Nutcerts

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
How do you deal with loose nutserts? Put my new fender flares on today and I have one nutsert that is loose. Luckily the back side is accessible so it should be easy to put a pair of small vice grips on it and tighten the bolt down, but if one is loose eventually there are gonna be more.

Last edited:
How do you deal with loose nutcerts? Put my new fender flares on today and I have one nutcert that is loose. Luckily the back side is accessible so it should be easy to put a pair of small vice grips on it and tighten the bolt down, but if one is loose eventually there are gonna be more.
If you have one that is loose, make a setting tool with a bolt and nut and set it tighter.

Thanks @mrblaine . OK, so get a regular nut to fit on the right sized bolt, thread the bolt through the nutsert, put the nut on and crank down on it? That seems pretty simple. I'm guessing that the nutsert crimps on the front side and not the back?

Edited to add: Wrong on all accounts.

Last edited:
Thanks @mrblaine . OK, so get a regular nut to fit on the right sized bolt, thread the bolt through the nutcert, put the nut on and crank down on it? That seems pretty simple. I'm guessing that the nutcert crimps on the front side and not the back?
No, the nut has to be just slightly larger so the bolt will turn inside it. Put the nut on the bolt with a washer first. Hold the nut with a wrench, turn the bolt and it will compress the nutsert tighter. If that doesn't stop the spinning, then it is time to drill it out and replace it.

Nutsert set like pop rivets in that they set from one side in a blind hole. There are instructions with pictures on our website for the ones in the frame.