OEM Fog Light Bracket (Hella 2004-2006)

Queticon

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
For those of you who broke the bracket on OEM fog lights thinking, "I'll just buy another bracket, they must have those" then realized "wtf, I have to buy the whole damn light???"

Years ago I designed a replacement bracket that could be 3D printed. I've had these brackets holding my lights on for the past 3 years. When tried to remove them, I discovered frozen bolts. I know. So rare! I thought, "well, I'll just break off the brackets and print new ones." To my surprise, I had to use a fairly substantial set of channel locks to snap that sucker off.

I was impressed with how long the thing lasted. A testament to the durability of ABS.

At the moment, I'm printing up a new set. This time in ASA (like ABS with some benefits against UV).

For anyone interested in doing the same, let me know and I'll point you where to get the files.

First image is for a KC light. Second is for the OEM HELLA light.

KC Light Bracket.jpg

OEM Hella bracket.jpg

Last edited:
I just replaced my foglights. And I didn't like how the new brackets looked. So I painted my old ones to match. And kept them on the new foglights. They actually fit better too. Glad I kept them now.

I like the factory setup. The adjustment screw is much better than depending on friction to hold them in place. Plus, the locating hole in line with the mounting screw keeps things straight. It's a good setup but thumbs down for not being able to buy bracket as a separate part.

KC light mounted

507d1a0f-507a-42c0-a731-82dbe7413fe5.jpg

OEM brackets in carbon fiber. I printed these in ASA as well, but that stuff shrinks so bad if you don't have a heated chamber. These carbon fiber brackets are pretty much indestructible.

bfd1ba0b-af49-46cb-b428-39ed72471e7c.jpg

Reactions: Chris and Neal
At the moment, I'm printing up a new set. This time in ASA (like ABS with some benefits against UV).

For anyone interested in doing the same, let me know and I'll point you where to get the files.
I just broke a Hella bracket in a garage mishap and was thinking about how to fab a replacement. Getting a set of brackets 3D printed might be an option.

Could I get a link to the files?

Print at medium to low resolution (.150 - .200). Print in ABS. Shouldn't cost more than around $20. I'd offer to do it, but I'm lazy when it comes to stuff that isn't mine. ;)

Reactions: fuse
Print at medium to low resolution (.150 - .200). Print in ABS. Shouldn't cost more than around $20. I'd offer to do it, but I'm lazy when it comes to stuff that isn't mine. ;)
Cool. I actually want to do this myself to get a better idea of the process and costs because I figure it might be something I would use for other things. It's been a long time since I did CAD work, but I could relearn those skills for the right project.

Awesome idea, thanks for sharing this! I had the same issue with mine and had to end up buying brand new OE lights!

I went ahead and ordered the 3D printed parts. Here's how it worked.

I downloaded the shape files (Thanks @Queticon!) and uploaded them to several 3D printing services to get quotes. When you upload the files, you get a 3D display of the part and then you can easily see which file is the right one to use.

Most of the online 3D printing services let you configure the print job and get a quote right away. You do have to sign up for the web sites and give them your e-mail address, which they will use to try to sell you things later.

Queticon suggested Xometry for printing, but I found that 3DHubs had better pricing and good turnaround time. They basically have a $35 minimum order, which is just about the cost of getting two brackets printed in ASA at 100% density.

ASA is basically like ABS but with better UV protection. It's only marginally more expensive, but printing the two brackets in ASA still came in just under the $35 minimum.

3DHubs had very clear updates on printing and shipping status once I ordered the parts. It took about a week for the parts to show up in the mail. They were very well packed. Here's what the 3D printed parts look like next to the original broken bracket.

IMG_20191030_102035.jpg

The 3D printed bracket is just slightly taller than the original. Not sure if you'd notice the difference from one end of the bumper to the other, but it might make sense to order a matching pair instead of ordering just one.

IMG_20191030_102153.jpg

The original bracket had a captive bolt with a square head. The 3D printed bracket has a hex socket that fits a 5/16" bolt. Where the original bracket had a plastic peg on the bottom for alignment, the 3D printed bracket has a hole that's just big enough for an M6 or 1/4" bolt to thread into the plastic. The plastic retainer on the original adjustment bolt snaps right into the hole on the back of the 3D printed bracket. Here's what it looks like with the hardware in place.

IMG_20191030_102724.jpg
IMG_20191030_102741.jpg

The 3D printed bracket is a very snug fit on the fog light. The original pivot bolt with the tamper-proof 5-point star head slides into the larger hole and threads into the smaller hole. You need something like this tool for the bolt head.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SOODHC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Here's what the complete assembly looks like. It looks sturdy enough, and it fits well.

IMG_20191030_103154.jpg
IMG_20191030_103620.jpg

I'd say this is a great option for anyone who needs to replace a broken OEM fog light bracket!

Nicely done!

3D hubs is a 'crowdshare' resource. I think I signed up as a vendor there years ago. Should probably check :)

If that adjuster bolt ever pulls out of the bracket, put a couple of drops of CA glue on the backside where the bolt comes through the bracket. It doesn't take much and it's easy enough to break out if you need to make another one.

Reactions: fuse
Nicely done!

3D hubs is a 'crowdshare' resource. I think I signed up as a vendor there years ago. Should probably check :)

If that adjuster bolt ever pulls out of the bracket, put a couple of drops of CA glue on the backside where the bolt comes through the bracket. It doesn't take much and it's easy enough to break out if you need to make another one.

I used 3Dhubs.com twice to have parts printed by a local with a printer. It appears they've changed business models and no longer use small, local operators. Is that true?

I just broke a Hella bracket in a garage mishap and was thinking about how to fab a replacement. Getting a set of brackets 3D printed might be an option.

Could I get a link to the files?
I just replaced my foglights. And I didn't like how the new brackets looked. So I painted my old ones to match. And kept them on the new foglights. They actually fit better too. Glad I kept them now.
How in the world did you guys get the OEM bolt out that attaches the lamp to the bracket? It has what I guess is a security "Torx Plus" T35 but it's also a 5-point star vs 6-point. I can't for the life of me locate a bit like that and I've scoured the web.

How in the world did you guys get the OEM bolt out that attaches the lamp to the bracket? It has what I guess is a security "Torx Plus" T35 but it's also a 5-point star vs 6-point. I can't for the life of me locate a bit like that and I've scoured the web.

Yes indeed, it's a weird 5-point, "tamper proof" screw. You can order the driver from Amazon or if you want it sooner, eBay. Remember those guys?

Reactions: Queticon