NV3550 and ChatGPT

Sputter

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I thought I had solved my NV3550 transmission issues by swapping out the fluid with Redline. After taking it on a robust drive with highway driving, it became apparent that was not the case. In additon to grinding at downshifting, it also became hard to shift into some gears. Looks like I will be replacing the transmission. I know people suggest going to the AX15 but I'm not keeping the Jeep and a comparable NV3550 can be had for ~$1200.

Interestingly, I asked ChatGPT what might be the cause. Here is a summary of my Q & A:

Me: i have a nv3550 transmission. when it gets to normal operating temperature, it becomes difficult to shift into gears. Additionally, it sometimes grinds when downshifting. I have confirmed that the fluid levels are correct. What could be the cause of my issues?

ChatGPT: There could be several reasons for the difficulty in shifting gears and grinding noises in your NV3550 transmission, even with the correct fluid levels. Some potential causes include:
  1. Worn or damaged synchronizers: Synchronizers help the gears mesh smoothly when shifting. If they are worn or damaged, it can cause difficulty in shifting and grinding noises, especially when downshifting.
  2. Clutch issues: If your clutch is not disengaging properly, it could make shifting difficult. This might be caused by a worn clutch disc, pressure plate, or problems with the clutch master/slave cylinder.
  3. Gear wear or damage: Worn or damaged gears can cause difficulty in shifting and grinding noises. Regular inspection and maintenance can help prevent excessive wear.
  4. Worn or damaged shift forks: Shift forks are responsible for moving the gears during shifts. If they are worn or damaged, it can cause difficulty in shifting and gear grinding.
  5. Transmission fluid: Although you have confirmed the fluid levels are correct, the fluid itself could be degraded or the wrong type for your transmission. This can cause poor performance and shifting difficulties. Make sure you are using the correct transmission fluid for your NV3550.
  6. Misaligned transmission: If the transmission is misaligned with the engine, it can cause shifting difficulties and grinding noises. This can be due to worn or damaged transmission mounts or improper installation.
To diagnose the exact cause of your transmission issues, it is recommended that you have a qualified mechanic inspect your vehicle. They can identify the problem and recommend the appropriate repairs to get your transmission working smoothly again.

Me: What is the most likely cause?

ChatGPT: Based on the symptoms you've described, the most likely cause of the difficulty in shifting gears and grinding noises when downshifting is worn or damaged synchronizers. Synchronizers play a crucial role in helping the gears mesh smoothly when shifting. When they wear out or get damaged, shifting can become difficult, and grinding noises may occur, especially when downshifting.

However, it is still essential to have a qualified mechanic inspect your vehicle to determine the exact cause of your transmission issues, as other factors could also be contributing to the problem.

• Wow
Reactions: sideproject
Yeah and I could have kept going deeper if I knew what questions to ask. This thing is crazy how much it knows. I've had it help me diagnose error codes with my BMW and it was dead on.

• Wow
Reactions: RangerTJ
Skynet is here, and not above lying to you.

133.jpg

I don't see that as scary. It didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know, or couldn't readily find online with a basic search engine. Basically, all the chatbot did was speed up the search process and layout the results in an orderly fashion. It's useful, but not yet scary or impressive.

Now if it had asked to drive the vehicle or even just listen to it running and diagnosed the issue with the above, well then I'd be worried.

I don't see that as scary. It didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know, or couldn't readily find online with a basic search engine. Basically, all the chatbot did was speed up the search process and layout the results in an orderly fashion. It's useful, but not yet scary or impressive.

Now if it had asked to drive the vehicle or even just listen to it running and diagnosed the issue with the above, well then I'd be worried.

I agree - it is more like a research assistant at this point. But think about why people come to these forums. A lot of people come here to get information and they have to sort the bad info from the good info. If they could instead just go to a chatbot and get an accurate answer, why go to a forum?

Reactions: BlueC
I agree - it is more like a research assistant at this point. But think about why people come to these forums. A lot of people come here to get information and they have to sort the bad info from the good info. If they could instead just go to a chatbot and get an accurate answer, why go to a forum?

For the kind members and the camaraderie.

it would really be interesting to see what we would get if @Chris could set up an account for it, and it could respond to threads and @ mentions. Even better, don't tell us it's ChatGPT and see if any of us can tell.

I have no idea what the technical feasibility of this is. Just that it would be interesting.

it would really be interesting to see what we would get if @Chris could set up an account for it, and it could respond to threads and @ mentions. Even better, don't tell us it's ChatGPT and see if any of us can tell.

"My third TJ had that lift"

"My future LJ will have a mid-arm and V8"

- ChatGPT

I have no idea what the technical feasibility of this is. Just that it would be interesting.

Most softwares are embedding ChatGPT into their platforms. My company, for example, is adding into our help center to allow customers to quickly find what they need as well as help them create new content in the system since we are a communication platform.

If they could instead just go to a chatbot and get an accurate answer, why go to a forum?

Now that's scary. With the rise of social media and smartphones, we've seen the degradation of social interactions and our society in general over the last 15-20 years. It's sad, and something like AI as we currently know it seems like it will only make the bad worse. There are obviously good things that come from stuff like AI, but I'm afraid the cost paid by society will be much worse and not worth it in the end.

The biggest problem with AI is it's programmed by people with an obvious slant. So something as simple as the same biology that's driven the world for millions of years is ignored. While technical information can be accurate. AI will be programmed to filter.

is it programmed like that though, or is that just what it picks up by learning everything it knows from the internet?

I haven't interacted with it yet, but I've heard all manner of stuff, like it can pass the bar exam, etc. I went to try it out just because of this thread but it prompted me to sign in or open an account and not a chance am I going to give any personal identifying information to the entity that's probably going to put the final nail in the coffin of human civilization. And yes, I'm aware of the hole in my logic because I exist electronically in enough places that it could find me anyway, but still.

Reactions: Mike_H and BlueC
The biggest problem with AI is it's programmed by people with an obvious slant.

is it programmed like that though, or is that just what it picks up by learning everything it knows from the internet?

That's what I see as the biggest, glaring issue with AI.

If it learns from the internet, theboogieman is screwed. :LOL: (I didn't summon him, he’ll find his way here on his own.)

I haven't interacted with it yet, but I've heard all manner of stuff, like it can pass the bar exam, etc.

FWIW, Chat GPT currently fails miserably at Tax Law.

It's unable to prioritize and apply the varying authorities in play (codes, regs, cases, IRS blessings & denials) to the varying facts and circumstances. And this is before determining the accuracy and truthfulness of the facts. It will be interesting to see how things develop.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I recently created an account with one of the free AIs. It certainly does help with some day-to-day tasks and questions that can come up here at work. Though I've stumped it a few times and had to tell it a certain CFR code to help it explain something further to me.

Reactions: MikeE024