NP242 Transfer Case Swap?

this 421 is off a Wj (NP242J) and has an Rzeppa front joint. Will pull that and install the one off my NP231J to mate with my previous driveshaft.

whoops got my grand cherokees mixed up.

this transfer case is gonna be a real testament to new venture/new process interchangeable parts haha.

you can also find the shifter assembly from dead jeeps for around $30-40.

I really liked the 242 in our Diesel KJ, so I've got a 242 from an XJ sourced which should have the correct speedo output for in the TJ/LJ. I'm still in the gathering pieces phase for a winter project. Will I need any driveshaft changes? I have a non-Rubi LJ with the 231 in it.

I think your transmission should be the first concern.

Also, do you have a lift? What year is it?

assume you're speaking too @JP_in_STL

JP- Well that is cool and good to know that the diesel KJ had the 242.

BTW-knowing 242 year is and what it came out off, will likely help you back track what transmission input gear is in the front side of the particular 242 you have. if you have too you should be able to disassemble the 231 and take out it's trans input and put in the 242.. if your rig is an automatic and the 242 came from one too.. your odds are better things mate up.

Last edited:
whoops got my grand cherokees mixed up.

this transfer case is gonna be a real testament to new venture/new process interchangeable parts haha.

you can also find the shifter assembly from dead jeeps for around $30-40.

I miss typed... mines is NOT a 421.. it is a 242. . talked to dead jeeps... they said nope.. and so did local places. Ebay is 3 times that ....... hence original thoughts of hack-it

I really liked the 242 in our Diesel KJ, so I've got a 242 from an XJ sourced which should have the correct speedo output for in the TJ/LJ. I'm still in the gathering pieces phase for a winter project. Will I need any driveshaft changes? I have a non-Rubi LJ with the 231 in it.

I've got an '06 LJ with the 6spd NSG370 and 140K on it. Looking at Novak specs the NSG370 has a 23spline input. The NP242 I'm getting is from a '00 XJ with an AW4 which should also be a 23spline input. The XJ Cherokee had the same style speedo output/gears so should drive the speedo in the LJ. I'm sitting with a unknown creaky 4in lift on 32s that needs new shocks. I'm going to drop down to 2.5in -3in springs and some Rancho 5000x

I've got a noisy throw out bearing so the tranny needs dropped to look at the clutch. Thought I might swap in a 242 over the Winter if its a $500 swap. I found the 242 for $200 and a rebuild kit is about the same. But if I've got to change driveshafts and inputs and it all adds up to over $1K then I've got other things to spend Jeep $$$ on.

I've got an '06 LJ with the 6spd NSG370 and 140K on it. Looking at Novak specs the NSG370 has a 23spline input. The NP242 I'm getting is from a '00 XJ with an AW4 which should also be a 23spline input. The XJ Cherokee had the same style speedo output/gears so should drive the speedo in the LJ. I'm sitting with a unknown creaky 4in lift on 32s that needs new shocks. I'm going to drop down to 2.5in -3in springs and some Rancho 5000x

I've got a noisy throw out bearing so the tranny needs dropped to look at the clutch. Thought I might swap in a 242 over the Winter if its a $500 swap. I found the 242 for $200 and a rebuild kit is about the same. But if I've got to change driveshafts and inputs and it all adds up to over $1K then I've got other things to spend Jeep $$$ on.

length of the female splined section of input gear that slips onto trans of most any T-case in NP's line up, will be different between auto and standard. T-case's that mate to standards, the female section is longer.. not a direct swap.

If you're going planning on a rebuild of the np242 anyways, you could swap the input shaft from your np231 to make it match you nsg370.

You could even sell your np231 to a XJ guy who needs a medium input spline afterwards and make a couple bucks back.

Tearing the 242 down for refresh/swap trans input gear and also to a 6 gear planetary low instead of the 3. Got lucky and local Autozone had a rental blind hole bearing puller so will have less issues pulling those.

Been watching videos.... seems everyone gives up on drill and use bolt extractor to do the pin removal from the T-case's Mode clutch system.... appears most end up prying the shift plates apart to slip past the roller guide.

Anyone else have another way they have seen??

...Got lucky and local Autozone had a rental blind hole bearing puller so will have less issues pulling those....

well the Autozone blind hole bearing puller is mostly worthless for this project. It can potentially pull only one of the smaller inner bearing (one in the trans input shaft gear combination).... which appears to be able to be knocked out from opposite side anyway.. Not perfectly recalling that. Would have worked but the included pullers are all just not matching with needed sizes.

Sad tale for now though.... have to stop moving forward on this 242 project till maybe this summer, because the Input gear I bought to is same as the one in the 242 that came off an automatic- aka: short input gear. Apparently the one I bought with plan to not having to tear apart my 231; was from a 231 mated to an auto trans as well. Don't want to take it apart so I can sell it.

Hard to measure the input shaft differences when a shaft is from a disassembled T-case and that is how I fubared on buying the one that ended up too short. So myself and the seller of that shaft were both wrong on it being a long one. Now In know better. "Measure the inner spline depth". I should have done that from the get go... Never said I was not stupid. Anyway- The long trans input shaft that is on my 231 basically measurse a total spline depth of 2 something inches on inside of the shaft.... where the one for the automatics only measures 1 something inch.

Sooooooo if anyone is going from 5speed to automatic (23 spline) with narrow bearing (16mm?) then I got one for sale.

will put my 231 back in for now instead of pulling its shaft and just dont have time even if I didnt want to sell it. Also putting an engine in and hooking it all back up.. need this Jeep up and running by Jan. 2.

Last edited:

Been watching videos.... seems everyone gives up on drill and use bolt extractor to do the pin removal from the T-case's Mode clutch system.... appears most end up prying the shift plates apart to slip past the roller guide.

Anyone else have another way they have seen??

well it worked out this way just fine. You need to rotate the mode shift plate inside case till higher up pin is rolled to furthest end of its slot toward side of case where the detent spring-n-cap would sit . Doing it at that spot minimizes the pry apart needed.... little pry.... little fork twist too.. this allowed pin to slip out of the slot very easy- took very litte effort to pull fork out after that.

Does anyone know how much bigger the 242 is than the 231? Would it fit with a Savvy transfer case skid?

Since Tom Woods lists the same SYE for XJ, ZJ and WJ 242s (except HD) does this open up more options since the SYE has the housing for the mechanical speedo gear? For instance the WJ or even KJ (The KJs can be found pretty cheap)?

Does anyone know how much bigger the 242 is than the 231? Would it fit with a Savvy transfer case skid?

Since Tom Woods lists the same SYE for XJ, ZJ and WJ 242s (except HD) does this open up more options since the SYE has the housing for the mechanical speedo gear? For instance the WJ or even KJ (The KJs can be found pretty cheap)?

what measurement specifically are you asking for? You might get more replies with that asked.

what measurement specifically are you asking for? You might get more replies with that asked.

Thanks! Height is really what will determine if it will fit with the tummy tuck. Also curious about length difference just to see how much impact it will have on driveshaft length.

To answer one of my own questions, the KJ has a 32 spline output, so if you want to use the TW SYE that one is out.

Thanks! Height is really what will determine if it will fit with the tummy tuck. Also curious about length difference just to see how much impact it will have on driveshaft length.

again.. unless someone has a 231 and 242 side by side can't really answer that unless you give us something to measure their 242 from that is common between 231 and 242.... like say one of the bolts they mount to rear of trans..

length...... it is reported they are 1" longer to end of rear output shaft but that is an iffy measurment though likely not longer.

this might help. Have no read thru it

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/np231-vs-np242-mount-height-comparisons-207326/

not really.. you just have to change your driveshaft end to fit 32spline. You'ld have to price that out though to consider if that is obstacle or not

Agreed the KJ 242 could work, but it will not work with the Tom Woods Slip Yoke Eliminator as that will not work with a 32 spline output. There are other SYEs that will work with the 32 spline output, but if you want to use the mechanical speedo gear they will not work with that. When using an SYE you need a CV driveshaft, so there will be the additional cost of a new driveshaft anyway.

So, if you require an SYE, due to lift height or a raised transfer case and want to retain the transfer case mounted speedo sensor then the KJ is not an option, at least not without an unreasonable amount of work that would easily be avoided by using a 242 from a different donor vehicle..

Reactions: Coachgeo