NV3550 5-speed manual owners: How do use you 5th gear?

4.88's and 36's. 5th on hiway. 4th usually on back roads, but mainly because I'm in the foothills and have +/-500ft elevation change in any given stretch of a 5 mile drive where I am

Usually anytime I get over 50-55 mph. 31s and 4.56.

35s and 4.88s - I use 5th when I hit about 60mph. 4th is my fave. I'm in it once I hit a little more than 35mph. With my tire and gear ratio combo 4th is the most versatile.

Reactions: AndyG
I think I’m driving similar to everyone that is geared for their tire size ....5th any time I can pull it , and always on the highway.

Not as often as I would hope. I geared for 33's and then switched to 35's. 4.56 and 35's means that my 5th is nearly always too high for the speeds I drive. After driving on this setup for a few months, I've figured I would prefer 4.88 or even better 5.13.

Not as often as I would hope. I geared for 33's and then switched to 35's. 4.56 and 35's means that my 5th is nearly always too high for the speeds I drive. After driving on this setup for a few months, I've figured I would prefer 4.88 or even better 5.13.
I’d agree , I have 4:56 with 33’s, and I would not want 35’s with them . I think the common advice to gear to the higher number if in doubt is solid advice.

Reactions: jazngab
I use fifth gear the same as I use 1-4. I shift into it when I am done with 4th and out of it when slowing down or losing power. On the road I do not even think about or notice shifting, it is an automatic response like breathing. When off road in the sand I am usually in second gear and I do think about shifting at that time as the terrain changes.

Reactions: Hunter Rich