Odd tire wear

mgroeger

TJ Enthusiast
OK, so this is not a TJ specific question and happens to be happening on my daughter's '99 XJ. You guys are very knowledgeable so I thought I'd float it here.
I rotate the tires regularly in a "rear straight up to front & criss cross front to rear" pattern. All tires are wearing evenly and yesterday I noticed the passenger side front is warn far more all the way across the tread compared to the driver's front. I didn't notice this discrepancy when I rotated them so I am assuming this is occurring within the last 3k miles.
Admittedly the tires do wear on the outer edges so it could use an alignment but this rapid wear caught me off guard. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Outer edge would be toe in. Even wear across the whole tire, only on that tire? Wheel bearing on the fritz maybe. Ball joints. Jack it up and check it out. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 and pull/push it. If it moves, ball joints. Grab at 3 and 9 and do the same thing. If it moves, wheel bearing.

Any extra weight on that side of the vehicle? Notice any pulling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Not to thread jack, but when I got my TJ all tires were worn unevenly- more wear on the inner (beveled from outside to inside). I suspect it was toe-out, which I have corrected, but what else might cause that? Thanks!

Not to thread jack, but when I got my TJ all tires were worn unevenly- more wear on the inner (beveled from outside to inside). I suspect it was toe-out, which I have corrected, but what else might cause that? Thanks!
Does it look like tire cupping? Mine was bad ball joint and blown old teraflex shock.

Does it look like tire cupping? Mine was bad ball joint and blown old teraflex shock.
It doesn't. You could put a straight edge on it and it would line up- more tire material on the outside, less on the inside. Strange... hopefully it was just the toe out. The inner is almost down to the tread wear marker, and the PO said he only had 10k on them. (K02's 33") Hopefully it was just the toe out issue causing it, not sure what else it could be.

One thing for OP I have seen peoples who have had their tires "rotated" and a shop missing one side or just never did the rotation and the customer thought they were having that done. And for Beach_vibes I have seen messed up suspension do that in all kinds of forms, but in my experience if both tires across the same axle show that same one sided shoulder wear it is an alignment issue.

One thing for OP I have seen peoples who have had their tires "rotated" and a shop missing one side or just never did the rotation and the customer thought they were having that done. And for Beach_vibes I have seen messed up suspension do that in all kinds of forms, but in my experience if both tires across the same axle show that same one sided shoulder wear it is an alignment issue.

Thanks for the info. I did the rotation myself, honestly I don't trust shops very much and use them only when I have to and even then I research the heck out of them until I find one I can trust.
I once had a guy at the dealership (Jeep under warranty, free oil changes, etc...) "rotate" my tires... counter clockwise. No joke, I wanted to smack him, wth. I talked to the service manager and siad I don't want him touching my Jeep. He said don't worry, after he forgot to tighten a customer's lug nuts he is no longer with us.

• Wow
Reactions: Krazycookie