NV3550 having problems: Am I better off sourcing an AX-15?

RJPen

So my NV3550 is grinding bad going into 2nd for both upshifting and downshifting unless I shift it while barely moving at basically idle.

The wrecking yards around me don't have any TJ's. When I asked if they had any 2000+ Cherokees with an NV3550 they said yes but were adamant that it wouldn't fit in my TJ. That doesn't make sense to me since the Cherokee is also a 4.0 and I think it even uses the same transfer case.

Am I better off sourcing and swapping in an AX15? I've never changed a transmission before but I'm quite mechanically inclined. Or would that be too big of a job for a newbie with basic tools?

I’ve been down this very road. 2nd gear grinding and all.
NV3550 is junk and impossible to find parts for. I swapped in a brand new AX15 from Advanced Adapters. Direct bolt in.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I’ve been down this very road. 2nd gear grinding and all.
NV3550 is junk and impossible to find parts for. I swapped in a brand new AX15 from Advanced Adapters. Direct bolt in.
Put me in this category as well... my NV3550 wouldn't stay in 5th, and started grinding and all, swapped in a brand new AX15 from Advanced Adapters. Direct bolt in.

Reactions: strumble8
Is it worth it if I found the drain plug caked in metsl shavings already? When I changed the fluid to the Royal Purple there was a lit of metal on the magnet.
Definitely wont make it worse. My nv3550 shifts really great actually but it's been cared for its entire life and has had mtl in it since I've owned it.

Is it worth it if I found the drain plug caked in metsl shavings already? When I changed the fluid to the Royal Purple there was a lit of metal on the magnet.
Same here. But two years on it's fine. Even if your tranny IS bad and you try this, the worst you can expect from it is to be out the cost of the MTL.

Am I better off sourcing and swapping in an AX15?

Yes, yes, and YES again!

The AX-15 is a very common replacement for the NV3550 as they are much more easily available. Advanced Adapters and many others sell brand new AX-15s for $1500 or so. The NV3550 isn't a bad transmission, it's just that it's much harder to come by, more expensive, and parts are harder to source.

Do yourself and swap in an AX-15 (as many in your same position have) and you'll be better off.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Yes, yes, and YES again!

The AX-15 is a very common replacement for the NV3550 as they are much more easily available. Advanced Adapters and many others sell brand new AX-15s for $1500 or so. The NV3550 isn't a bad transmission, it's just that it's much harder to come by, more expensive, and parts are harder to source.

Do yourself and swap in an AX-15 (as many in your same position have) and you'll be better off.
While I have my NV3550 shifting smoothly, I suspect the bearings and or components are worn. I doubt it was ever babied by the previous owner. I was going to rebuild it, perhaps it will be easier to get a junkyard AX-15. Would you use/recommend Red Line in the AX-15?

What is the difference between Redline 50204 and 50205? My '06 is clunking in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Will the Redline help that? And which product # is correct for the 6 speed NSG370?

While I have my NV3550 shifting smoothly, I suspect the bearings and or components are worn. I doubt it was ever babied by the previous owner. I was going to rebuild it, perhaps it will be easier to get a junkyard AX-15. Would you use/recommend Red Line in the AX-15?

Yes, Redline for sure!