Off-Road Only AirRock & How it Works

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
I was asked how this system works so I thought instead of clogging up another persons thread I'd start one so interested people could ask questions.

Off-Road Only They offer a lot of different kits for many platforms of Jeep but this is a TJ forum so for the TJ they offer a 4" & 6" kit. You can use it on a short arm or long arm suspension. The also offer a Dual Rate swaybar setup that you can use a air cylinder to lock and unlock it.

They system is a self leveling kit that is controled by a computer and a dash controller. Under 25 MPH you can be in manual mode and adjust your ride height or tilt the Jeep side to side, front to back & corner to corner. When you go above 35 MPH it goes into highway mode and lowers the suspension down to a preset height and then self adjusts no matter how much weight you have in the Jeep or if you are towing a trailer. It also self levels as you go around corners.

Here are pictures of the computer and air manifold
IMG_3543.JPG
IMG_3544.JPG
IMG_3545.JPG

Here is what it looks like hooked up.

IMG00684[1].jpg

Then this is the controller for the dash

IMG_3546.JPG
IMG_3547.JPG

The system uses height sensors to determine how much air to put into each air bag. The sensors are connected to the lower arms of your suspension.

IMG00698[1].jpg
IMG00699[1].jpg

Here is the SwayLoc Dual Rate front swaybar. You can lock and unlock it with the dash controller.

IMG00270[1].jpg

This video isn't of my TJ but it shows what the AirRock can do.

Here is my TJ going thru the Demo Mode also.

So fire off your questions and I will try to answer any of them that I can. It isn't a cheap system and I don't think it is what EVERYONE wants but I am a lower right leg amputee and so being able to lower my TJ down to it's bump stops for getting into and out of it sure helps. When I bought the system I hadn't had my leg amputated yet but I had been shot in the leg while deployed to Iraq so I had mobility issues with my right leg. Even on 38" tires it makes it easier with it lowered down.

Cool system. I intend to add an Airlift system to my Mustang as soon as I can stop spending the money on my jeep. Very similar setup.

How does the raising and lowering work with the rear driveline and pinion angles? I would think the change would create driveline vibrations.

How does the raising and lowering work with the rear driveline and pinion angles? I would think the change would create driveline vibrations.
It is possible to design a suspension that keeps the pinion correct as it raises and lowers. I’m not sure it that’s how they are designed.

Does anyone know the extended and collapsed length of the shocks used? I was considering this kit but I want to make sure I don’t overextend the current suspension or rub the tires excessively. (I found measurements for the old Edelbrock shocks but not the new Radflo shocks)

I made a thread this past spring asking this question is a way. I was trying to figure out how to make the BEST suspension for a variable height suspension. But it was decided that since it rides at about 4" of lift off-road and at 3" of lift on road it wasn't a huge deal. I've never noticed any driveline vibrations with it but I do have a HP TeraLow CRD 60 rear axle.

Does anyone know the extended and collapsed length of the shocks used? I was considering this kit but I want to make sure I don’t overextend the current suspension or rub the tires excessively. (I found measurements for the old Edelbrock shocks but not the new Radflo shocks)

I have the Walker Evans shocks on mine right now so I can't answer this question and my TJ is torn apart right now so I can't cycle the suspension. Which kit are you looking at? As I said above there is a 4" and 6" kit so that would dictate how much travel you have out of your shocks.

What suspension kit do you have on your TJ right now? How much lift?

Last edited:
Okay I forgot to answer these questions in my first post.
1) How does the air bags ride compared to coils:
Here is a coil sprung TJ climbing a hill. Watch the body bounce as he is trying to climb this hill. Now why he has such a heck of a time I don't know but it's the best example I have.

Now watch my TJ on air bags climb the same hill and watch the suspension work but the body stays relatively smooth as I come up it.

2) What is the good and bad about the air bags:
A) I have found on REALLY steep hills my front end gets too light sometimes. I've been told this could be a shock valving issue or a suspension issue. I'm not sure which but I am planning on stretching the WB of my TJ out some to try and help it climb better. Right now I have my eyes on a Savvy mid arm kit and will push the rear back about 4-5" and then the front 2" to try and get as close to 100" WB at ride height.

B) You have to make sure you have clearance of the air bags since if they rub on something they can rip or a hole worn into them. You also have to make sure no sharp edges or parts come into contact with them.
I've unfortunately had to replace TWO air bags.

The first one I rub a hole in it when I had moved my track bar above the axle and didn't radius the bracket so it had a sharp edge on it.

IMG00755[1].jpg
IMG00853[1].jpg

So here is the damage it did to the bag. It doesn't leak but I fixed the mount and then put a new bag in place and kept this one as a spare.

IMG00873[1].jpg
IMG00874[1].jpg
IMG00875[1].jpg
IMG00877[1].jpg

The second time was EVEN more of a FUBA. I had used one of this winged nuts that come with the stock suspension and didn't turn it so it couldn't rotate. And I was in Moab out on a trail when I cut it so had to limp back into my camp ground and then overnight a new air bag becasue I had left my spare at home. Steve (owner of ORO) took great care of me and even put me in contact with another Jeeper who was in Moab to help me out.

IMGP0324.JPG

The suspension cycling up and down made it rotate and sliced right thru the side of the air bag. Dumb mistake but live and learn.

IMGP0778.JPG
IMGP0871.JPG

So I bent the wing over so it can't move again. I don't think I took any pictures of the sliced air bag.
Changing out the air bag in the campground in Moab.

IMGP0448.jpg

If you look at the other pictures you can see how it rotated and cut the bag.

IMGP0457.jpg

To give you an idea of how much it will raise and low here is some shots from the front.
Fully up

IMG00823[1].jpg

Fully down

IMG00824[1].jpg

I went from 35" Toyo MT tires to 38" TSL Super Swamper SX tires and here is picture of me flexing out on a 30* ramp. Scored a 1100 on it.

IMGP2537.jpg

@Chris not a problem. People started to ask some questions so I thought I would try and answer a few of them.

Now I know this is a expensive setup but if you have a bad back or other issue and are thinking about having to get rid of your TJ due to the ride then I suggest you look into this to make your rig ride better. I know this system isn't for everyone and it doesn't work in all situations.

Nothing on my TJ is stock from the front to the rear. The tub is about the only thing left that hasn't been touched. And because of that I have had more issues than if my rig still had stock axles under it or if it wasn't so modified.

It is possible to design a suspension that keeps the pinion correct as it raises and lowers. I’m not sure it that’s how they are designed.

On stock Y-link steering, toe will also change along with the changing ride height. It seems like "highway mode" would be the height where toe, caster, etc would be at their optimal settings. All other ride heights would be compromised.

On stock Y-link steering, toe will also change along with the changing ride height. It seems like "highway mode" would be the height where toe, caster, etc would be at their optimal settings. All other ride heights would be compromised.
Correct. And that’s also why I believe their kit gets rid of the Y link.

If it was my DD then yes I would agree with you but this is a 75% trail rig and 25% on road rig. I've never noticed any issues with steering BUT I do have hyd assist also.

The U-Turn is still crossover steering that disrupts the track bar/drag link relationship unless the track bar also gets moved.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford