Occasional loss of power

Chasitek

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I have been experiencing an occasional loss of power. I guess I would call it more of a loss in acceleration. When my jeep is completely warmed up and i've been driving for a bit, it sometimes takes FOREVER to accelerate and yes I know jeeps aren't supposed to accelerate quickly but it's just inconsistent acceleration. Sometimes it accelerates fine and sometimes not. (has nothing to do with uphill downhill, assume i'm always talking about a level surface) Also, sometimes on the highway, it won't go past 60mph on level ground and sometimes it'll go 75. It's a 97 2.5L with a 4.0 throttle body and 2.5L throttle body spacer with no bore. (yes i know it doesn't increase power) I just like the more sensitive throttle response. I just replaced the spark plug wires, spark plugs were replaced just a few months ago, cleaned the distributor contact points. Engine has 250k miles but I just did a compression test and 3 cylinders had 175psi and one had 190psi so no problems there. I have a small exhaust leak at the manifold collector. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Also if I push the accelerator pedal to the floor, it actually loses acceleration but if I hold the pedal slightly above the floor it holds its power. What's that about? Thanks in advance for any help.

If increasing the throttle decreases power, my first guess would be incorrect fuel/air mixture, or wacky timing. Perhaps the exhaust leak is messing with the computer and oxygen sensors?

Also, what RPM range is it bogging down in?

Last edited:
Nope, No codes of any kind. I really just notice it after driving around a bit when it's warmer out and since it's been nice out lately, i've noticed it a lot more. I do have a mechanical oil gauge and sometimes when fully warmed up, idle psi is 40 and sometimes it's 60. It fluctuates a lot. I'll get some definite readings and report back but I do know it's inconsistent as well. Also, sometimes when i'm losing speed on the highway, I push the clutch in and re-engage 5th gear and it accelerates again. Maybe clutch related?

Hi guys. New member here. You might want to try replacing your throttle body sensor. Fairly inexpensive part. My 2004 would lose throttle when I tried to accelerate and this fixed my problem.

Hi guys. New member here. You might want to try replacing your throttle body sensor. Fairly inexpensive part. My 2004 would lose throttle when I tried to accelerate and this fixed my problem.

Thanks. I’ll try that. Cross your fingers for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No engine codes stored or pending?
Nope, No codes of any kind. I really just notice it after driving around a bit when it's warmer out and since it's been nice out lately, i've noticed it a lot more. I do have a mechanical oil gauge and sometimes when fully warmed up, idle psi is 40 and sometimes it's 60. It fluctuates a lot. I'll get some definite readings and report back but I do know it's inconsistent as well. Also, sometimes when i'm losing speed on the highway, I push the clutch in and re-engage 5th gear and it accelerates again. Maybe clutch related?

Did you ever figure out what the problem was
Seems to have been an exhaust leak. Haven’t really been driving it much as I just got another car and I had to replace the cat on my jeep since the weld around it broke. It seems to be a lot better ever since i replaced it. The cat was only a year old though. Wasn’t clogged or anything.

i’m having issues making it to 60 mph and i just replaced plugs coil and injectors could this be the problem?

Hi guys, new here, had the exact same problem, i would lose power on the freeway around 60 mph, then it would catch after accelerating a little more, ended up being the crankshaft position sensor, saw it on another forum and changed it. 30 dollar fix, haven't had the issue since.

Reactions: Chasitek