OEM Mopar TrailGuide

rasband

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
My LJR came with the optional Mopar TrailGuide (the same as this one, though not my post: https://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/05september/mopar_trailguide.asp)

Is there much use to this in 2018? The maps are pretty useless for in town, but it seems like it could be marginally useful on long-established mountain passes.

The few items that come to mind:

1. Elevation
2. Trip tracking (moving time, stopped time, distance, max/average speed, etc)
3. Things that haven’t changed since 06 (many of our trails)

What other things do people use these for, or is it better to repurpose the tray it takes up for holding things (around town only I’d guess).

My LJR came with the optional Mopar TrailGuide (the same as this one, though not my post: https://www.rockcrawler.com/features/newsshorts/05september/mopar_trailguide.asp)

Is there much use to this in 2018? The maps are pretty useless for in town, but it seems like it could be marginally useful on long-established mountain passes.

The few items that come to mind:

1. Elevation
2. Trip tracking (moving time, stopped time, distance, max/average speed, etc)
3. Things that haven’t changed since 06 (many of our trails)

What other things do people use these for, or is it better to repurpose the tray it takes up for holding things (around town only I’d guess).
Most of the diehard tj fanatics love to have these because they are pretty rare. It’s a nice statement piece for sure. Outside of looking cool maps like you said are pretty useless.

It’s a technological brick. It’s cool no doubt, but at this point it’s unusable for the most part.

I always discouraged my friends/family from buying standalone GPS devices for the same reason - perhaps I’ll list this one for sale as I do my double din radio conversion.

I had one of these when they first came out. It was cool for it's day, and was like a hiker's GPS as opposed to a car unit that doesn't have off-road information. Since you already have it, you might want to check to see if Garmin still offers map upgrades for it. If I remember correctly, it has a "bread crumbs" feature where it will remember you route, it could be handy getting back out if you're exploring an unfamiliar off-road area

I had one of these when they first came out. It was cool for it's day, and was like a hiker's GPS as opposed to a car unit that doesn't have off-road information. Since you already have it, you might want to check to see if Garmin still offers map upgrades for it. If I remember correctly, it has a "bread crumbs" feature where it will remember you route, it could be handy getting back out if you're exploring an unfamiliar off-road area

It does have a few nice stats on it, but I found GAIA for iOS (probably android too) that looks like a good alternative thats a bit more extendable. I’m considering trying that in the spring.

It does have a few nice stats on it, but I found GAIA for iOS (probably android too) that looks like a good alternative thats a bit more extendable. I’m considering trying that in the spring.
Yeah, it is a 15 year old GPS, the new stuff is far better.

Love your Commando BTW, I always wanted one of those. I settled for an old Cherokee.

IMG_0130.JPG

Yeah, it is a 15 year old GPS, the new stuff is far better.

Love your Commando BTW, I always wanted one of those. I settled for an old Cherokee.

Thank you! That Cherokee is pretty nice too, that was on my list of options, I've loved that platform and get to enjoy my brother in law's occasionally.

This is why I always tell people not to buy the "infotainment" packages in new cars with the built-in navigation. In 10 years max they become outdated technology and no longer do what they used to.

It makes me appreciate the fact that a TJ is a simple, single DIN stereo that can very easily be replaced and upgraded as time goes by with the latest technology.

This is why I always tell people not to buy the "infotainment" packages in new cars with the built-in navigation. In 10 years max they become outdated technology and no longer do what they used to.

It makes me appreciate the fact that a TJ is a simple, single DIN stereo that can very easily be replaced and upgraded as time goes by with the latest technology.

No kidding. I test drove a number of cars before I bought my previous ride (BMW) and found how bad all the infotainment systems are: Ford Sync, Cadillac ...something..., BMW iDrive, etc. I ended up going sans-infotainment in my car because they were all so spotty. I do, however, think Android Auto and Apple Carplay will be around a while and remain useful - though I still favor an aftermarket deck.

Going to list the trailguide here tomorrow and ebay if no interest here and re-"invest" that in the TJ.

No kidding. I test drove a number of cars before I bought my previous ride (BMW) and found how bad all the infotainment systems are: Ford Sync, Cadillac ...something..., BMW iDrive, etc. I ended up going sans-infotainment in my car because they were all so spotty. I do, however, think Android Auto and Apple Carplay will be around a while and remain useful - though I still favor an aftermarket deck.

Going to list the trailguide here tomorrow and ebay if no interest here and re-"invest" that in the TJ.

The only vehicle I’ve found that has a good infotainment system is the Tesla’s. But I guess when you’re spending that sort of money, you expect it! All the other ones I’ve tried are clunky and unintuitive.

The only vehicle I’ve found that has a good infotainment system is the Tesla’s. But I guess when you’re spending that sort of money, you expect it! All the other ones I’ve tried are clunky and unintuitive.

They are also the only ones to get OTA updates and not require a dealer visit, I think!

They are also the only ones to get OTA updates and not require a dealer visit, I think!

Yep, you're right about that. And they designed the vehicle around that thing, so it was made to be way more than just an infotainment center.

Still, just like all technology, there will be a point where it's obsolete. It's impossible to keep up with technology.