NV3550 with a 2nd gear grind. Why should I consider AX15 as a replacement?

My 2000 TJ is at the tranny shop for a 3550 to AX15 swap. The 3550 died when a 3rd gear hard part broke (loud bang!). There is nothing but aftermarket parts for them since NVG closed. New transmission and rebuilt 231 (with slip yoke eliminator) from Novak. Note that the AX15 can use the same transmission mount as the 3550, but uses different threads in the housing - Novak AX15 threads are 7/16x14. The Novak shifter is a long straight stick, so I went with the B&M Sport Shifter, which is designed for the TJ and uses the same knob threads. Bought a new Crown knob and Mopar shift pattern insert. Drilled and tapped one corner of the B&M base 1/8x28 BSP for an ARB breather fitting, to be plumbed to the ARB breather already installed for the transfer case. The Savvy 231 cable shifter will swap over, as will the speedo gear. Have to extend the harness for the reverse lights from the driver side switch on the 3550 to the pax side on the AX15. Will fill the new AX15 with Red Line MT-90 (Red Line MTL greatly extended the life of my 3550).

After installation, we'll measure from the 231 yoke to the rear Dana 44 yoke, top and bottom, and send those measurements to Tom Wood's for a double cardan rear driveshaft. As they advised me, we will then use my adjustable Currie control arms to rotate the rear pumpkin up to make the pinion line up with the shaft.

Since this area will be opened, I also bought a LuK clutch, with National throw out bearing. The flywheel has 207K miles on it and we'll keep it if it looks good. As a backup, I got a LuK flywheel and new bolts - this LuK is advertised to have the correct domed engagement surface for the TJ. I threw in new lower and upper shift boots, too.

Got the Jeep back Saturday and have put 20 miles on it after dealing with what's likely water in the fuel tank after a sit of nearly four months. There'll be a learning curve for the B&M shifter on the new AX15, a bit more reach to the knob and a very tight shift pattern. Shifts are noticeably smoother after only 20 miles. I came here to report on the LuK clutch and flywheel with National throw out bearing. Absolutely brilliant, utterly smooth engagement, better than when the TJ was new. Unqualified success.

Also, I proactively replaced the tranny mount, the Mopar version of which appears to be gone. Found most website descriptions of TJ tranny mounts to be quite careless in distinguishing between manual and auto transmissions. I gambled on the Anchor 2882, $22 from Amazon, and it also worked beautifully, no vibes or noise. Jeep is quieter than before.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Got the Jeep back Saturday and have put 20 miles on it after dealing with what's likely water in the fuel tank after a sit of nearly four months. There'll be a learning curve for the B&M shifter on the new AX15, a bit more reach to the knob and a very tight shift pattern. Shifts are noticeably smoother after only 20 miles. I came here to report on the LuK clutch and flywheel with National throw out bearing. Absolutely brilliant, utterly smooth engagement, better than when the TJ was new. Unqualified success.

Also, I proactively replaced the tranny mount, the Mopar version of which appears to be gone. Found most website descriptions of TJ tranny mounts to be quite careless in distinguishing between manual and auto transmissions. I gambled on the Anchor 2882, $22 from Amazon, and it also worked beautifully, no vibes or noise. Jeep is quieter than before.

Good move. 👍 Awesome to read that it worked out.

Swapping in an AX-15 was one of the best 'mods' I did for my 2001. I would actually call it an upgrade. And I too I almost did the B&M short shifter but just settled w the stock one. Least for now.

Cheers.

Good move. 👍 Awesome to read that it worked out.

Swapping in an AX-15 was one of the best 'mods' I did for my 2001. I would actually call it an upgrade. And I too I almost did the B&M short shifter but just settled w the stock one. Least for now.

Cheers.

Is your stock shifter one from an ex TJ installation or is it a new one like the cloud reaching straight stick I got from Novak? A Photo would be nice.

My shop had used the B&M cue ball shift knob, which simply screws onto the stick. I put on the Crown copy of the Mopar knob and had fun forcing the Mopar shift pattern plate into place. It's held in by an annular flange that fits into what looks like a circlip groove in the hole atop the knob. Tight, had to apply a bit of silicone grease.

Is your stock shifter one from an ex TJ installation or is it a new one like the cloud reaching straight stick I got from Novak? A Photo would be nice.

My shop had used the B&M cue ball shift knob, which simply screws onto the stick. I put on the Crown copy of the Mopar knob and had fun forcing the Mopar shift pattern plate into place. It's held in by an annular flange that fits into what looks like a circlip groove in the hole atop the knob. Tight, had to apply a bit of silicone grease.

It's a lot easier with a heat gun.

I had the Novak one, cut a few inches off and welded a bolt onto the end matching the original Mopar m10x1.5 threads.

Im not exactly sure what shifter it is other than the stock one that came with my 2001. Im out of town at the moment but when I get back home I'll post a photo.