NV3550 transmission rebuild

robo512

I am in need of a rebuild on my NV3550. The synchros are definitely worn out after 160k of abuse. Has anyone ever done the rebuild themselves? If so, did you buy a rebuild kit? What brand parts do you reccommend? I have seen a few options including crown automotive, allstate gear, and a few on ebay that I assume are no-name. Before anyone says it, I do not want to "just buy a new ax-15" which I have seen a lot of on other forum threads. I'd rather refresh the good trans that I have without breaking the bank.

Not sure where I read this online recently, but there are reputable transmission rebuilders that have rebuilt NV3550 for sale; you could probably trade your transmission in as a core....

Not sure where I read this online recently, but there are reputable transmission rebuilders that have rebuilt NV3550 for sale; you could probably trade your transmission in as a core....
I'd prefer to save the money and do it myself. I've also always wanted to tear into a manual transmission myself. Maybe I'll consider calling around asking what brand parts they use. I have read that the OEM manufacturer of the 3550 is no longer in business so that makes finding good parts difficult.

• USA Proud
Reactions: hear
Thank you, I did read that thread. It doesn't really give much info about rebuilds, just buying refurbished or swapping to an AX-15.
Have you figured out what specialty tools you will need? do you own those now? are you interested in owning them? look at the big picture

• USA Proud
Reactions: CharlesHS
Have you figured out what specialty tools you will need? do you own those now? are you interested in owning them? look at the big picture
Good point, I have the rebuild manual and I just read through it again. I need an assembly fixture which I found on ebay for a $320. I should have or be able to make everything else I need. I think a little over $500 to do it myself definitely beats $1000+ to buy one re-manned

Reactions: P man
I just bought reman'd 3550 at High Gear in Memphis, TN a few months ago and just passed 2k miles with no issues for $1,250.

Customer service was great and the owner walked me around the shop when I picked it up. They actually test these transmissions in a TJ that's sitting in the shop before they send them out, which I thought was cool.

I was thinking about rebuilding it myself but the cost savings and down time of working through it myself didn't justify it for me. They had my tranny ready in less than a week...

Reactions: TJ Starting
How did you make out with this? I'd appreciate any info you can throw my way as I'm condodeding doing the same thing myself