Off Road Trailer / Kayak Trailer

Dawghouse

Jeep Addict
Supporting Member
A little background first. This trailer use to belong to my father in law, he passed away last month 79 years old, US Marine Sniper for 6 years. I think it is somewhere around 40 years old. He use to work at DuPont and this is where he got it from. It has a T frame that makes up the outer frame. From what I can tell it was made to carry some type of equipment on it, possibly a large generator and it bolted to the T part of the frame. He had someone to convert it to a small trailer.
1.JPG
2.JPG

Once I got it into the shop I flipped it over to see what needed to go. I don't believe I have ever seen a makeshift axle like this before. I guess the tires ( which have a two piece wheel with a tube inside ) is the suspension. Now I know why it bounced a lot. lol

3.JPG
4.JPG
8.JPG

The axle was placed center of the trailer, and would dance for you if you didn't load it just right. Time to get to cutting.

5.JPG
6.JPG

I best friend who loves to forge started drooling when he saw the solid steel axles. I have never seen anyone build an axle like this.

At this point I haven't decided if I was going to keep the wood floor or remove it. So I decided to get the axle setup. I moved the axle back 12" which put it at 4' from the front and 2' off of the rear. This add some tongue weight plus I'm adding 24" to the tongue making it 4"
9.JPG

Just wanted to get an idea of where it would sit. Back to cleaning up

11.JPG

Getting the axle square to the frame, along with some other measurements to double check.

13.JPG

The axle is installed with a spring over for lift. Bottom of frame sanded best I could and coated twice. Ready to put the 35-12.50 x 15" tires on and flip it over.

27.JPG

Time to extend the tongue. The 2'-8" piece that was on it is a 2X2 .250 wall so I added a 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 .250 to it so I could use one of my 3 axis hitch I built last year on the trailer.
16.JPG
18.JPG

I decided to take it out for a pull to make sure it tracks straight and pulls good. Didn't want to get to far encase I needed to tweak anything.
21.JPG

It pulls and tracks great. Now to back back and remove the rails and the floor.

28.JPG
29.JPG
30.JPG

This is a good look at the T frame
31.JPG
32.JPG

I'm going to add two more cross braces to it. And maybe run a tongue out the back so I can add a receiver.
IMG_1963.JPG

I picked up 20ft of 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 .120 wall square stock on the way home today. I've got to get some more material tomorrow. Still need to do a lot of clean up on the outer part of the frame before I start the floor and the rails. More to come in a few days........

Nice work. :thumbsup: That's an interesting trailer. I don't think I've seen one with "bent" angle iron.

I haven't either. I did notice last night after I removed all of the wood. The frame is actually a two piece frame. In the center of the rear is were the split is. It is welded and reinforced with a piece of plate steel.

I remove the old floor out of the trailer.

Installed 2x6 pressure treated boards.

ce96cbaad13bfd6c4dda3d27e6029c65.jpg

Starting on the post and rails tomorrow. Still have some cleanup to do on the outer ban of the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JeepNWilly
I also picked up some trailer jeep fenders today at Northern Tool. I’m thinking I will have to cut some of the legs down a bit. View attachment 36675

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmmmm yeah thanks barber just a light trim off the back and sides please lol
Love how this is progressing

Reactions: Dawghouse
I also picked up some trailer jeep fenders today at Northern Tool. I’m thinking I will have to cut some of the legs down a bit. View attachment 36675
I had the same situation with my trailer fenders. I split the fenders at the bend to change the shape and then rewelded them. It provided lots of clearance around the tires. You can pretty much dial in the clearance to what ever you want.

picture.jpg

1. picture.jpg

1. picture.jpg

There's a bit more information in this thread ...
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/148123-PCO6-s-Trailer-Build

Got the corners welded in.
IMG_1984.JPG

I decided to only cut three rails at this point. Front, and both sides. Haven't decided what style tailgate I want to fab just yet. I also cut the cross pieces for the kayak mounts to bolt to. Decided to so do a test fit.

IMG_1988.JPG

I had some extra wood left over from the floor. I cut them to the fit the front over the tongue.
IMG_1995.JPG

I've got to go to Home Depot tomorrow to pick up a few pieces of steel. A flat piece for over the tongue to hold the wood in place. And some 1/2" square stock for behind the top of the fenders.
I also need to installed the C jack and fab a foot for it that is detachable. Hopefully I can get all of the welding done tomorrow. Then it is time for paint. It;s been a long day lol........

It's another busy week at work, and trying to get this trailer finished before Sunday. I've got several jeeps backing up to do mods on.

I decided to use some 12" wide 16ga G-90 we had at the shop for the side panels. I cut 7" off of each end of the fenders to give a real good fit.
IMG_2004.JPG

I went with a C-Jack rated at 3000Ibs for the tongue jack. The other type of jacks always seems to get in the way or lean to one side. These are also used for stabilizers for the rear of RV's. I picked up two one for this trailer and my camping trailer. I need put a spacer between the rear of the C jack mount to level it still.
IMG_2005.JPG

Got the front boards secured to the frame. Lots of drilling. lol
IMG_2011.JPG

The outside is primed and top coated. Still have to paint in the inside. Once I get it painted. I'm going to spray it again with rustolene bed line spray.
IMG_2014.JPG

Things left to do. finish the painting, bed line spray, chains for the tongue, led tail lights and wiring.

It's coming along quite nicely!

Thank you, I sent my brother in law a pic of the old trailer last night. He hasn't seen anything that I have done to it since I brought it home. He didn't believe me that it was the same trailer. He said wow you've done a lot. I said nah, I just gave it some steroids. lol