer-case-swap.29855

Last edited:
this is the cable I have from B&M. originally was going to put it on my 231 before I even knew 242's existed. Just had not gotten to it yet. Box does actually say it is for 231 AND 242. No instructions included/ Amazon reviews say one has to either mod one of the brackets or grind off a nub on case that bracket interferes with. Both doable. The next issue is modifying the TJ shifter plate orr**?? (plate mod discussed in Comanche forum linked in above thread

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09LMTQ6SS/?tag=wranglerorg-20
** read the late thoughts about other option.... the last paragraph below pictures in the Comanche thread mentioning above. He adds thought that maybe just lengthening the shift rod should avoid any need to mod the shift plate.

Anyone have a thought on that.. like maybe cut rod and thread it.. use threaded coupler between pieces to make length adjustable?

or maybe cut the plate as he did further and tack on a nut on each end so one could put adjustable stop bolts there? hmmm?

Last edited:
well call me stupid.... apparently the shifter is not a shaft... but concept does not change. lengthen the arm

Image not mine- grabbed from Motortrend Novak article

015-jeep-novak-conversions-transfer-case-cable-shifter-np231-tj-wrangler.png

Last edited:
on the floor... the plate.... why is there the physical stops there on the shifter plate in the cab.... do they assist the detent stop in the T-case... or is it to help operator feel when to "stop" so they dont roll past the detent while shifting on the fly orrr???

View attachment 478823

novak-4.jpg

on the floor... the plate.... why is there the physical stops there on the shifter plate in the cab.... do they assist the detent stop in the T-case... or is it to help operator feel when to "stop" so they dont roll past the detent while shifting on the fly orrr???

View attachment 478823

View attachment 479219

From this discussion and from talking to others who did the 242 swap you'll be better off to get a XJ 242 shifter plate.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/np242-transfer-case-swap.29855/post-496143

From this discussion and from talking to others who did the 242 swap you'll be better off to get a XJ 242 shifter plate.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/np242-transfer-case-swap.29855/post-496143

yeah mentioned in first post that there was good discussions on this in the 2cnd & 3rd page of that thread. Unfortunately not in the cards in my situation. so looking with how to deal with what I got. Hence this thread and the link to an alternative solution. Compromises in this low buck garage life.

Am leaning toward lengthening the thingamabob arm at end of shifter that the cable or OEM-linkage attaches too as suggested in the Comanche forum thread posted earlier. Presently; thought is to trim that arm . weld a threaded rod to remainder.. take portion cut off, with hole the cable attaches too, and weld it to a spacer. With nut above/below this; slid onto threaded rod. That gives you adjustable location up and down the rod to attach cable/linkage. That adjustment should let you dial in just the right throw without needing to extend the cab plates glide path.

that leaves determining what; if anything, to then do to plate in the cab the shifter glides thru. I need to understand glide path and that stop/tongue (for lack of better words) to consider mods. Seems that only need to mod the stop point/tongue; I think, in conjunction with using longer throw mod described above

Last edited:
If you can't find a XJ shifter plate then you might have to clearance the shifter stops on the plate.
As far as I know the stops help the detents in the t-case. You'll have to play with the plate & cable until you can get it adjusted "Just Right".

Bummer that I gave all the ones I had to the person who bought my daughters old TJ.

Reactions: Coachgeo
If you can't find a XJ shifter plate then you might have to clearance the shifter stops on the plate.
As far as I know the stops help the detents in the t-case. You'll have to play with the plate & cable until you can get it adjusted "Just Right".

Bummer that I gave all the ones I had to the person who bought my daughters old TJ.

thanks... that helps me understand. (it helps detents). My thought was cut the stop/tongue's off and create a slots to install them where needed. Could move them along the modded in slots till find optimal place for each. Adjustable end to the shift rod described above should take care of issue of the glide path in the plate needing modded.... leaving only the stop/tongue to contend with.

On the XJ w/242 what T-case mode is the stops/tongues intended to help assist the detent to hold things in place?? 4wd and 4wd Low orrrrrr ??

Last edited:
thanks... that helps me understand. (it helps detents). My thought was cut the stop tongue off and create a slot to install a sliding stop/tongue I can move till find optimal place for it. Adjustable end to the shift rod described above should take care of issue of the glide path in the plate needing modded.... leaving only the stop/tongue to contend with.

what T-case drive type is the stop/tongue intended to help assist the the detent with holding in gear?? 4wd orrr 4wd Low orrrrrr ??

It's not for holding the gear as such as a indicator that you shifted into each range selected.
From the discussion I had with the person I bought the 242 off that had it in his TJ was the added length of shifter throw. It's about like those who add the 2LO to their t-case.
You're adding a additional shifter position.

2-HI
4AWD
N
4-HI
4LO
So you need a little more room for the throw of the shifter.

I wouldn't make any modifications until you are under the Jeep and can see what needs to happen.

It's not for holding the gear as such as a indicator that you shifted into each range selected.
So you need a little more room for the throw of the shifter.

I wouldn't make any modifications until you are under the Jeep and can see what needs to happen.
Good point on wait to watch.... though lengthening the shifters throw is a given no matter what, so doing that in an adjustable way might as well get done. Can't see it needing more than an inch range of adjust-ability below OEM hole in arm- so can start with that and trim off excess threaded rod if lot less.

Where to put the stops??.... different story.... for sure a wait and see thing, as you suggest. Was suspicious that stops were more about giving driver the "feel" of when was in one or two of the modes. Honestly didn't occur to me it was to feel all modes till you mentioned it. duhhhhh.. Never said I was smart. Coming from field of Bio-mechanics this makes perfect since to me. Likely stops do though also assist the holding of things in a mode eventually, as things wear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildman
Good point on wait to watch.... though lengthening the shifters throw is a given no matter what, so doing that in an adjustable way might as well get done. Can't see it needing more than an inch range of adjust-ability below OEM hole in arm- so can start with that and trim off excess threaded rod if lot less.

Where to put the stops??.... different story.... for sure a wait and see thing, as you suggest. Was suspicious that stops were more about giving driver the "feel" of when was in one or two of the modes. Honestly didn't occur to me it was to feel all modes till you mentioned it. duhhhhh.. Never said I was smart. Coming from field of Bio-mechanics this makes perfect since to me. Likely stops do though also assist the holding of things in a mode eventually, as things wear.

I'd guess that it's less than a inch of travel. After having to make a custom shifter arm for my transmission I can tell you it doesn't take much. You just have to find the correct amount of throw of the shifter arm compared to the t-case shifter lever.

I'd guess that it's less than a inch of travel. After having to make a custom shifter arm for my transmission I can tell you it doesn't take much. You just have to find the correct amount of throw of the shifter arm compared to the t-case shifter lever.

just to clarify.... am speaking of lengthening the arm that is on end of the shift lever... not the one on the tcase.. is that what you are referring too as well?

just to clarify.... am speaking of lengthening the arm that is on end of the shift lever... not the one on the tcase.. is that what you are referring too as well?

Yes, but you may just be able to change the slot in the plate or the bracket where the cable mounts to get enough throw.
If you can measure the 242 shifter lever and the 231 lever you might be able to determine what you will need.
The person I bought my 242 from said he was able to get his setup with a cable shifter. But I don't remember what he said he had to do.

Here is some information I didn't know.

What is the difference between NP231 and NP242?

The 231 has less torque. The reason is that the 242 uses 6 pinion gears in the planetary for low range and the 231 has only 3. Additionally the 242 has a 1.25" wide chain for the front yoke while the 231 chain is 1.00". The last number indicates the type of inter axle differential if any.

Here is some information I didn't know.

ive gotten conflicting info on that. DId some counting of planets gears in photos and the Jeep ones have only 3 gears. The parts list 1" chains. Am thinking the larger chain is confused with the heavy duty 242's that also have the 6 planets. What turned me on to going to the 6 planet was from below video.. even though its about his 231 doubler

ive gotten conflicting info on that. DId some counting of planets gears in photos and the Jeep ones have only 3 gears. The parts list 1" chains. Am thinking the larger chain is confused with the heavy duty 242's that also have the 6 planets. What turned me on to going to the 6 planet was from below video.. even though its about his 231 doubler

It'll be interesting to see what you have when you crack open the case.

Regarding the cable shifters... it's funny you mention it because when I bought my np242 for swapping into my jeep I wanted to plan ahead with a cable shifter in case I got a lift at some point in the future.

I spoke to someone through the novak service line because they had both an np231 and an np242 cable shifter kit for sale, but I wasn't sure which to use. when I spoke to them, they told me I could use the np231 shifter... didn't get an explanation but I'm guessing your b&m cable shifter should also work with the np242 transfer case.

Last edited:
Regarding the cable shifters... it's funny you mention it because when I bought my np242 for swapping into my jeep I wanted to plan ahead with a cable shifter in case I got a lift at some point in the future.

I spoke to someone through the novak service line because they had both an np231 and an np242 cable shifter kit for sale, but I wasn't sure which to use. when I spoke to them, they told me I could use the np231 shifter... didn't get an explanation but I'm guessing your b&m cable shifter should also work with the np242 transfer case.

B&M prints right on the box that the shift cable is for 231 or 242. Though has no instructions at all.

you could probably find a copy of the instructions online

Well slap ma-selv upsyde da heyed.. read numerous complaints they ship with out instructions and it didn't occur to me their might be online to save some tree's -n- ink.

thanks. found them.

Attachments

• B&M_T-cseCbl_81184_instrctns.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: tagunz and Wildman