NV3550 transmission jumps out of 1st gear

Tasims

Have a 2000 jeep TJ Sahara 4 liter 6 with the NV3550 5 speed with stock 31" wheels. With first so low and the spread between 1st and 2nd so short i typically start in 2nd gear. Very notchy and if not seated in 2nd it will pop out quickly.
Is there a mod t hff at can be done to solve this.....like fingernails on a chaulk board when it happens

Your transmission may be in need of a rebuild. Either that or you have a body lift which caused things to shift.

A bit more info....Royal Purple Synchromax oil, rebuild with clutch at 131,000 few years ago. Currently has 154,800 miles, shifted smooth for a while. It does have a 2" body lift, witch it had when i bought it.
I will check center council an see if something is holding things back there..... if i cant figure it out and its looks like a bad re build 23,000 miles ago thinking of just getting a new AX 15 and doing a swap..long term is possibly leaving the 2" body, adding a 2" suspension lift and going with 33" wheels. No extreme off roading planned, just tow behind RV and play a bit in the Mountains

Mine had the same thing with second gear, I removed my transfer case skid drop and it helped a lot. I think a body lift does the same thing to the shifter as the transfer case drop so that would be my guess. I'm probably installing a body lift soon so sadly it will probably go back to how it was.

That and fear of breaking the bolts makes me nervous about doing the body lift

Reactions: IrishWake
Remove your console and lower boot then go drive it and see if it still acts up. I was having similar issues after the body lift and the transfer drop. The angles get all screwed up. I installed a short throw shifter with an indexing collar and the problem went away.

20210309_161422.jpg

Remove your console and lower boot then go drive it and see if it still acts up. I was having similar issues after the body lift and the transfer drop. The angles get all screwed up. I installed a short throw shifter with an indexing collar and the problem went away.

View attachment 246342
Hey, where'd you get this? I looks way better than my cut and welded piece.

Hey, where'd you get this? I looks way better than my cut and welded piece.
I made it. I couldn't find a shifter I liked and there was no one selling an indexable lever so I drew up a shifter and the indexing lever and made it.