Official TJ Fest 2021 picture thread

I got mine in the mail.

rf8kky78kc931.jpg

Finally got time to download and sort of learn a new video editor, as I have been slowly changing everything over to windows 10. Movie Maker was fairly decent for what it was, but the new video editor in 10 left me wanting more. Went with Shotcut (it's free!!!) and am pretty happy with it. Quickly edited the first one this morning and got it rendered and uploaded.

This was the offroad route, or, part of the offroad route, to Tower Arch in Arches National Park. I'll try to get some more worked on and posted. @Coachyak @Timnic123

So did Windows 10 decontent their movie program? Apple is famous for that, now Microsoft has gotten into that game. Trying to make my computer into a crippled "device". I went through the same thing on the Mac - iMovie was decontented and had numerous bugs as well. Shotcut is pretty good. A bit odd to run until you get used to it, but it has its own logic (mostly!).

When I worked IT, people would ask me "Apple or Microsoft?". I'd tell them that I had the same agreement with both: "They keep doing stupid shit, and I keep cussing at them. The only difference is if Apple does it, its a Good Thing (tm); but even on the rare occasions Microsoft gets something right, nobody's happy!". Apple's xenophobia and stupidity would have gotten them laughed out of business years ago, but because they're a religion, its a Good Thing (tm). I'm going back to Linux "next time" - I'm done with the bugs and decontented software - Apple's crippling of iPhoto was the last straw. Tired of buying into Apple's infrastructure, then having them either decontent it to the point of uselessness, OR dropping it like a hot potato a few years later to run off to the Next Big Thing like an 8 year old on a smartphone fix. Microsoft actually has had a better history for backwards compatibility and consistency - but if there's an industry standard, Microsoft will break it or bastardize it.

Reactions: 04solartj
Zorba
This has been my main OS for a long time.
My family mostly use microsoft 10
i have not nor will i repair or do work of any kind on a mac
in 30 yrs
I switched to Mac from Linux about 20 years ago as the Linux of the day was buggy and I got tired of having to fix literally EVERYTHING constantly. Mac OS X was "Linux that somebody else supported and did the bug fixes on". Then I learned the "Apple Way". An OS "upgrade" every single year that didn't do anything for me - only broke everything and decontented the rest. As far as I'm concerned, there's very little difference between "Jaguar" - the first version of OS X I encountered, and "High Sierra" - the one I'm running now. But Goddess help you if you didn't upgrade fairly quickly - Apple will drop you like a hot potato if you're more than a year or two back. I've seen it with their hardware as well. The entire Apple ecosystem is this way - if your OS isn't the latest, half the software won't run on it. Contrast to Microsoft, where at least "most" software will run for decades.

Never mind Apple's constant processor switching. Their "Rosetta" is an excellent solution - BUT - they dropped that "last time" after only 2 years, and I was stuck with Power PC software that would no longer run. Now they're doing it AGAIN with their "Apple Silicon" - how long will this version of Rosetta be provided? Not long I'm quite sure from long experience. I'll also mention their increasingly unreadable low contrast software - medium grey on blinding white.

Reactions: 04solartj
So did Windows 10 decontent their movie program? Shotcut is pretty good. A bit odd to run until you get used to it, but it has its own logic (mostly!).
Yes, sort of. It is not Movie Maker. It is a movie editor, barely. It's just like what they tried to do with W10. Simplified, lol, "app"-fied it for the smart phone consumer. If you want to put a couple clips together and maybe trim a clip, it might work. Got so frustrated after 5 minutes with it while trying to use the mousepad on the new laptop in Moab, I said forget it. I'll deal with it at home. I had been looking at other programs, sort of, like Finalcut Pro, but was having trouble justifying the expense for an amateur. Shotcut has filled the shortime need of replacing/surpassing Movie Maker and appears to have the tools I was looking for in other programs.

In trying to learn W10 movie editor, I came across this video:

The guy did such an outstanding job, I looked at a couple of his other videos, one was top 5 free video editors. That's where I came across Shotcut. My videos above are nothing special, and could probably have been done in W10. But to get me back where I was at with Movie Maker, I'm really digging Shotcut. Can't beat the price either.

Reactions: Zorba
Yes, sort of. It is not Movie Maker. It is a movie editor, barely. It's just like what they tried to do with W10. Simplified, lol, "app"-fied it for the smart phone consumer.
"App-ified it". Great terminology. Apple started this crap, but MS is following suit. I bitch bitterly about Apple's iPhoto. It morphed into a decontented something called "Photos", that by Apple's own admission, was made for the snapshot/snapchat/instagram crowd. So now I have several thousand photos in a program that Apple has dropped like a hot potato - per their usual. Windows 10 is ugly as home made sin, but it does work.

Oh, and in W10, if you are looking at your pictures and zoomed in, the "next" arrows disappear. You have to zoom back out before clicking to view the next pic. Bastards.

Tested my fear of heights on this one!!!!

Reactions: reddvltj and Zorba
Come on over, it’s great here. I’ve been full time Linux for the last 12 years and don’t imagine any reasons come up to change that after seeing all this stuff.
Yea - its gotten MUCH better since I last played with Red Hat 20 years ago or so. Things mostly "just work" now, and if you don't like the operating environment, you can change it.

I am heading to Colorado and should make it to Moab as well. I am seeing trail difficulties ratings appear to jive between EJS and let’s say for instance the Jeep badge of honor App.

But the when I read reviews written the trails are described easier than the rating would suggest.
What are your opinions of the trail ratings?

I am heading to Colorado and should make it to Moab as well. I am seeing trail difficulties ratings appear to jive between EJS and let’s say for instance the Jeep badge of honor App.

But the when I read reviews written the trails are described easier than the rating would suggest.
What are your opinions of the trail ratings?
Of the trails I’ve run, the ratings tend to overstate the actual difficulty. But that could just be my lack of general fear.