Offending my skinny white American girl daughter (or am I a racist?)

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
So the wife went to the grocery store last night and when she came home she said, "The only thing I couldn't get was lettuce", and "The lady at the check out told me the Chinese restaurants buy almost all of it every morning."

The 23 yr old daughter, currently staying here to avoid Covid-19 from her apt mates etc said, "Don't worry mom, I'll go in the morning."

So far, so good.

This morning I'm checking out this forum, she comes downstairs, and my son says something about her trip to get lettuce. She responds,"Yeah, I'll go some time this morning."

I think the store opened about 1/2 an hour earlier and said, "You better go soon, you never know how many rickshaws the Chinese loaded up and pedaled away."

Daughter, "Dad! Stop saying racist things!"
Me, "In China rickshaws are everywhere and Chinese restaurants are owned by Chinese people..."
Daughter, "Stop! Just stop saying racist things!"

I would probably not mention rickshaws too loud in a Chinese restaurant. Oh, who knows, maybe I would.

Would I avoid using the term in general public? Ha! How is that even a question?

Will I use it again in this straight white American male adult's house? As long as there is a reason, definitely! Heck, I just typed it here a couple times.

So the wife went to the grocery store last night and when she came home she said, "The only thing I couldn't get was lettuce", and "The lady at the check out told me the Chinese restaurants buy almost all of it every morning."

The 23 yr old daughter, currently staying here to avoid Covid-19 from her apt mates etc said, "Don't worry mom, I'll go in the morning."

So far, so good.

This morning I'm checking out this forum, she comes downstairs, and my son says something about her trip to get lettuce. She responds,"Yeah, I'll go some time this morning."

I think the store opened about 1/2 an hour earlier and said, "You better go soon, you never know how many rickshaws the Chinese loaded up and pedaled away."

Daughter, "Dad! Stop saying racist things!"
Me, "In China rickshaws are everywhere and Chinese restaurants are owned by Chinese people..."
Daughter, "Stop! Just stop saying racist things!"

I would probably not mention rickshaws too loud in a Chinese restaurant. Oh, who knows, maybe I would.

Would I avoid using the term in general public? Ha! How is that even a question?

Will I use it again in this straight white American male adult's house? As long as there is a reason, definitely! Heck, I just typed it here a couple times.
You're good, no more racist than saying blacks live on watermelon, fried chicken, and purple drank.

They cruise around in rickshaws on Mira, Royal detective...I think you'll be fine. (The joy of having a 4-year-old)
156eafada64a1ad48532eb2bc19f85fe43f0af0f.jpg

I agree completely.

I think a lot of it depends on how you meant it. It doesn’t seem racist to me, but what do I know.

On the bright side, I just heard Blaine say “purple drank” 🤣
There is such a difference between generations when making generalizations about cultures. This generation gets there panties all in a wad over the tiniest things said, especially when they are true. That tells us a lot.

WTF kind of Chinese restaurants do you have there?
I've never seen lettuce at a Chinese restaurant.
Are they skimping because it's cheaper than cabbage right now?

Good point. I’ve yet to see lettuce at any Chinese restaurant here.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
There is such a difference between generations when making generalizations about cultures. This generation gets there panties all in a wad over the tiniest things said, especially when they are true. That tells us a lot.

Yep, they are also the “trial by Twitter” folks (aka guilty until proven innocent) and the ones who will complain because a guy in a Peloton exercise bike commercial gave his wife an exercise bike for Christmas, so he must be trying to insinuate she’s “fat”. 🙄

I'd double down and build a rickshaw and have her pull you around with it. Or maybe go grocery shopping with it and buy all the lettuce. If she says anything then she's the racist...

I think calling everything racist, makes more people racist and adds heat to the friction. I would think laughing together and recognizing different distinctions, but not putting someone down would act like the oil between different ways of life. Remove the oil and stuff gets hot and broken pretty quickly.

I don't even listen to the blithering idiots that scream racist. That word is so over-used as to become meaningless. I now automatically assume someone is not a racist if they are called a racist. A stupid twerp in a supermarket told my wife and I that the word oriental was a racial slur. I promptly told her she was a f-ing moron.