Occasional hard start

zip04

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Every now and then (about once every 20 or so starts), the key feels hard to turn as I start it. It starts but sounds like crap, I turn it off and then it fires right up as normal and sounds great.

As a side note, this happened before and after swapping out new spark plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every now and then (about once every 20 or so starts), the key feels hard to turn as I start it. It starts but sounds like crap, I turn it off and then it fires right up as normal and sounds great.

As a side note, this happened before and after swapping out new spark plugs.

Hmm, what spark plugs did you use?

What do you mean 'it sounds like crap'? Engine missing? And the ignition switch actually feels physically hard to turn?

Yes, it feels difficult to turn the ignition switch. I don't know what an engine sounds like when it is missing. My best explanation is that it sounds real "gritty." However, I turn it off and back on and then if fired up normal.

The first time I noticed it, when it was sounding gritty and was hard to turn the ignition, the radio had no power, etc. until I turned the ignition off and back on.

Well, the hard to turn the switch issue is likely just the ignition switch having gone bad. It's not hard to replace. Hard to say on the gritty engine sound without being there to hear the engine as it starts. That's a new engine sound description for me lol.

Well, the hard to turn the switch issue is likely just the ignition switch having gone bad. It's not hard to replace. Hard to say on the gritty engine sound without being there to hear the engine as it starts. That's a new engine sound description for me lol.

lol, it's only when the ignition is difficult to turn so I figured they were related.

I agree that it sounds like the ignition switch being hard to turn (on occasion) sounds like a separate issue, but is likely an ignition switch going bad.

As for the hard starts, does it sound like it's misfiring?

I don't know. Sounds like less power and real crackled or gritty. Also, the electronics don't work when it does that. I don't leave it running long enough to getting a more accurate description. I've replaced the starter and the spark plugs since these issues started (not because of this issue). It is rare, but annoying.

Difficult to turn key sounds like either worn ignition lock cylinder tumblers or the electronic ignition switch itself is sticking or binding. As for the "gritty" engine cranking, I dunno. But start with inspecting the lock cylinder and electrical ignition switch.