OBDII Scanner Options

CNYJeeper

Supporting Member
The last threads I read about a couple OBD scanners were dated around 3 years ago.

Anyone care to share what OBD scanners they currently use and pros/cons??

I picked up the Innova 5410 from O'Reillys a few weeks back and I'm happy with it. The menu is easy to navigate and the screen clarity is very good. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

OBD Fusion is what I use. With it you can use a Bluetooth or Wi-Fi dongle. The only serious use I’ve needed it for was to monitor my o2 sensors which it did good on. I was able to record the sensor readings and get feedback from the folks on here. I had a b2s1 heater circuit fault. I could reset the fault but when the temps get down in the twenties it’d come back. I use it on an iPhone but I’m thinking they have an android version too. Don’t think it reads tranny codes or abs codes but not sure of that. You can monitor all the other systems while driving around. Works for me.

Right off, I am not an expert on OBD.
I do have a "centech" Harbor freight scanner it was inexpensive, and it has (what I thought) was doing a good job reading codes, clearing them etc. It is easy to use and looks to cover all the things I thought I would need.
There is a thread in "off topic" where Jerry was having a problem getting his Daily driver smogged. I at the same time was having issues as well. I ended up taking my truck back to Ford and their scanner(computer) found codes that my scanner never detected. If I had a better scanner ( I am thinking) I could have eliminated a trip to the Ford dealership. Probably would have gone a long way in buying the best one available.... maybe it doesn't work that way, maybe you have to have a vehicle brand specific scanner I don't know, but I do know you want a scanner much better than the one I have.

$5 Torque Pro app on my Samsung with a $27 ELM 327 OBII dongle. I can use it on my F150, my wifes KL, and my TJ. I can watch live data for any troubleshooting, read and clear DTCs, find elevations, mileage, intake temps, timing, you name it and its available to monitor.

If you want one to work with a laptop via USB, I like my OBDlink SX ($40) with their free OBDwiz software (for Windoze). Info available here and you can buy one on Amazon.

Reactions: 707kevin
My father in law had a Harbor Freight device, not sure of the model. I bought an Innova 3100RS for my 2018 F150, I'm happy with it. I haven't tried it on the TJ yet, I figure it'll work fine. I'm thinking you'd have to use newer ones with newer model vehicles, it's not like they get updated in the toolbox. It never occurred to me to leave it connected while driving... I will try the older one too and see if they show different results, I'll post here what I see.

My father in law had a Harbor Freight device, not sure of the model. I bought an Innova 3100RS for my 2018 F150, I'm happy with it. I haven't tried it on the TJ yet, I figure it'll work fine. I'm thinking you'd have to use newer ones with newer model vehicles, it's not like they get updated in the toolbox. It never occurred to me to leave it connected while driving... I will try the older one too and see if they show different results, I'll post here what I see.
★【WHAT YOU GET】KONNWEI KW850 OBDII check engine light code reader offers free storage case, life-time FREE software update service to fix the latest bugs or add newly features which makes it compatible to more vehicles in future

$5 Torque Pro app on my Samsung with a $27 ELM 327 OBII dongle. I can use it on my F150, my wifes KL, and my TJ. I can watch live data for any troubleshooting, read and clear DTCs, find elevations, mileage, intake temps, timing, you name it and its available to monitor.
X2 on Torque Pro and an ELM327 device. I also use the Dash Command app which has a really nice interface that I can use as a digital dash.

Reactions: tworley
In picked up an Innova 3100 a few years back. Still works good.
Even has a lighted plug.

416dMTTVi+L._AC_.jpg

X2 on Torque Pro and an ELM327 device. I also use the Dash Command app which has a really nice interface that I can use as a digital dash.

Interested in this set up as I have an old Samsung tablet I can dedicate to it. Watched this video and Torque Pro seems impressive...

Having watched this I wondered what Dash Command adds?

Interested in this set up as I have an old Samsung tablet I can dedicate to it. Watched this video and Torque Pro seems impressive...

Having watched this I wondered what Dash Command adds?

It's basically the same but dash command has much nicer visuals.

Reactions: UKTJ
I have a ODBLink LX that I use almost every day with my phone via bluetooth and it works great for me.
There are cheaper - butthey tend to not be as reliable on the bluetooth side or as fast to update & connect.

It will work with any of the ELM327 compatible software like torque, it has it's own software available that works well too.
It uses a STN1110 chip, but is elm327 compatible.

Is the Torque Pro app Android only? Can’t seem to find it in the Apple App Store…

Torque pro started giving me real fits. I do believe it's only for Android. I had better luck with dashcommand though. With that said I don't use either anymore because I just bought a pretty nice handheld reader.

Reactions: MikekiM