NV3550 5-speed manual owners: How do use you 5th gear?

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Do you guys just use it in the highway as an overdrive , or whenever you can?

Freeway only. having the metric equivalent of 31 inch tires with 3.73 gears means I'm running too low of RPMs in 5th gear unless I'm on the freeway or rolling downhill. I like to keep my cruising RPMs around 2500 so that often means I'm in 4th on any road that has a stop light and 5th on the Freeway.

I only use 5th on the highway at speeds above 55 mph and try to keep my RPM's at all times around 2500 RPM. Around town and for most use I never get into 5th gear.

Highway where its flat. Living at 8150 feet already puts me at a disadvantage. 33s with factory rubi gears. When I move to 5.13 I'm sure my drive habits will adapt.

They will. I drive past you fairly often with my 4.88s pushing 33s. I have very little trouble keeping up with traffic, even on the climb to the tunnels.

4.88 w/ 35s. I use 5th quite often whether it's around town or on the highway.

I'll add that I use 5th like any other gear. I don't think of it as an overdrive. It's just the gear that is appropriate at that time. 75mph is 3k rpm and I do that on a regular basis.
I'm surprised you can find a stretch of road that allows you up to 75 without dodging holes.