NV3550 making lots of really bad noises

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
I’m currently sitting in a parking lot afraid to move this jeep- it started making a noise in second and third under load, suspected a manifold crack- and then it got real loud real fast and something happened- it starts making a bad sound from the drive train and has a “catch” as the tires rotate-I just coasted off the parkway and turned off the engine. I tried driving a little bit but it does not need to be driven.

I’m waiting on a buddy with a jack to evaluate -

It could be anything from e brake shoes coming apart to the rear diff, axle or transmission-

I’m leaning toward transmission because it is smooth coasting.

Lockers work and don’t seem to matter with the symptom.

Question- what are my best options to repair or replace this transmission if it has detonated? I’m up or any thing that is good long term, and love automatics.

It has 65,000 miles.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: TJ Starting
Be sure to check the transfer case as well. If that gives up the ghost it will be very loud.

A blown u-joint on a driveshaft will also make a LOT of noise once it destructs, and it typically goes from a little squeak to a very loud noise in quite a short time. It will likely be very obvious if you grab a driveshaft and give it a shake.

Fortunately, if it's a blown u-joint, you can simply remove the offending driveshaft and keep driving. (If you remove the rear, slip the transfer case into 4WD).

Reactions: Tob
I’m currently sitting in a parking lot afraid to move this jeep- it started making a noise in second and third under load, suspected a manifold crack- and then it got real loud real fast and something happened- it starts making a bad sound from the drive train and has a “catch” as the tires rotate-I just coasting off the parkway and turned off the engine. I tried driving a little bit but it does not need to be driven.

I’m waiting on a buddy with a jack to evaluate -

It could be anything from e brake shoes coming apart to the rear diff, axle or transmission-

I’m leaning toward transmission because it is smooth coasting.

Lockers work and don’t seem to matter with the symptom.

Question- what are my best options to repair or replace this transmission if it has detonated? I’m up or any thing that is good long term, and love automatics.

It has 65,000 miles.
Hey check Huntsville Craigslist. There is a five speed tranny, transfer case, engine out of a Cherokee for $600. It also says take any other parts you want along. You’ve gotta pull it, but seems like a sweet deal. Maybe too good?

Reactions: AndyG
Be sure to check the transfer case as well. If that gives up the ghost it will be very loud.

A blown u-joint on a driveshaft will also make a LOT of noise once it destructs, and it typically goes from a little squeak to a very loud noise in quite a short time. It will likely be very obvious if you grab a driveshaft and give it a shake.

Fortunately, if it's a blown u-joint, you can simply remove the offending driveshaft and keep driving. (If you remove the rear, slip the transfer case into 4WD).
Right now we know It is either the rear diff or transmission- we are all over it.

Hey check Huntsville Craigslist. There is a five speed tranny, transfer case, engine out of a Cherokee for $600. It also says take any other parts you want along. You’ve gotta pull it, but seems like a sweet deal. Maybe too good?
Well right now I’m just trying to find out what transmissions will interface with the 241 transfer case and know what direction to go -I’m all for a bargain but really just want durability.

@Mr Blaine, any ideas

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Jim
Well right now I’m just trying to find out what transmissions will interface with the 241 transfer case and know what direction to go -I’m all for a bargain but really just want durability.

@Mr Blaine, any ideas
42RLE is about it, I think, from an Auto perspective. I believe the AX-15 and NV3550 share the same output, so that is a pretty direct swap. AX-15 is easier to come by, less expensive but you give up a little bit of low range (first gear is 4:1 in the NV3550, 3.83 for the AX-15). Probably not enough to matter, but its something.

Reactions: TJ Starting and D M
Transmission shows no sign of damage in fluid.

But.....my 17 year old took it one night without permission- and here we are. Dumping the clutch on asphalt causes this. I know I have never dogged it, not once.

These Yukon Gears have 40,000 miles and were professionally done, have been flawless.

20B9D2C2-39C1-4695-8EF4-FB6099BF2164.jpeg

The beginning of the aftermath-

B0683C6C-D855-4A58-B7C8-2ED65CB28C95.jpeg

I have a problem with this a Jeep with 65,000 miles and gears this new being on this roll back. There is no good reason for this. It was flawless gear work until it got taken for a joy ride.

Transmission shows no sign of damage in fluid.

But.....my 17 year old took it one night without permission- and here we are. Dumping the clutch on asphalt causes this. I know I have never dogged it, not once.

These Yukon Gears have 40,000 miles and were professionally done, have been flawless.

View attachment 281449
I wouldn't go blaming your son at this point. Yes kids do stupid shit as we were all kids once.
But, if he broke a tooth off the ring gear side stepping the clutch, the noise would have been immediate.