October overlanding trip over Kebler Pass and through Marble to the Crystal Mill

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
I thought this was going to be an Autumn trip. But, it turns out that if you camp at 10,400' in October, it's actually a Winter trip.

02.jpg

We camped above Kebler Pass, west of Crested Butte.

03.jpg

It started snowing again right after we arrived.

04.jpg

It was very cold. This is my son doing a dance to keep his feet warm while he cooked our burgers.

05.jpg

This is shot from inside the camper the next morning. If I'm lucky (and I usually am) my son will get up first and make coffee while I sleep in. When he has my coffee ready I open the window and screen and he hands it in to me. Pretty great system, haha.

05b.jpg

Lake Irwin.

06.jpg

Papa.

07.jpg

Mama.

08.jpg

Junior.

09.jpg

It was cold, cloudy, snowy and foggy. And the aspens were well past their peak. But it was still incredibly beautiful.

10.jpg

11.jpg

The Crystal Mill. I believe this is the most photographed spot in Colorado, and you can see why.

12.jpg

Believe it or not, the best BBQ I've found anywhere in Colorado is in the tiny town of Marble.

13.jpg

Smoked brisket. No brainer.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Of course, had to stop for breakfast in Crested Butte on the way home.

16.jpg

This is called "The Haystack."

17.jpg

And it's always good to come home to the Sangre de Cristos at the end of my trips.

Last edited:
how passable is crystal mill in general? considered stopping to look it over but havent made it yet, maybe next summer. have read its somewhat difficult to access but ive also been on trails west of there that claimed rough but were nothing to worry about.

closest ive been was half-moon gulch which is a bit of a drive east and that wasn't too bad of a ride once you cross the creek. but is was also fenced off far enough away you couldn't really get up close enough to see it.
tempImageHw4HpT.jpg

Last edited:
how passable is crystal mill in general? considered stopping to look it over but havent made it yet, maybe next summer. have read its somewhat difficult to access but ive also been on trails west of there that claimed rough but were nothing to worry about.

closest ive been was half-moon gulch which is a bit of a drive east and that wasn't too bad of a ride once you cross the creek. but is was also fenced off far enough away you couldn't really get up close enough to see it.
View attachment 284006
Starting from the town of Marble, the drive is an easy 4 miles. I wanted to come from the other direction, over Schofield Pass, but the weather was too sketchy and I was alone.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
What an amazing trip. Every time I see that Mill, it's absolutely beautiful! :love:

Reactions: WLDRIDE
Beautiful pictures as always. I wish I was good about documenting my journeys. Here is the pic of the Moose I saw on Holy Cross City trail back in September. He was a big boy.

1110DF34-AD22-43AE-8F3F-E632DCE7C444.jpeg

ACEE304B-940B-4FAA-B655-64AFD2D0A108.jpeg

Reactions: WLDRIDE