O2 sensor problem?

fl14fm1

Hello everyone, new here and relatively new to Jeeps. I have a 2006 Wrangler X that for now is still stock. On Saturday I got code p0153 for o2 sensor 2/1 and replaced it. Disconnected battery to clear the code. Drove the next day and CEL came back with p0157 for 2/2. A little while later the CEL went out but back back a day later with p0153 (again) and p0157. . One other thing is that my gas mileage was crap but after replacing 2/1 it is back to normal. Right now it is running fine. I did use a NKT brand sensor and am thinking that replacing sensor 2/2 will resolve it. ANy ideas?

Funny you bring this up. @Jerry Bransford was just mentioning the other day that once upon a time, he had a similar issue with his. He was getting the O2 sensor codes, replaced them with the correct O2 sensors, but the codes kept coming back.

What it ended up being was failing pre-cats. That being said, it may be that your pre-cats are failing as well (not uncommon) and you need to replace them.

@Jerry Bransford can chime in and tell me if I got any of that story wrong, but this is definitely something to consider, especially given the age of the vehicle, and how many miles might be on it.

If you need to replace your pre-cats, I suggest the Walker brand:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AGP864/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those are the ones for a 2004-2006 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 engine. That's what I used when I replaced mine.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Funny you bring this up. @Jerry Bransford was just mentioning the other day that once upon a time, he had a similar issue with his. He was getting the O2 sensor codes, replaced them with the correct O2 sensors, but the codes kept coming back.

What it ended up being was failing pre-cats. That being said, it may be that your pre-cats are failing as well (not uncommon) and you need to replace them.

@Jerry Bransford can chime in and tell me if I got any of that story wrong, but this is definitely something to consider, especially given the age of the vehicle, and how many miles might be on it.

If you need to replace your pre-cats, I suggest the Walker brand:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AGP864/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Those are the ones for a 2004-2006 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0 engine. That's what I used when I replaced mine.
You got what I said right Chris, thanks.

Reactions: Chris