Michigan October 2023 Keweenaw Peninsula Fall Color Ride + Lawn Mower Overlanding

toximus

I live in my Jeep
Supporting Member
To understand the inspiration behind this trip you need to watch this video first:

This is still in the early stages of planning and I'll continue to update this post as plans solidify.​

Anyone is welcome to join on this adventure! Post up here that you're coming so we can meet up and all ride together!

Tentative Dates: September 28 to October 1 2023.

Day 1:​

Copper Harbor to Keweenaw Rocket Range for everyone who wants to bring a mower. A stock SUV can do everything on this trail, but if we don't get it all done in a day we can go back again the next day in our Jeeps.

We could set a budget on the mowers to keep things fun.

1666219041199.png

Day 2​

A scenic day with Brockway Mountain, lighthouses, waterfalls, gift shops, and a Chedderwurst grill out. (@Mike_H can show us his spit shined mower 🎉)

1666219104136.png

Day 3​

Will be a Jeep day starting with a river crossing back into old mining roads on trails only locals know about up to big scenic overlooks.

1666219117197.png

There's lots of rustic camping, camp grounds, hotels, and excellent bed and breakfasts all within a few minutes of each other depending on what your style is. And scenic small towns to visit if your families want to come along but off roading isn't their thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: J.Pierce and Mike_H
back when my jeep was stock, we did the Mandan road from Bete Grise and Mount Bohemia to the Rocket Range.

1666219579373.png

Some falls in Lac La Belle

1666219647761.png

M26, somewhere near Eagle Harbor

1666219691849.png

If you've never experienced Michigan, and especially the UP, its worth the trip. Very rustic, quaint, quiet little towns, some monks live there, and the beer is cheap and freely flowing.

You know, if I bring my jeep along, I'd be real bummed if we didn't plan a trip to Mt Arvon in the Huron mountains and camp at the mouth of the Huron River...Little bit of a hike from Copper Harbor, but if we have enough time...

Reactions: toximus
I would be totally down for this! Was up in the keewenaw a few years ago for an overlanding trip, about the same time of year and had a great time.

We did the 7hr plane crash route starting in Watersmeet.

I would be willing to throw my John Deere 216 in for some abuse!!!

Reactions: Mike_H and toximus
FYI - KOAR is September 14-17th for anyone interested (I won't be there).

Day 1:​

Copper Harbor to Keweenaw Rocket Range for everyone who wants to bring a mower. A stock SUV can do everything on this trail, but if we don't get it all done in a day we can go back again the next day in our Jeeps.

We could set a budget on the mowers to keep things fun.

1666219041199.png

Live has changed significantly for me this year and I won't have a mower completed in time (or even started). I haven't heard of anyone else serious about doing this so I hope everyone is fine with that. But if somebody is serious lmk and maybe we can still make it happen somehow.

Regarding the Jeeping portion of this trip. I could very much be game and would probably set up camp in a campground with an area to hangout. September 28 to October 1 2023 could still work, but I'll at Overland Expo East that next weekend so if that week doesn't work it'd have to be later in the month.