OEM Radio Identification

jrcotner

Supporting Member
The CD player on my '05 Wrangler is dead and I'd like to replace it with a refurbished OEM unit. I was informed that the specific model can be determined by the VIN through the local dealer. I contacted my local dealer, and actually spoke with a human, and they dutifully took my info and said they'd get back to me. And promptly never did. Does anyone know of another route to determine the radio model? I don't want to tear apart the dash just to get this info unless absolutely necessary. I'd prefer going the VIN route if at all possible.

You can find these on eBay and Facebook Marketplace. I've done it a few times myself. Yours (curved corners) is pretty easy to find in the $50 range. Mine (square corners) is harder to find.

I actually had one of yours lying around until last week, and sold it on Facebook for $30.

If you want to get a refurbished one with upgrades (Bluetooth, etc.), you can check out 1FactoryRadio.com

• Love
Reactions: Head Lice
You realize it's 2 screws and probably 2 other screws retaining the radio and you could have the oem part number right? I could have had your radio out and on the seat in the time it took you to write this post. You can then get on ebay and find the exact match and either have that one refurbished or take a chance it's functional.

Some factory radios actually have the model number in small print on the face plate.
Otherwise removal of the radio bezel is only a couple screws and then there are 4 screws holding the radio into the dash board.
Post a picture of the radio and one of the forum members may know what model it is....

The CD player on my '05 Wrangler is dead and I'd like to replace it with a refurbished OEM unit. I was informed that the specific model can be determined by the VIN through the local dealer. I contacted my local dealer, and actually spoke with a human, and they dutifully took my info and said they'd get back to me. And promptly never did. Does anyone know of another route to determine the radio model? I don't want to tear apart the dash just to get this info unless absolutely necessary. I'd prefer going the VIN route if at all possible.

You're overthinking this. Ebay has them. Just look for one that looks the same as the one you already have.

Thanks for the info. I emailed back and forth the radio refurbisher mentioned above, and told him it was from an '05 Wrangler with "RBK" on the front. He said that's not enough, I need the specific model number. In any event, I suppose I'll remove it from the dash to get what 1FactoryRadio needs.

Thanks for the info. I emailed back and forth the radio refurbisher mentioned above, and told him it was from an '05 Wrangler with "RBK" on the front. He said that's not enough, I need the specific model number. In any event, I suppose I'll remove it from the dash to get what 1FactoryRadio needs.

From my experience, that's not quite true. As long as you know whether the new one has whatever features you want (multi-disc CD change, etc.), then these are all plug-and-play from 2003 onward. Again, 1FactoryRadio.com has very helpful reps, if you'd like to chat with one of them.

Reactions: Head Lice