Official Jeep warranty recall on 0331 head casting

tjryder

Dear T Jeepers,

I am one of those lucky owners of 2000 TJ 4.0 with 0331 head cating, non "tuppy".

I was wandering if Jeep ever officially admitted the problem, did any under warranty repairs, recalls etc?

Any links?

All info will be greatly appriciated 👍😎

For some reason I was amazed to see that title and thought FCA finally did something about the dozen or so heads like that, that are still alive, as a "Look how nice we are!" publicity stunt.

Of course that reason could be that I'm wrong about it happening and/or why. Another post or two may let us know for sure.

If it has not cracked yet, 20 years later, there will definitely not be warranty today. The powertrain warranty was 3 year, 36K miles and 7 years, 80K miles if you bought the extended warranty.

If it cracked within the warranty if got replaced, there was never a recall.

Reactions: pagrey
The TJ I have was never a DD. Just a Toy. Low miles.

I was wondering if there was ever any official Jeep statement on those heads? Or is it just on the forums and user reports and findings?

The manufacturer would never acknowledge a defect because it would set them up for lawsuits. They quietly changed the casting in 2002 to fix the problem.

I admit I read your subject line and got excited; I too have a 2000, and the possibility of a cracked head is always on the back of my mind.

Reactions: jeepguy03