NV 241OR Rubicon RocTrac transfer case swap into non-Rubicon TJ

More updates. After doing some measuring after the dry fitting to make sure the 241 and 241 input and output shafts would work I noticed that on a 32RH the output shaft seal is too far into the transmission and 241 shaft isn’t long enough to even touch it. After a quick message to @mrblaine and @Irun I’m back in business with a seal extension from Teraflex.

If anyone is doing this swap with the 32RH you will need Teraflex part number 2904400.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/52254_107.htm

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
More updates. After doing some measuring after the dry fitting to make sure the 241 and 241 input and output shafts would work I noticed that on a 32RH the output shaft seal is too far into the transmission and 241 shaft isn’t long enough to even touch it. After a quick message to @mrblaine and @Irun I’m back in business with a seal extension from Teraflex.

If anyone is doing this swap with the 32RH you will need Teraflex part number 2904400.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/52254_107.htm
that's how I run mine as well, if you get a chance take a look at the extension and see if the seal on the extension can be replaced or it is some kindof funky one piece.

Back when i ordered mine I had one of those double click double order scenarios and I've been holding onto the extra extension in case they went away, If i could verify the seal can be replaced in the extension with the same seal as factory I could pass along the extension to somebody who needs one.

that's how I run mine as well, if you get a chance take a look at the extension and see if the seal on the extension can be replaced or it is some kindof funky one piece.

Back when i ordered mine I had one of those double click double order scenarios and I've been holding onto the extra extension in case they went away, If i could verify the seal can be replaced in the extension with the same seal as factory I could pass along the extension to somebody who needs one.
For sure the Teraflex seal can be replaced, it even uses the OEM size so you don’t have to fight it later if it needs changed.

Reactions: Bigmac
I finally got mine in, just waiting for my rear DS from Tom Woods.
I took a measurement of the front yoke, comparing the stock 231 and 241 with the yoke I posted earlier.
The 231 U-joint centerline was 1 3/8" aft, relative to the mating surface at the front of the case/rear of the transmission.
The 241 was 1 9/16". That extra 3/16 of dimension is helpful, since most of us have some lift.

C0BCC7EC-2607-439B-9CC2-AC08823E5B06.jpeg

B0743354-A63A-4B71-BCF0-17AA26FBF15B.jpeg

I'm also advance planning to make a skid for a tuck, so I spaced my trans mount. That way I get an accurate rear DS measurement but I'm not pressed for time to make the skid. I can also get my pinions right in advance.
I have a 1" body lift and a 1" motor mount spacer. My estimate came up with 2" to get the t-case close to the floor. If you want to go higher, you can ball peen the floor on the driver side, but you will also run out of room at the firewall pinch weld seam. I'm not super hardcore, so the 2" will be good for me.
I used 2x3 rectangle tube out of the scrap pile at work.

0C0A2FF8-5CC3-4D1C-8873-906E9E5B35FD.jpeg

1CE32385-A476-493D-ADA5-9B23D98E19C7.jpeg

F5CF6838-9163-48FB-B57F-03C5E2632450.jpeg

I'm also advance planning to make a skid for a tuck, so I spaced my trans mount. That way I get an accurate rear DS measurement but I'm not pressed for time to make the skid. I can also get my pinions right in advance.
I have a 1" body lift and a 1" motor mount spacer. My estimate came up with 2" to get the t-case close to the floor. If you want to go higher, you can ball peen the floor on the driver side, but you will also run out of room at the firewall pinch weld seam. I'm not super hardcore, so the 2" will be good for me.
I used 2x3 rectangle tube out of the scrap pile at work.

View attachment 327462

View attachment 327463

View attachment 327464
Something to keep in mind for others too is that the transmission makes a pretty big difference in the clearance AND the length. An AX15 is a fair bit longer than a 32RH for example.

Last edited:
There's another speedometer recalibration option that I'll be trying. It's the SpeedoDRD. It has good reviews, and after I get mine in I'll update with how it works.
I got it in, and it works fine. The instructions are ok, just read thru it and follow their example on how to set it. There's also a YT video out there.

@mrblaine or any others that know.

About to do this swap. Have 2005 non rubicon 6 speed LJ. Swapping in a transfer case from a 2005 LJ. I think it is tagged 241J, I haven’t received it yet.

I read this thread, lots of great info, thanks to all contributors.

My question is will the Savvy tummy tuck fit this combo? I think so, it makes logical sense, but I’m wondering if anyone can confirm? I know it fits the non-Rubicon case in a non-Rubicon, or a Rubicon case and a Rubicon, but will it fit a Rubicon case in a non-Rubicon? I plan to use the savvy 241 to 231 cable shifter as well, in addition to of course the required body lift.

About to do this swap. Have 2005 non rubicon 6 speed LJ. Swapping in a transfer case from a 2005 Rubicon. I think it is tagged 241J, I haven’t received it yet.

My question is will the Savvy tummy tuck fit this combo? I think so, it makes logical sense, but I’m wondering if anyone can confirm? I know it fits the non-Rubicon case in a non-Rubicon, or a Rubicon case in a Rubicon, but will it fit a Rubicon case in a non-Rubicon? I plan to use the savvy 241 to 231 cable shifter as well, in addition to of course the required body lift.

A large part of the reason that I went this route (rather than various other gear lowering options) is so I can use the savvy tummy tuck.

Thanks

About to do this swap. Have 2005 non rubicon 6 speed LJ. Swapping in a transfer case from a 2005 Rubicon. I think it is tagged 241J, I haven’t received it yet.

My question is will the Savvy tummy tuck fit this combo? I think so, it makes logical sense, but I’m wondering if anyone can confirm? I know it fits the non-Rubicon case in a non-Rubicon, or a Rubicon case in a Rubicon, but will it fit a Rubicon case in a non-Rubicon? I plan to use the savvy 241 to 231 cable shifter as well, in addition to of course the required body lift.

A large part of the reason that I went this route (rather than various other gear lowering options) is so I can use the savvy tummy tuck.

Thanks
yes

Can you make a Rock Trac 241 from a JK work in a TJ?

Folks have said they have done it. When I ask how they picked up the speedo sender signal at the rear output, I don't get a clear answer. Converting the JK case to have the rear sender housing is typically not cost effective even if you can find the parts.

Reactions: Claytone
Folks have said they have done it. When I ask how they picked up the speedo sender signal at the rear output, I don't get a clear answer. Converting the JK case to have the rear sender housing is typically not cost effective even if you can find the parts.

Thanks mrblaine. Seems like I see more JK t cases for sale for a reasonable price than I do TJ t cases.

Thanks mrblaine. Seems like I see more JK t cases for sale for a reasonable price than I do TJ t cases.

That is because they are hard to make work in the TJ. If they weren't, the TJ 241 would be half the price it is due to the market being able to supply everyone with the JK take-outs.

it'd be pretty cool if somebody like JB conversions or advance adapters stepped in with a kit to add a speed sensor.

it'd be pretty cool if somebody like JB conversions or advance adapters stepped in with a kit to add a speed sensor.

Not really. The parts list is pretty long and expensive since it requires a new rear bearing and sender housing, tone ring, tone ring capable main shaft, and rear case half. By the time they put that in a box, it would be 1500 bucks easily.

Not really. The parts list is pretty long and expensive since it requires a new rear bearing and sender housing, tone ring, tone ring capable main shaft, and rear case half. By the time they put that in a box, it would be 1500 bucks easily.

I was picturing something more like a $200-300 SYE for a 231 but if they can't make it work with the existing rear half then that pretty much ruins it.