OEM Fogs - Changing to 'Selective Yellow'

BlueRidge304

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone tried using Daniel Stern's DIY 'Selective Yellow' method on the factory fog lights? His article suggests using Dupli-Color Metalcast Yellow. My fog lights lenses could use a nice refurbishing as they've oxidized over the years. I think while I have the lenses out, I'm going to try Stern's method. A hundred years ago when I first got into cars, I can remember old school fogs being yellow, not clear...and they actually helped in adverse weather conditions.

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5467.JPG

I'd be interested to see this if you do it. I've always had a thing for yellow fog lights. They look so good!

Fortunately on my Vortex fogs, it's as easy as putting new lens covers on (they make them in tons of colors).

I just looked it up, and I may paint the inside of my lens, so I don't need a clear coat. I think I would rather be seen in a famous Arizona dust storm than see. The spotters are rather useless in the dust, but I think the yellow might be easier seen by on coming traffic. And I surely wouldn't blind anybody.

@KMG those look awesome. Are they the KC halogens?
Thanks! Yes they're KC Slimlite 100W Halogens with amber protective lenses. The lens are being discontinued so not sure if they are still available. KC makes a smaller amber LED light too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried using Daniel Stern's DIY 'Selective Yellow' method on the factory fog lights? His article suggests using Dupli-Color Metalcast Yellow. My fog lights lenses could use a nice refurbishing as they've oxidized over the years. I think while I have the lenses out, I'm going to try Stern's method. A hundred years ago when I first got into cars, I can remember old school fogs being yellow, not clear...and they actually helped in adverse weather conditions.

View attachment 50428
View attachment 50429
They look so good they should change the name to 'seductive' yellow...ohhh yeah baby. :babeando:

Last edited:
My factory fog light restoration project is complete. Took everything apart, removed the oxidation, prepped & painted the lenses, cleaned up the mounting brackets, gave them a fresh coat of paint, then resealed the glass to the reflectors and put everything back together.
My initial plan was to go for the 'selective yellow' shade explained in Daniel Stern's article. His method works and works well, but I realized that I prefer the darker amber shade that each additional coat of Metalcast Yellow paint provided. (Thanks @KMG for the photo of yours). I stopped applying coats once I achieved the desired color.

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

My factory fog light restoration project is complete. Took everything apart, removed the oxidation, prepped & painted the lenses, cleaned up the mounting brackets, gave them a fresh coat of paint, then resealed the glass to the reflectors and put everything back together.
My initial plan was to go for the 'selective yellow' shade explained in Daniel Stern's article. His method works and works well, but I realized that I prefer the darker amber shade that each additional coat of Metalcast Yellow paint provided. (Thanks @KMG for the photo of yours). I stopped applying coats once I achieved the desired color.

View attachment 57988
View attachment 57989
View attachment 57990
View attachment 57991
View attachment 57992
View attachment 57993
View attachment 57994
View attachment 57996

Nicely done !!

Now we need a panoramic shot of the Jeep in an epic location with all the lights switched on :) :)

I like it! My factory fogs have one cracked lens, so I've got the KC Hilites Apollo Series in my Jeep Wrangler Shopping list at Amazon. You can get the Amber lenses for them.

I like it! My factory fogs have one cracked lens, so I've got the KC Hilites Apollo Series in my Jeep Wrangler Shopping list at Amazon. You can get the Amber lenses for them.

@Ranger_b0b call Daveys Jeep. I akso had one cracked lens and I bought 2 lenses from them for $20 each. Far cheaper then buying new ones.

Reactions: Mike_H
@Ranger_b0b call Daveys Jeep. I akso had one cracked lens and I bought 2 lenses from them for $20 each. Far cheaper then buying new ones.
Did he sell you just the lenses or the whole light? I guess it doesn't matter, but I really like the idea of having amber when I need it, or being able to remove them for Non fog, non dusty conditions.

Did he sell you just the lenses or the whole light? I guess it doesn't matter, but I really like the idea of having amber when I need it, or being able to remove them for Non fog, non dusty conditions.

I wanted only the lenses since my housing was fine and had no issues. They sell whole fog lights too. I understand what you are saying though about wanting removable lens caps.